Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Brecklundin that's a really good point about the warrantee!
CANIKON USERS UNITE! PROVE TO THE PENTAXIANS THAT YOUR CAMERAS CAN DO THIS ALSO! OK...1....2...3 POUR!

that is all. thank you for your time

10-28-2010, 02:54 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
What I want to know is how a variable-length lens can be water resistant. When the lens goes from short to long (actual length, not necessarily focal length), where does the air come from to fill the extra volume inside the lens?

Where exactly does this air get in from? Could you not actually suck water into the lens if you have a droplet on just the wrong place?
10-28-2010, 03:16 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
What I want to know is how a variable-length lens can be water resistant. When the lens goes from short to long (actual length, not necessarily focal length), where does the air come from to fill the extra volume inside the lens?

Where exactly does this air get in from? Could you not actually suck water into the lens if you have a droplet on just the wrong place?
K20D and K10D sucks air around OK button. So you better keep your wet thumb off that button when zooming in the rain. As I've been told other brands have air vents under the eyepiece.

Can anybody tell where K-7 and K-5 have air vent?
10-28-2010, 04:08 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The problem for Pentax when it comes to warranty issues is that they can't tell which lens was in place when the damage occurred. If it is a weather sealed lens, then by all rights they should be responsible for it. At the same time, I have been in the middle of very heavy rain with both my 16-50 and 50-135 (K20) and had no issues, except that I got very wet. Fortunately, I believe that I am relatively weather sealed as well...

10-28-2010, 04:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote

At room temperature, water has a viscosity (i.e. resistance to flow) about 50 times that of air, and density about 780 times that of air.
With a bit of clever design, it is very much doable to have O-rings and other kinds of seals which prevent the flow of water, while some air can still go through. The weather seals on a typical motor-car are also a good example. It will keep dry even under the heaviest thunderstorms, but a fair amount of fresh air can still circulate through the car.

That's just simple flowing water, not under any pressure. Underwater pressure sealing, like what the Optio has, is a lot harder to achieve.
10-28-2010, 04:41 AM   #21

I don't think that video will in any way make it more difficult for Pentax to deny the warranty for water damage. Do you watch TV? Every single car manufacturer has commercials in which their vehicles are being driven like stunt cars, yet they have no issues denying warranties for those cars which have been driven too aggressively. The only thing that matters, legally, is the writing on the warranty. That being said, you would think that if they started denying a bunch of claims due to water damage, their marketing campaign built around the ruggedness of the camera would start to lack credibility...
10-28-2010, 04:45 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
someone use it as a fishing lure. i dare you :P
There's a local ocean research facility at Woods Hole MA.
I met someone who worked on their dinner bell project (train fish to come back to feed using a sound) and they used an Olympus 770SW to film video in 50-80' of water. Project lasted 6 months I think and it worked fine.

That actually is a waterproof camera though and is sold as one. The K5 is weathersealed which means it can be used in heavy rain or other typical DSLR conditions...not underwater...
10-28-2010, 04:58 AM   #23
bfo

This is a piece of the Norwegian newspaper VG's test of the K-7:

(Used google translate, sorry for the poor english...)

"...The compact and robust housing of magnesium and steel, Pentax has crammed in so many features that few will ever have used all. Among other video at 720p HD resolution. The camera that is smaller than the Olympus E-30, Canon EOS 50D or Nikon D90, is sealed at the front and edges and can withstand rain, snow and temperatures down to -10 degrees. Something we obviously tested. The camera was mounted on the Pentax DA 18-55mm zoom WR with a rubber gasket that seals the bayonet mount. Then the camera turned on and left out in the downpour for half an hour. Then it was placed in a -18 degree freezer for 48 hours.

It drenched camera froze to ice, of course, and nothing seemed when it was pulled out of the freezer 48 hours later. But after five minutes' thawing lit LCD screen and the camera focused on when the release was affected. Shutter and mirror needed for a few minutes before the camera worked flawlessly. Since it was taken several hundred pictures with Pentax-one without a single small problem....."

The temperatures refer to Celsisus.

10-31-2010, 11:23 AM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiet70 Quote
CANIKON USERS UNITE! PROVE TO THE PENTAXIANS THAT YOUR CAMERAS CAN DO THIS ALSO! OK...1....2...3 POUR!

that is all. thank you for your time
I'm new to the forum and Pentax (just ordered a K-5 and a couple of lenses)... no way I would attempt that with my current camera!!! Impressive, to say the least.
10-31-2010, 09:16 PM   #25
k54
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow that was great!!! Any Canon or Nikon who will challenge Pentax?