Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-5, ISO200 vs ISO3200, Sampled from RAW PP/NR: OFF

I was processing some K-5 RAW images(by: dgaies) and decided to give RPP a try.

And I thought the ISO3200 from RAW looked rather good against a nominal equivalent without any NR or PP.
Though a touch of NR could most likely make them quite difficult to distinguish

K-5, ISO200, 13/10s, f6.3, RPP RAW, NR OFF

Full size image here...

K-5, ISO3200, 1/13s, f6.3, RPP RAW, NR OFF

Full size image here...

...the end

Last edited by JohnBee; 05-01-2011 at 10:53 AM.
10-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My first thought when I just viewed them was "John usually does a better job with the NR".

Then I noticed these were with NR turned off.. not to shabby for 3200 without any NR
10-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I was processing some K-5 RAW images(by: dgaies) and decided to give RPP a try.

And I though the ISO3200 from RAW looked rather good against a nominal equivalent without any NR or PP. Though a touch of NR could most likely make them quite difficult to distinguish

K-5, ISO200, 1/1.3s, f6.3, RPP RAW, NR OFF

Full size image here...

K-5, ISO3200, 1/13s, f6.3, RPP RAW, NR OFF

Full size image here...

...the end
Enough to convince me to keep saving for the K5!

Just can't wait to get this "thing" out there for BIF and other wildlife.

JP
10-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anyone tried the K5 high ISO under difficult lighting conditions, outside, and with moving subjects?
Tough call ... maybe too tough?

Dare! Dare!

JP

10-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Has anyone tried the K5 high ISO under difficult lighting conditions, outside, and with moving subjects?
Tough call ... maybe too tough?

Dare! Dare!

JP
You mean, like... when a bird is in the underbrush in low light and you have to really push the system just to identify it, let alone crop to 100% in the process?

Yea... I'd like to see that too!

I can't count the no. of times I ran into this with some amazing smaller birds this summer. The seem to love the early morning and dusk for socializing. Not the friendliest of camera conditions tbh.

I can't wait to test a K-5 in such conditions in spring.
However, I just ordered an adaptall 2 adapter for my 60-300 lens so I can test it against the K-5 without breaking the bank. No clue how it will perform, but I can't wait to see how it works on a D700
10-27-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You mean, like... when a bird is in the underbrush in low light and you have to really push the system just to identify it, let alone crop to 100% in the process?

Yea... I'd like to see that too!

I can't count the no. of times I ran into this with some amazing smaller birds this summer. The seem to love the early morning and dusk for socializing. Not the friendliest of camera conditions tbh.

I can't wait to test a K-5 in such conditions in spring.
However, I just ordered an adaptall 2 adapter for my 60-300 lens so I can test it against the K-5 without breaking the bank. No clue how it will perform, but I can't wait to see how it works on a D700
Exactly!

Like last summer trying to get sone pics of very small Kinglets which necessarily inhabits deep coniferous forests, usually right in the darkest part of a tree.
I tried pushing it with the K20D, up to ISO 1600-2000, and let me tell you that it wasn't that great as far as results are concerned.
I did try with the K7 ... no further comment.

What will be the real test is when I get the K5 and go "hunt" for early morning/late afternoon small forest dwelling birds. The combo is likely to be the DA*300/4 with and without the Pentax AF A 1.7X adapter.
At those times, especially during early Spring and late Fall, the light is rather dimmed in the forest to say the least.
If the K5 can handle that, it'll be be a revelation!

Cheers! .... going to bed now here ... early bird gets the worm!

JP
10-28-2010, 03:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think the 3200 w/o NR looks terrific.

How did this compare with the 6400 shot w/o NR?

I forgot there was no 6400 shot

You would think since I took the damn shots I would have remembered that I only took shots every two stops (though in hindsight I wish I had take them at every stop).

Last edited by dgaies; 10-28-2010 at 06:18 AM.
10-28-2010, 05:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Noise reduction definitely is ON in ISO3200 sample

And I am not joking.

There's no colour noise in ISO3200 sample. Only luminance noise. This means, that either camera applied RAW noise reduction or by RAW converter did that— ACR with default settings does some noise colour removal.
10-28-2010, 05:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
And I am not joking.

There's no colour noise in ISO3200 sample. Only luminance noise. This means, that either camera applied RAW noise reduction or by RAW converter did that— ACR with default settings does some noise colour removal.
There may be some NR done on the RAW file before it gets written to the memory card, but according the OP there was no NR done during the RAW conversion.

For what it's worth, he didn't use ACR for this shot, but rather a raw converter called RPP.
10-28-2010, 06:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Also, I don't know if anyone noticed, but I wouldn't read too much into the slightly different blue "blob" just above the beer bottle label. I believe that's just light reflected off the projector screen as it was on during the shots. Had I thought about it, I would have turned it off as the color and amount of light coming off the screen did change depending on what was on TV at that point in time.
10-28-2010, 07:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote

You would think since I took the damn shots I would have remembered that I only took shots every two stops (though in hindsight I wish I had take them at every stop).
Wow I never even noticed!
I was going to process the ISO6400 version today
10-28-2010, 07:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Also, I don't know if anyone noticed, but I wouldn't read too much into the slightly different blue "blob" just above the beer bottle label. I believe that's just light reflected off the projector screen as it was on during the shots. Had I thought about it, I would have turned it off as the color and amount of light coming off the screen did change depending on what was on TV at that point in time.

Wow I never even noticed!
I was going to process the ISO6400 version today
Yeah, that's why when you asked for the 25600 shot I had to go back downstairs and take it... which is why the framing isn't exactly the same in the 25600 shot.

Again, in hindsight I should have just taken one at every stop.

It might still be interesting to look at the 12800 shot w/o NR, just for kicks.
10-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Looks very good, except the strange blue artifacts in the highlights. What is that? Look at the highlights in the bars holding the chips. The blown areas are blue.
10-28-2010, 08:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Looks very good, except the strange blue artifacts in the highlights. What is that? Look at the highlights in the bars holding the chips. The blown areas are blue.
See post #10.

I think they are reflections from the TV/projection screen I have in my basement. I was watching football when I took the shots, and I have a feeling that is what you are seeing. Had I thought about it, I would have turned the TV off for the shots, but I was just fooling around with a new lens and taking some test shots in low light and didn't think about it at the time.
10-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #15
Pentaxian

See post #10.

I think they are reflections from the TV/projection screen I have in my basement. I was watching football when I took the shots, and I have a feeling that is what you are seeing. Had I thought about it, I would have turned the TV off for the shots, but I was just fooling around with a new lens and taking some test shots in low light and didn't think about it at the time.
Ops, missed that post.

But I don't think it is a reflection. It's much too sharp. It might be a bug in the rawconverter though.