Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manual lenses and the K-5

OK, so I'm reading the K-5 manual and come across this in the appendix regarding shooting with the old manual lenses.
M mode
"Pictures can be taken with a set aperture value and shutter speed. In the viewfinder F--- appears for the aperture indicator. When the depth of field is checked (Optical Preview) exposure metering starts and the exposure can be checked" Pg 339
I am assuming that means no more hitting the green button to get a meter reading. Instead I have to toggle the DOF preview lever under the shutter. Certainly not as convienent. And of course the green button is now in the middle of the back and is non programmable. ...DRAT!
Can any of the lucky SOB's...er...early adopters confirm this?

NaCl(I lurves my green button I does I does)H2O

10-26-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The same text appears in the K-7 manual. I wouldn't worry about it. The important part is that page 112 still mentions the usage of the green button in M mode.
10-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Just checked. Green button metering still works properly.
10-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys

I was worried I'd have to train myself to a new shooting sequence with my beautiful old manual lenses. Good to know that I don't have to.

NaCl(and no, I won't relinquish my K 300 f/4.0, K 135 f/2.5 or my slightly newer zenitar FE)H2O

10-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #5

So you're telling me I can take a reading with the green button with old lenes on my K20??? I just tried that and it's not working. How do I do it?
10-26-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If it is an old M Lens that you are using, make sure you turn the focus switch to manual on the camera body and then it should work when you push the green button.
10-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
If it is an old M Lens that you are using, make sure you turn the focus switch to manual on the camera body and then it should work when you push the green button.

That shouldn't matter for getting the exposure. And you can even shoot in the AF. S mode...it's called "Catch in focus" so the shutter will only fire if the camera determines the shot is in focus. The manual focus position will allow the shutter to fire whether the shot's in focus or not. What you need to do with the K20 to allow manual exposure lenses to work is this:

Go to the Menu Screen

Tab over (right side of 4-way switch) to the right to "Custom Settings"

Hit the "Up" side of the 4-way and you should see Option #36 "Using Aperture Ring"

Select that line by pressing the 4 -way to highlight it, and then on the right to select it. It will give 2 options. Select Number 2 "Permitted"

You may also want to go to Menu Item #26 Which deals with what happens when you press the green button. For manual lenses, the shutter speed will always change when pressing the green button, regardless of what's selected here. But, with an "A" lens or a more modern lens that doesn't even have an aperture ring you can program the green button to change the aperture or go to your "P" mode settings. I have mine set to option #2 so that I'll always get a shutter speed change based on the set aperture. That way if I'm using an "A" lens and hit the button by accident, at least I know it's the shutter that changed, not the aperture setting.
10-26-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'd like to ask.... Is the functionality of the Live View still the same when using manual lenses? I'd love to see a fast zoom-in when I hit the shutter button for critical focusing. Just like the AF in Live View (as seen on the Live View AF speed video on Youtube).

10-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CaymanImaging Quote
So you're telling me I can take a reading with the green button with old lenes on my K20??? I just tried that and it's not working. How do I do it?
1) make sure the mode dial is in "M"
2) Camera has to be in Manual focus
3) When you hit the green button you will hear the mirror flip up, the camera will take a reading and you will see the "correct" shutter speed for what ever aperture you've set on the lens. Note that depending on the lens you will probably have to still take a shot and check. With both the K20D and the K10D the metering can be a bit spotty, especially with "M" lenses, I've found my "K" lenses to be a bit more accurate, but there can still be problems.

NaCl(still better than guessing)H2O
10-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Let's not give wrong info here.

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
1) make sure the mode dial is in "M"
Not really. You can be in Av mode, but you'll always be shooting wide open. If you want control over the aperture, you need to be in "M" and select use of aperture ring in the menus (see below).

2) Camera has to be in Manual focus
The camera DOES NOT HAVE TO BE IN MANUAL FOCUS! You have to select "Use Aperture Ring" in the custom menus (#36 for the K20D) in order for the camera to meter. Try it for yourself.

3) When you hit the green button you will hear the mirror flip up, the camera will take a reading and you will see the "correct" shutter speed for what ever aperture you've set on the lens.
The mirror doesn't flip up, the aperture stops down to whatever you have dialed on the ring. The meter takes the light reading and then adjusts the shutter speed as stated. This is also based on the metering mode selected: Multiple Point, Center-weighted, or Spot (selected with the 3-position switch under the Mode Dial on the top-left side of the camera). If you want confirmation that the mirror doesn't flip up, just look through the viewfinder while pressing the green button...your view doesn't change. When the mirror is flipped up, you don't see anything through the view finder, but instead look at the image directly off the sensor as projected onto the LCD screen on the back.

Note that depending on the lens you will probably have to still take a shot and check. With both the K20D and the K10D the metering can be a bit spotty, especially with "M" lenses, I've found my "K" lenses to be a bit more accurate, but there can still be problems.
NaCl(still better than guessing)H2O
Quite true about metering issues with different lenses and taking a "practice" shot. Try to remember to NOT press the green button again if an adjustment needs to be made though. I've found it better to adjust either the shutter speed faster or slower than what the meter chose, or adjust the aperture accordingly, since if you hit the green button again after making the change, it might still pick the wrong setting. Better, IMO, to just adjust shutter, aperture, or ISO and shoot again.

One way to get "real time" metering (if you don't want to be taking "meter check" shots) is to select #2 "Optical Preview" under Custom Menu #30 (Preview Method). This allows the aperture to close down to whatever is selected with the manual lens when switching and holding the on/off/aperture switch to the aperture symbol. While you're holding it there, the meter is active and you'll see the following in the viewfinder info area:

- . . | . . +

That's your meter reading. You'll have a series of vertical bars either to the left or right of the center bar (center being correct exposure), so it indicates either an under or over exposure and to what degree either side of the center bar. Depending on your level of dexterity, you can hold the aperture stopped down and simultaneously adjust your shutter speed with whichever e-dial you have mapped it to and/or adjust your aperture with the ring on the lens to center the bars for the correct exposure.

I prefer to have my preview switch set at Live view, so I can fine-tune the focus for macros and such when the camera's mounted on a tripod, so my Manual Lens steps are

1. Set the Aperture I want on the lens ring.
2. Press the Green button
3. Press the Shutter button and evaluate the shot
4. If a bad exposure or good exposure but blurry I:
a. Check what shutter speed was selected by the green button press
b. Check what ISO I had selected
5. Adjust whichever makes the most sense for what I'm trying to accomplish

Last edited by jheu02; 10-26-2010 at 01:31 PM.
10-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #11

Thanks all!! It works now. I never know that it could do that. When I first bought the K20 I was invested in the latest glass. About a year ago I got into the vintage lens and never reread the instructions. Once again, PF rocks!!