Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2010, 12:03 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I want tethering on the K-7.

I have a K10D as well and have been playing around with the tethering on there.

What I feel is missing is the ability to change the focus from the computer (eg. say a scroll wheel in the program interface to directly move the focus ring), not just run the auto-focus. This would be a great feature to produce focus-bracketed macro images!

Unless I missed something in the existing program...

10-30-2010, 02:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
This is starting to be like the full frame thread...

There are hundreds of threads already that "record the prospective demand."

If Pentax wants to do it, they'll do it. If not, they won't.

Simple as that. There are other things that are more worthy of your time to fight for.
I never said tethering is a worthless or unuseful feature. Don't put words in my mouth. My needs are perfectly suited by the Pentax system. If yours aren't, stop complaining about it and switch to a system that does. Life is too short to do otherwise.
First off yes you did blow off the significance of tethering...or did you not write the above comment? Maybe it was your cat?

QuoteQuote:
I am simply stating that threads on this forum are highly unlikely to make Hoya change their mind about ANYTHING. If they don't think it's worthwhile to spend the R&D and engineering to implement Tethering (or full frame or faster AF or EVILs or anything) they won't do it. Plain and simple.

So stop complaining about things you don't like about Pentax. They've done plenty I don't like (price of 35 2.4 off the top of my head), but there's not much I can do that will change their mind.
Second...what business is it of yours what others want to discuss? Don't like it, don't post. Or is your name Torquemada? We were having a fine discussion about our needs and you blow in basically telling everyone here we are full of crap and to sod-off. Nobody was ranting or stomping up and down...sure we are discussing something we don't like about the new HoyaTax...what of it? Had there been more frank and honest discussions perhaps many would not have either switched to Pentax or come back to our photography roots...from a system which worked perfectly fine. You want to be bitchy complain to HoyaTax for not indicating the omission of tethering in the K-7 specs or the review sites for not mentioning it either.

Also, everyone knows commenting here is not going to result in a change. Not need to be so obvious and redundant. However by discussing it with others who have the same or similar needs we can either find a way to make it work or to email someone at HoyaTax, then again not that anyone ever received results via that route either.

And yes, most of use feel betrayed and being pushed out of the brand thanks to the unannounced removal of a very important feature their supposed best body, the K-7. But we waited as there were hints from Pentax that the 645D and the K-5 share a lot of the same subsystems. And with the indication of tethering being planed for the 645D there is every reason to remain hopeful. But in the mean time we were discussing the matter together until your post basically telling us to STFU. You were rude, that simple. I commented rather politely and did not change your words I merely distilled them down to the essence of what you wrote.

BTW, not a thing wrong with the price of the new 35/2.4, it looks like a superb lense and worth the price, though I would consider the DA40ltd from B&H over it right not as when I looked the other day it was only $339 but that probably won't last long. OTOH, from the sample shots I have seen the new 35/2.4 renders extremely well with nice bokeh...
10-30-2010, 02:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
I want tethering on the K-7.

I have a K10D as well and have been playing around with the tethering on there.

What I feel is missing is the ability to change the focus from the computer (eg. say a scroll wheel in the program interface to directly move the focus ring), not just run the auto-focus. This would be a great feature to produce focus-bracketed macro images!

Unless I missed something in the existing program...
Cool, ya are learning how useful tethering can be. Just think of it with real time live view. I do know a few folks here use an external monitor connected via HDMI on their K-7 to get better focus results or to ensure the shot is in focus. But on your K10D and my K20D let's face it, Live View was a "me too" thing from Pentax. Even the reviews I read about the K20D made the same observation. Still I knew it going in and found it only logical to assume refinements in not only Live View as well as tethering...as in opening it for 3rd party tethering apps which offer even more control than Pentax Remote Assistant.

I don't remember the exact situation for the K-7, but it seems there was something about the USB subsystem preventing tethering even via a firmware update. The info is in one of the threads about tethering and a couple about the K-7 in general, all I remember was they removed it from the product line.

As for the sort of focus nudging sort of thing via tethering, that would be a neat trick. I would guess there could be some sort of micro-nudge to do as you say, "focus bracket". It's a really interesting idea for sure, but I am not aware of any DSLR which provides that level of control. It sure would be a useful feature for those who are doing focus stacking where you are getting different parts of a subject in focus then stacking them to get a super sharp shot. There is some really great shareware out there for this sort of PP. I seem to recall the name of the software is CombineZ.

I don't know how possible it would be, but definitely something some folks might find useful. Neat idea...but let's get tracking with live view first and see if we can get refinements from there...hehehehe....
10-30-2010, 03:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I could make use of it.

10-30-2010, 05:01 AM   #20
pdo

I'm a studio shooter and had to do a calendar shoot for a local business. Lighting had to be spot on. I was force to use my buddy Nikon D300 tether with Lightroom because K7 does not support tethering and yes I'm already thinking of switching system because of this... Here's an image from the shoot..

10-30-2010, 05:59 AM   #21
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

There should be a rule that says not to start a new thread if we already have one that discusses the same topic. That would save me a ton of heartache.
You know, I was thinking a similar thing just the other day. I was in the library and passed by a section that had several books on quilting. I thought, geez, what are they doing taking up all that shelf space with quilting books! I don't have an interest in quilting. Damn! The thing that really ticked me of was that there were other things I wanted to read. I just hate that rule that says I have to read every book in the place whether I like them or not. I got to the counter with an armload of those damned quilting books and thought NO! I'm going to do something really radical. I'm going to pass over these books and read something else! Damned library. It sure would save me a ton of heartache if they wouldn't allow multiple books on the same subject; especially books I'm not interested in.

EDIT: I'll save the rant about people writing books on subjects that have already been written about for another thread.

