Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2010, 08:39 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gostwick Quote
I can see why you would want to have tethering to allow hand free operation!
remind me never to buy a used body form pdo!! snickersnicker...

10-31-2010, 09:06 PM   #32
Veteran Member

THANKS Ken!! I responded with an addition to the list of tethered features I would love to have here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1246230-post679.html

I honestly would be happy if they were only able to bring back the tethering of the K20D but added LR and other software compatibility. I don't know if the lack of real time tethered Live View was a hardware limitation for the K20D but, for me, it would be what would complete that part of the equation for me making the K-5 pretty much the perfect camera from everything else I have seen to date.

And I also love the idea of the ability to "bracket focus" sjwaldron pointed out to me. Perfect for focus stacking and would also save time if a shot gets missed. Maybe people don't realize for certain types of items we might go through a dozen shots on a piece just to get 3-4 that deliver enough information to our customers. Each shot can take a change in the setup. Having to go back and restore a previous setup is not only frustrating but also it can be impossible if you don't remember every detail that came to mind in creating the setup and lighting for the shot(s). To get everything right but have the camera (or ME, hahaha) blow the focus can cost a good 30-mins of time or more if I really tore down the setup as I moved on to other items. And I try to use something other than plain white backgrounds in my shots. But I think that is more for me than for the product. We have to have some fun after all, right?

EDIT: I thought I would add something else which came to mind about the whole Live View via tethering is it helps those of us who need glasses see the focus thanks to zooming. It saves our eyes from a lot of squinting and those pesky finger prints on my eye glass lenses because I have to move them to use the viewfinder. The K20D, even with Live View is not really good for me for that because the Live View simply has too low a resolution, so much so I find a test shot more helpful though a lot slower when I have a box of pieces I need to shoot on a given day.

Last edited by brecklundin; 10-31-2010 at 09:11 PM.
11-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Good point about liveview over the link. That would be nice.
Being able to verify focus on a large screen is important. I've shot jewelry and food and it's a royal PITA to get what you want in focus (though part of this admittedly is the lack of a decent tilt/shift lens on Pentax)-:
Here's hoping next year's model w/ USB 3.0 support hopefully has enough bandwidth for liveview over that link..
11-17-2010, 01:28 AM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kryss Quote
I for one agree entirely.I used the forum initially to learn new things about photography but I am getting sick and tired of all the things you mention in your post and a few more,ie. people who try to blind you with so much technical knowledge they never have time to shoot anything,then the ones who post zillions of snapshots of crap(or the same nauseating traditional costume shots)
So the Forum was fine while you were learning but now you've gone past that you want the Forum to change to suit you and others can go hang ??

QuoteQuote:
I will be looking to other sites to spend time discussing photography.
All the best finding one that suits your needs.
Isn't democracy a wonderful thing.

11-17-2010, 03:16 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
What he said is we already have multiple thread talking about tethering , one started yesterday about same subject

But the good news is Pentax is adding tethering on the 645D in firmnware(official on Pentax japan website). See the other post from yesterday

See the news here
645D : Products : PENTAX
I taught that the D 645 was sharing the K7's software, so when tethering will be up for the D645 than the K7, and perhaps the K5, would benefit of this software upgrade too? Tell me if I am wrong...
11-17-2010, 05:29 AM   #36
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Count me in. I haven't upgraded my K20D yet and probably won't until I can confirm that the K5 has tethering.

I put in a long description on how I thought tethering should work in the Pentax Wish List thread....I really wish Pentax read that thread :-P
I have K20D's and will be getting K-5's ...... but ...... Tethering is a very, very important tool when doing studio stuff.

I'm ALWAYS checking focus and composition and doing it on a small 3" screen does not cut it.

You can't see the small imperfections or a non focused areas on the camera monitor, you NEED a bigger screen.

Come on Pentax Tethering is important for the next firmware upgrade !

wll
05-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #37

Photos: Gallery
Here is a working solution. It is freeware and it works. PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras
05-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
I'm ALWAYS checking focus and composition and doing it on a small 3" screen does not cut it.
You can't see the small imperfections or a non focused areas on the camera monitor, you NEED a bigger screen.
You seem to want to see a bigger live-view display, not tethering, by the sound of it. The HDMI output (on the K-7 and K-5) can be used to hookup an external AV monitor to do that. And on the K20D, K200D and K-x, you can do this:

Other than that, yes, pktether is a good solution. But it doesn't (yet, reliably) pump a full live-view display of what your camera is seeing into the PC, if that's what you want out of tethering. The way pktether works is: you take a picture, it shows up on your PC and gets autosaved, you can review the shot on your PC screen, then you can remotely take another shot, adjust shutter, aperture remotely etc.

EDIT: oops, I just realised how old this thread was. I shouldn't have bothered to post this.

05-10-2011, 06:14 AM   #39
Veteran Member

there is no excuse today not to have it, outdoor or not. just release the specs of the (already built in) firmware capabilities, and let opensource developers have a blast. don't waste time developing your own, that's pointless. just release the damn specs, it's not rocket science, nothing that special about them. if you want to be corporate and nifty, sponsor an open source project which aims at "multi-vendor tethering software" to actively support your products, too (and you'll also raise a fuss about it on this occasion )

ps: answers of the sort "if you need this, go buy another camera" are completely misguided btw. no, this is not like full frame. get a grasp of the concept of scale, please
05-10-2011, 07:20 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I agree that Pentax should provide tethering software, but maybe the best course of action is to support the open-source solution posted above. If people support the developer and it becomes the product everyone wants, then maybe Pentax just picks that up and makes it an official product.

BTW, I have no connection to the developer. In fact, I don't have a current need for tethering but I can see a need in my future, so I'm keeping an eye on it.
05-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #41

I got this reply from Pentax Europe when I asked them about tethered shooting at the K-5 in December last year:

"Dear Sir,
Thank you for your enquiry.

Tethered shooting will be available for the K5 next year.

First new software is developed that will work with the Safox IX+ AF-system.
This software is also applicable to the 645D, which has the same AF-system.

The plan is to release this software in January 2011.

I hope that your question has been answered to your satisfaction.
Should you have further questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

When replying, please make sure this email is included.

With kind regards,
Hans Libbers
Pentax Digital Camera Support Team"

So far, no more news about it. When I asked again some weeks ago, they told me to follow the news at pentax.jp.