Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-21-2010, 03:34 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Interestingly my 2GB Sandisk Extreme III card gets stuck (that is, the spring ejects the card, but after 5mm movement the card suddenly gets stuck and it's quite hard to remove it), on the other hand my 8GB Sandisk Ultra II card is very easy to remove. Must be some very tiny difference in the thickness of the cards.

11-25-2010, 07:16 PM   #47
Inactive Account

Repeatable removal of stuck SD card

Hello,

I have just received my new K-5, and all my SD cards, from Sandisk and Lexar get stuck about 1cm out. It moves freely in the slot up to that distance and insetrs into the SD slot smoothly, similar to the description in the first post by peerSr.

I have been able to remove the cards by pushing the card back in (e.g. by ~1mm) and pressing the card against the lower edge of the SD slot (without force) and extracting the card. This technique has worked consistently for me thus far.
02-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #48
Inactive Account

K-5 SD card removal problem

Just received my new K-5 (my K10D's shutter broke down last week).

I have the same problem, but for me there is only 1 method that works to remove the card and that is by completely pressing it down, and then letting my fingernail slip of the edge of the card such that it "jumps" out of the slot just to beyond the point where it normally gets stuck. After that, I can pull it out.

I cannot get it out by simply pulling and also not by pressing it to one side like someone describes.

I have tried now with 4 different models of SD cards.

When inserting the card, I can already hear/feal that there is something which is not 100% smooth.

I'll probably not send my camera back for this, and it'll probably get better after using it for a while (like others also describe here),
but it's a disappointment to get a camera out of the box like this.
I hope this will be the only disappointment...
02-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #49
Inactive Account

Kamera huoltoon ja kortti hyllyyn, niin ei ole vaikeuksia.

02-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peerSr Quote
hi all,

I am having problems removing SanDisk 8 GB SD card from my k-5. I found similar thread on dpreview with k-7. Seems like this was not solved.

The same with another 2GB Sandisk SD. It is annoying, my K20D has a very good card slot.

When pushing card in, there is no problem, it goes in smoothly. But when pulling the card out, I have to wiggle it a bit from side to side to get it out.

grrrrrrrr

Anybody experiencing similar difficulties? Is it broken or is it a special K-5 feature?

Yes I'm having the same experience. It's like something is catching somewhere. I was concerned at first, but now I'm not bothered as it's not hurt anything.

I would say bad design but not a deal breaker like the Low Light FF issue
02-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Somebody have tested different card and found out they were not of the same thickness and width. He sanded the side and he resolve the issue . I do not believe it's the camera. I have Transcend card and mine work perfectly
02-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Somebody have tested different card and found out they were not of the same thickness and width. He sanded the side and he resolve the issue . I do not believe it's the camera. I have Transcend card and mine work perfectly
Yup, I've now tried a different card and it doesn't catch like my other cards.

02-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #53

All of my Sandisk cards stick in K5, but kingston and PNY come right out...Not a big deal unless you need to be quick, like at a wedding shoot.
09-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #54

I just got my new K5 today and noticed that the card was extremely hard to remove. I have had a Kx and Kr and neither one has ever given me any problem like that. I have to admit, it has shaken my confidence a little. I may end up exchanging it if it does not get smoother/easier to remove over the next week or so of using it.
09-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #55
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rusty89 Quote
I just got my new K5 today and noticed that the card was extremely hard to remove. I have had a Kx and Kr and neither one has ever given me any problem like that. I have to admit, it has shaken my confidence a little. I may end up exchanging it if it does not get smoother/easier to remove over the next week or so of using it.
Use your fingernail...push in fully, quickly release your nail from the card...quickly! It will pop halfway out and then it is just very easy to remove...like the K20D at this point.....I had the same problem at first, and complained, but it is now just second nature to easily remove it.

Rusty...Rusty...Rusty! Imagine your dream girl...Miss America, Miss Universe, some Rock or Movie Star, the girl of your dreams.......they want to get all naked for you.....like the K5 wants to take gorgeous photos for you....but you send her back because her bra snap is a little too stiff to easily remove..........you think? I don't! Otis carries a can of WD40 for just such emergencies, but you don't need to, just try those directions!
Best Regards!
09-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rusty89 Quote
Exchanging it will not solve anything.
There are zillion posts about card removal problems, starting with K7. Some resorted to filing down plastic on the card, I let my fingernails grow an extra mm, problem solved.
09-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Tape !

Look, this is what I found a while ago on the net, I applied it to all my SD cards and it works as a gem!
No sanding, breaking fingernails or tweezers, just some double folded Scotch tape!:ugh:
Push then pull the tape end and the card follows...
Take care that the tape end is not to long so it would not come out of the card door when closed.

PS I shot these in a hurry just to let you see how it works...

Last edited by philippe; 12-15-2011 at 11:42 PM.
09-16-2011, 02:45 AM   #58

No problems at all with my Sandisk extreme pro 45Mb/sec.
09-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #59

Photos: Gallery
The card slot in my K-5 seemed too tight at first too, but has got much easier with use. However, it was causing damage to my Lexar Platinum II, to the point I had to Krazy Glue it back together. This week, the camera gave up reading the Lexar after another tiny piece broke off the corner. It still works in a card reader. I'm going to split open the housing of an old 512mb card, and transplant the Lexar memory into it. The Lexar housing just seemed flimsy to begin with.
09-17-2011, 01:39 AM   #60

The card slot has always been the worst thing about the K5 IMO. I liked the way you could close the cover on the K20D without 'Snapping' it shut.Just close it then turn the key. You cannot do this on the K5, it has to be snapped shut which will in time cause wear. The card slot on the K5 is also not designed for the average sized fingers.