Last edited by Parallax; 10-30-2010 at 06:07 AM.
10-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You know, I was thinking a similar thing just the other day. I was in the library and passed by a section that had several books on quilting. I thought, geez, what are they doing taking up all that shelf space with quilting books! I don't have an interest in quilting. Damn! The thing that really ticked me of was that there were other things I wanted to read. I just hate that rule that says I have to read every book in the place whether I like them or not. I got to the counter with an armload of those damned quilting books and thought NO! I'm going to do something really radical. I'm going to pass over these books and read something else! Damned library. It sure would save me a ton of heartache if they wouldn't allow multiple books on the same subject; especially books I'm not interested in.

EDIT: I'll save the rant about people writing books on subjects that have already been written about for another thread.
I'm glad I read all of those quilting books. Each one had a different bit of insight or information that the previous one didn't offer. In one book, I learned how to tether the string to get stronger stitches, where-as the other was more focused on tethering the needles. Who would have known? Ah well, you're going to be cold when Winter comes around. Sucks to be you.

(3 of the other books were just complaints of people threatening to switch over to Crochet.)

10-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Cool, ya are learning how useful tethering can be. Just think of it with real time live view. I do know a few folks here use an external monitor connected via HDMI on their K-7 to get better focus results or to ensure the shot is in focus. But on your K10D and my K20D let's face it, Live View was a "me too" thing from Pentax. Even the reviews I read about the K20D made the same observation. Still I knew it going in and found it only logical to assume refinements in not only Live View as well as tethering...as in opening it for 3rd party tethering apps which offer even more control than Pentax Remote Assistant.

I don't remember the exact situation for the K-7, but it seems there was something about the USB subsystem preventing tethering even via a firmware update. The info is in one of the threads about tethering and a couple about the K-7 in general, all I remember was they removed it from the product line.

As for the sort of focus nudging sort of thing via tethering, that would be a neat trick. I would guess there could be some sort of micro-nudge to do as you say, "focus bracket". It's a really interesting idea for sure, but I am not aware of any DSLR which provides that level of control. It sure would be a useful feature for those who are doing focus stacking where you are getting different parts of a subject in focus then stacking them to get a super sharp shot. There is some really great shareware out there for this sort of PP. I seem to recall the name of the software is CombineZ.

I don't know how possible it would be, but definitely something some folks might find useful. Neat idea...but let's get tracking with live view first and see if we can get refinements from there...hehehehe....
I didn't make the term up.
Focus Bracketing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know of two programs that are said to automate the process by controlling the camera:

- DSLR Remote Pro
- Helicon Remote

It would be nice if Pentax were to give us a definite answer if it is a hardware issue (IMO that sounds fishy, since when does a USB component only work one way...). My guess is that they need the proper firmware additions to support the feature. With that they should open the specification so 3rd parties (particularly the open source movement) can have access.
10-31-2010, 08:59 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Point well taken by all.

I was hoping I was participating in a forum where people actually cared about the art of photography. The people here were invaluable in the help I received when I first switched to Pentax, and for that I stuck around. But more and more all I see are posts talking about tethering, full frame, and other shortcomings of K-mount cameras.

Everyone has a group masturbatory session when someone gets a new lens or a new body, and spend all their time talking about how lens X backfocuses 0.25mm on their K-7 based on a chart they printed off the internet and posted images of, rather than what these lenses and cameras are actually good for: telling a story through photograph.

I suppose I should join a forum where people appreciate the art of photography rather than making excuses about how the gear they currently own isn't good enough, so they stay inside.

I'll take my leave now since 50% of the posts here are complaints/apologies about Pentax (an exaggeration, but that's what it seems like).
10-31-2010, 12:15 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
what these lenses and cameras are actually good for: telling a story through photograph.
You still don't get it.
SOME of us need to use our cameras as a technical tool.
A photograph to us is not the end in itself but a step towards an end, one that differs from your narrow world view.

Some may need product shots to achieve sales. Some need images as part of a design process for an eventual art-work. Some need accurate recordings for cataloging and inventory etc etc etc.

Just because we don't use our cameras the way you do does not make our needs any less valid than yours and I for one am appreciative of the democratic and helpful assistance provide by the members of this forum.

QuoteQuote:
I'll take my leave now since 50% of the posts here are complaints/apologies about Pentax (an exaggeration, but that's what it seems like).
I am sorry for you that you find it hard to enjoy discussions and ideas outside your comfort zone and wish you well in finding a forum better suited to your desires.

Last edited by bobD; 10-31-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: typo
10-31-2010, 01:24 PM   #26
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

You should also take into account that this is a Pentax forum.A brand-specific forum.
There is no such thing as brand specific light, contrast, composition, etc. There is, however, brand specific equipment, so yes, people on the Pentax forum like to talk about Pentax equipment. Imagine that.
10-31-2010, 01:40 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Count me in. I haven't upgraded my K20D yet and probably won't until I can confirm that the K5 has tethering.

I put in a long description on how I thought tethering should work in the Pentax Wish List thread....I really wish Pentax read that thread :-P
10-31-2010, 01:52 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pdo Quote
I'm a studio shooter and had to do a calendar shoot for a local business. Lighting had to be spot on. I was force to use my buddy Nikon D300 tether with Lightroom because K7 does not support tethering and yes I'm already thinking of switching system because of this... Here's an image from the shoot..
I can see why you would want to have tethering to allow hand free operation!
10-31-2010, 01:56 PM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Count me in. I haven't upgraded my K20D yet and probably won't until I can confirm that the K5 has tethering.

I put in a long description on how I thought tethering should work in the Pentax Wish List thread....I really wish Pentax read that thread :-P
Can you give us the reply No.# please
10-31-2010, 07:20 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gostwick Quote
Can you give us the reply No.# please
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/15728-dear-pentax-17.html#post536641