Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2011, 03:28 AM   #211
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I must have a mutant copy then simico.
No unreliability for me - only lens variability noticed so far...
Or we just shoot under totally different conditions and with totally different lenses
At least my mutant cam didn't have the AF issue with fw 1.01 and 1.02

04-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #212
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Allison, manual flash shouldn't cause you any grief on any camera since you have total control of light output. It's P-TTL that's the point of discussion here, and it seems to have variable exposure issues but not with everyone as you've seen. It wouldn't matter which flash you invested in, but the AF540FGZ is just a fine piece of engineering.
Well, I think I am going to go AF540FGZ. I have been dragging my feet on this hoping for a firmware update that will fix the flash issue with P-TTL. I know I can shoot manual (and I do for part of the reception where I have a light set up), but I do like P-TTL for weddings because the conditions change so quickly. It just makes those impromptu dancing shots much easier.
04-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #213
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure you'll find the AF540FGZ to be satisfactory for your needs Allison. I'd suggest trial shoots with the various lenses you use for your weddings to note the behaviour of flash exposure with each lens. This would make you confident you can be in any photographic condition and be able to quickly adapt to it for flashed exposures.

Nice work on your website also.
04-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #214
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Go with the Metz 58 af-2

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
Well, I think I am going to go AF540FGZ. I have been dragging my feet on this hoping for a firmware update that will fix the flash issue with P-TTL. I know I can shoot manual (and I do for part of the reception where I have a light set up), but I do like P-TTL for weddings because the conditions change so quickly. It just makes those impromptu dancing shots much easier.
Hello Allison. I shoot weddings as well and I would go with the Metz 58 af-2. My partner and I have 2 of them. The great thing about them is the A mode. It is an A mode Thyristor flash setting that works better than Pttl in my opinion (also if and when there is a firmware update, you can go back to Pttl if you want). It works much easier than the Pentax AF540FGZ because it automatically recognizes your shutter, ISO, and apterture in A mode. On the Pentax you have to dial it in. Also, the Metz shoe is metal. One more note is that you can get a P76 battery for the Metz that you can put on your belt and get no delay in shot to shot (no flash recharge time).

04-15-2011, 04:18 AM   #215
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure about that efkelly. You may have had a good experience with the Metz, and it is a fine flash also, but the AF540FGZ works fine for me in P-TTL mode for all my previous and current cameras, and there is no need to dial anything in to make it work. The AF540FGZ also has A mode if so desired.

Unfortunately, the TR III power pack for the AF540FGZ lengthens battery life but does not shorten recycle time significantly enough, so the Metz would be the clear winner if this was an issue (it hasn't been for me for any of my weddings so far).
04-15-2011, 05:31 AM   #216
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure about that efkelly. You may have had a good experience with the Metz, and it is a fine flash also, but the AF540FGZ works fine for me in P-TTL mode for all my previous and current cameras, and there is no need to dial anything in to make it work. The AF540FGZ also has A mode if so desired.

Unfortunately, the TR III power pack for the AF540FGZ lengthens battery life but does not shorten recycle time significantly enough, so the Metz would be the clear winner if this was an issue (it hasn't been for me for any of my weddings so far).
Interesting! Could you post the following test like the one I did here with the same settings and a K-5?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/136720-k-5-bounce-flash-...onse-metz.html

The above have been my experience with Metz and Pentax flashes (and Metz themselves have tested the K-5 with Pentax flashes as well and have seen the same problem-look at their response). I have tested the above parameters on 4 different K-5 bodies with all the same results.

Also, the A mode on the Metz is way easier to use than the A mode on the 540. On the 540 you have to dial in your settings. On the Metz it automatically detects your settings in A mode. Also, I forgot to mention that the 540 has known issues with locking on the hotshoe, battery door problems, and the swivel head not stiff enough to use certain flash diffusers (fong, or flip-it) which are pretty important to wedding photographers. I'm not trying to bash the 540 or Pttl, but I have shot 3 weddings so far with 4 pentax k-5 bodies and they all have major problems with Pttl. That's why I have posted the above link and that's why I use the A setting. The above link describes the problem in detail and I'm pretty sure if you use the same settings as in my test with an 8ft. ceiling, you will see the same thing. Also, I have posted results from the Kr as well... If you could post similar pictures with the same settings, I would appreciate it...

Eric
04-15-2011, 06:19 AM   #217
Veteran Member

Well, after reading all of last nights and today's posts I am now wondering if I made the right choice. I ordered the 540 yesterday.

I really want to pttl to work, but it doesn't seem like it works quite right with any flash out there. As a side note, I am not sure exactly how much I will use the flash over my light. I also just purchased the Vagabond Mini (which is amazing, fyi) so that I could take a light on outdoor portrait shoots and I am thinking I will take that to some weddings as well to get some cool effects. I plan on using both the k20 and the k5 at a wedding, so I am thinking that I will be best putting the 540 on the k20 and using the light and my v4 triggers on the light.

As to a trial shoot, I already planned on that. I am going to have to try a couple of different scenarios before the first wedding.

