Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2010, 01:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Not yet. But the danger exists that eventually, the Pentax system arrives at the same sad point. A point where a sensor can be too small to keep up SLR sales and the vendor leaves the SLR camp.
No. This isn't the threat for Pentax. If that point is reached, it's not going to be because people will want FF DSLRs, but because they want smaller pocketable MILCs. That is why Olympus is moving out of DSLRs. That is why Sony is dropping FF and moving to MILCs as well. The market for smaller cameras with advanced features and "larger" APS or smaller (!) sensors is going to be bigger than the market for FF, if it's not already.

10-27-2010, 02:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
No. This isn't the threat for Pentax. If that point is reached, it's not going to be because people will want FF DSLRs, but because they want smaller pocketable MILCs. That is why Olympus is moving out of DSLRs. That is why Sony is dropping FF and moving to MILCs as well. The market for smaller cameras with advanced features and "larger" APS or smaller (!) sensors is going to be bigger than the market for FF, if it's not already.
You are right but putting it this way is an oversimplification.

The SLR market will split into MILC at the low end and very capable SLRs at the higher end. With the MILC end being larger (no, it is still small ATM). But doesn't matter. P&S is larger too. What does matter though is what will happen with the K mount. And I've yet to see somebody with a MILC who doesn't have an SLR too...

The only thing I wanted to say is that I would be sorry to see the K mount die the way the FT mount died. Because it is not inevitable (for FT, it was because the mount left no other option). Also, I have problems to see how Pentax would be big enough to introduce yet another mount.

Last edited by falconeye; 10-27-2010 at 02:56 AM.
10-27-2010, 03:39 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Also, I have problems to see how Pentax would be big enough to introduce yet another mount.
I'd like to see Pentax hop into bed with Sony for the MILC market, i.e. for the NEX system. Sure, Pentax has more to gain from this than Sony, but the NEX system would be the real winner.
10-28-2010, 12:05 AM   #19
Veteran Member

It's going to be interesting to see how things play out. But I have a hard time seeing FF as guaranteeing the survival of the K-mount or of anything else. Because to do that, it would mean that APS has to die out - and there is no sign of that happening. On the contrary, I see both Nikon and Canon as stepping up and producing more competitive APS cameras than before. They have enough market share already to afford to produce FF cameras, but everyone else needs to gain share before they can venture into offering FF. Otherwise they just waste their budget.

Also, I don't care that much about the K-mount as long as there are mounts on which K-mount lenses can be adapted. Pentax could just move to a new mount and provide adapters for their K-mount lenses.

MILCs are still in their infancy at this point. Someone has to get their act together and come up with a really good camera system in this category. If Fuji would have come up with an X100 with interchangeable lenses, I think they could have blown out all micro 4/3s competition with that offering.

NEX would be an interesting system for me if they had image stabilization in the body. But its lack makes me prefer the Olympus offerings. And Olympus seems to be exiting the SLR arena for good. I don't expect them to come back. E-5 may be their last release, so it doesn't really matter even if it were amazing. I'm still waiting for them to release an E-P* camera at an affordable price - I think their current prices are ridiculous.

10-28-2010, 05:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I don't understand the logic of people who think that Pentax are losing a large share of the market / current or future / by not having a FF in the armoury.

The vast majority of DSLR owners don't WANT a FF camera. They want what Pentax are now delivering and what is making the Kx / Kr and K5 winners : smaller / tougher (well in the case of the K5 & K7 at least) / High ISO capability / and a faster AF system / as well as high quality affordable glass (legacy or otherwise).

They also want reach without the expense, and the APS-C sensor is a Godsend in that regard.

Pentax should continue to do what they are doing because Pros / serious Amateurs are not going to suddenly flock to Pentax if they introduce a FF. However the financial burden of developing it could have wide-reaching consequences for the company if it fails.
10-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #21
REM
Forum Member

Agreed. Pentax probably has figured the DSLR market segments are:

(extreme) novice - folks getting their first dslr. The guys only use kit lens or maybe the kit and one or two other consumer lens (low tier; most likely zoom). Largest percentage of the dslr market.
enthusiast (prosumer) - folks with more cash for a better camera. May or may not have had DSLR before. These folks use a more varied lens selection with varying price points (consumer lenses to top tier glass; zooms and primes) .

professional/extreme enthusiast - folks with a lot of money for a camera (since work might pay for it if you're a pro photographer). Needs full frame camera and top tier glass. Smallest segment of dslr market.

Pentax probably thinks a ff camera is an extreme business risk for such a small segment. They rather focus on the other two segments which is the largest part of the market.
10-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I don't understand the logic of people who think that Pentax are losing a large share of the market / current or future / by not having a FF in the armoury.

The vast majority of DSLR owners don't WANT a FF camera. They want what Pentax are now delivering and what is making the Kx / Kr and K5 winners : smaller / tougher (well in the case of the K5 & K7 at least) / High ISO capability / and a faster AF system / as well as high quality affordable glass (legacy or otherwise).

They also want reach without the expense, and the APS-C sensor is a Godsend in that regard.

Pentax should continue to do what they are doing because Pros / serious Amateurs are not going to suddenly flock to Pentax if they introduce a FF. However the financial burden of developing it could have wide-reaching consequences for the company if it fails.
Agreed. With the IQ from APS-C making such dramatic leaps (especially when combined with the latest NR software), the rationale for FF gets weaker, not stronger, even as FF IQ improves. Pentax is on the right track with compact, light, well-built DSLRs that can deliver IQ that is more than adequate for the vast majority of shooters. This is not to say that FF will not continue to have some advantages, but the attendant size/weight/expense trade-offs are becoming less appealing.

Rob
10-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not yet. But the danger exists that eventually, the Pentax system arrives at the same sad point. A point where a sensor can be too small to keep up SLR sales and the vendor leaves the SLR camp.
Unfortunately, that's a plausible scenario. But it's hardly inevitable. The APS-C sensor is already pretty well entrenched and it may stay that way for many years to come. Consumers may continue to regard FF as an expensive luxury (because of the price of FF glass) they can do without. Under that scenario, Pentax will have guessed right in not pursuing FF.

In any case, it's got to be a tough decision for a small company like Pentax with limited resources and a tiny market share, not knowing which way the FF winds are going to turn. If Pentax had a larger market share, FF would be no brainer. As it is, there are risks no matter what course Pentax decides to take.

10-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe that's why Pentax moved to MF for the Higher End Pro and APS-C for the Mid and Lower segment. Pentax is in its crossroad but staying there for awhile and see what happens later (After effect of K-r & K-5).

Last edited by Kenn100D; 10-28-2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: missed " in " in the sentence
10-28-2010, 03:41 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Unfortunately, that's a plausible scenario. But it's hardly inevitable. The APS-C sensor is already pretty well entrenched and it may stay that way for many years to come. Consumers may continue to regard FF as an expensive luxury (because of the price of FF glass) they can do without. Under that scenario, Pentax will have guessed right in not pursuing FF.
I have different thoughts on this one... it's true that APS-C camera has reached the level where the "current" version of FF cameras are not "much" better. But that is likely not the case for long as the big twos will start squeezing out more from the FF sensor while lowering the FF camera price points to similar spots currently occupied by D300s and 7D to entice customers. That will force Pentax to take a serious look at offering FF (not without help from SONY though as they don't make sensors). The majority of the beginners are clueless any way.
10-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #26
Veteran Member

The K-7 was seen as the E3 that should have been.

Now the E5 sits between the K-7 and K-5 IMO.
As well built as the K-5 (probably better actually)
With less performance.
The Oly massive glass is something to consider. If you already have a fast Oly glass investment then its a no brainer. But for a new system, I think the D7000 and K-5 will get the lions share.