04-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #218
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
with an expensive combo of a K5 and the 540 you should be able to shoot flash with impunity in any situation, without worrying about a thing.

Is this not the case??
04-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #219
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
with an expensive combo of a K5 and the 540 you should be able to shoot flash with impunity in any situation, without worrying about a thing.

Is this not the case??
I don't believe there is a system where this is the case. If you're looking for the best results, you just can't substitute expensive equipment for the attention and skill of the photographer. I've used Canon, Nikon, and Olympus TTL flash as well as Pentax's. In the film days, Oly was the best with a bullet, but even it could be fooled.

I did experience the problem under discussion (increasing exposure level with bounce flash as ISO increases). It doesn't particularly bother me for several reasons. First, I nearly always noodle the flash exposure compensation to get better exposure because environmental factors will significantly affect your flash exposure. For instance, shooting a single individual with a big, dark, open room behind 'em will overexpose the person (generally), whereas shooting that same person in white against a white wall will underexpose them with the same camera settings.

So i find the systematic overexposure to be a flaw, it's not a major problem as long as it's consistent (and with my rig - the K-5 and Metz - it is).
04-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #220
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Eric, I'm currently far away from home and only with my Sigma EF500 flash at present, which behaves the same way as my AF540FGZ as far as I can tell - excellent P-TTL results when buddied with the DA 18-55 at EV 0 to +0.7 as expected with that lens, but consistently overexposed by 2 stops with my FA 43. I'll be looking more into this in a couple of months.

The physical problems of the flash notwithstanding, the AF540FGZ works seamlessly with all my previous cameras.

In this regard, I'd reassure you Allison that the AF540FGZ is never a bad choice to be buddied up with your K-5, with the caveat that you should do dry runs of all your intended photographic situations to ensure that any noted 'flaws' are elucidated, understood and ironed out if necessary. Let us know how you go with it.
04-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #221
Veteran Member

iv performed extensive tests regarding flash problems - i would like to give the examples with pictures but finally i'v realised that there is just couple of setups when my flashes works flawlesly in pttl mode - conditions are as fallow: direct flash (bounced always overexposes apart from iso 80-160) - when i use pttl cord with flash results are the same...; when the flash head is in normal position (not tilted) everythings fine even with mini beauty dish attached ar other type of diffuser - i'v checked with stoffen mini beauty dish and omnibounce.... however similar to Ash with DA40 and DA17-70 in the middle of focal lenght betw 35-50mm my k5 suffers overexposure, at 17mm and 70 everything s fine unless i tilt the flash head of course.... I ended with only possible option for pttl - 1) i use pttl cord if i need to bounce the flash from sorrounding surface 2) i try to avoid focal lenght 35-50mmm and 3) under any circumstances i woldnt tilt the flash head - what for anyway with cord i can direct the flash everywhere... 4) if i can... i use low iso 80, 100, 160 in this range everythings fine despite other factors 5) switching highlits compensation on helps....
I think that if Ash performed similar tests the results would be the same - best regards to everyone i hope that thread shouldnt die so pentax know everything is NO allright ;-((((
if Pentax not resolved the flash problem, once new nikons FF arrive i change the ship without hasitation....

Last edited by filorp; 04-30-2011 at 05:32 PM.
05-04-2011, 03:14 AM   #222

> i hope that thread shouldnt die so pentax know everything is NO allright ;-((((

I would think that a more effective way is if a large amount of users keep sending in problem reports/reminders to Pentax. Forum threads are a great source for information and exchange of user experiences, but they probably have weak influence over resourcing decisions for bug fixes.
05-04-2011, 03:29 AM   #223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stefanlindmark Quote
more effective way is if a large amount of users keep sending in problem reports/reminders to Pentax
yeah thats right and i'v done my job here... they answered:

"We have been following the discussion on Pentaxforum.com regarding this issue:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/119808-k-5-flash.html
This issue is not completely solved at the moment, but Pentax is working on a solution"

there is no point to bash them every day with new e-mail.... i think best way to let them know is forum....
05-04-2011, 03:44 AM   #224
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The forum is great for communal input, but I still think it's important to let Pentax to know directly, otherwise there would be too much false fault reports to have to sift through and/or address.

If Pentax staff were indeed relying on this forum for feedback, I'd like to see their presence on it - if they're going to be hammered everyday with feedback emails, they may as well respond to concerns en masse.
05-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #225
Veteran Member

I had forgotten all the details of this thread, but did a test today of the Metz 48 flash on the K5. I stood at one end of a 12' bathroom with complete darkness, focused at the opposite the wall using the focus assist light of the flash, and then shot.

I mistakenly had the K5 on 12,800iso to start with. The 0deg shot was fine but the 45deg shot was over exposed on a Tamy 28-75 lens at 28mm f8. Setting the K5 to 100iso, the K5 flash exposed properly at 0, 45, and 90 degrees with a DA21 and the Tamy 28-75 at 28mm. Focus was excellent by the way in all tests, even when i couldn't see the focus assist target very well with the DA-21 in place.