Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
Forum Member

Problems removing SD card from my K-5 - probably solved??

hi all,

I am having problems removing SanDisk 8 GB SD card from my k-5. I found similar thread on dpreview with k-7. Seems like this was not solved.

The same with another 2GB Sandisk SD. It is annoying, my K20D has a very good card slot.

When pushing card in, there is no problem, it goes in smoothly. But when pulling the card out, I have to wiggle it a bit from side to side to get it out.

grrrrrrrr

Anybody experiencing similar difficulties? Is it broken or is it a special K-5 feature?

Last edited by peerSr; 10-29-2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: the problem is solved
10-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

From what I've read, it seems the card slot on the K7 and K5 are the same. I only had one particular card (and older 2GB one) that was difficult to remove on my K7. All the rest of my cards seem to go in and out just fine on both my K7 and K5. That said, you're right, the card door/slot on the K10D/K20D was better
10-29-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks - which brand was better for you?
10-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peerSr Quote
thanks - which brand was better for you?
The three SanDisk Extreme III cards I have (4, 8, and 16GB) all work pretty well (there is still a very slight bit of resistance pulling them out, but not much).

I also have an older 2GB PQI card that works ok, but is harder to remove. I end up using it anyway as I have the other three cards.

10-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Didn't you see the special vice-grip tool in the box? (joke only)

I don't have a K5 (yet), but it sounds like this is at the far edge of the manufacturing tolerances for the slot. If it doesn't get easier in a few days, i'd send it in for repairs or back for another.

Edit: Actually the guy's video below where he used a nail file to remove a slight edge on some oversize cards that have the fit problem - sounds very practical to me. probably should vacuum the exterior of the card after the file trick - to remove any dust before reinserting the card.

Last edited by philbaum; 10-29-2010 at 11:41 AM.
10-29-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
The three SanDisk Extreme III cards I have (4, 8, and 16GB) all work pretty well (there is still a very slight bit of resistance pulling them out, but not much).
Yes - my is also a SanDisk Extreme III 8GB
10-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Didn't you see the special vice-grip tool in the box?

I don't have a K5 (yet), but it sounds like this is at the far edge of the manufacturing tolerances for the slot. If it doesn't get easier in a few days, i'd send it in for repairs or back for another.
grip tool????

10-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
... at least, I am not alone. This is very comforting, thanks pentaxforum!
10-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by peerSr Quote
Anybody experiencing similar difficulties? Is it broken or is it a special K-5 feature?

Lets say that yesterday I was at the PDN Photoplus and evidently stopped at the Pentax stand.

I had my SD card and I asked permission to shoot the 645D, K-5 & K-r. More on that eventually when I have more time to write some feedback on everything I was able to try (including 60-250, 300 f/4, new DAL 35, new 18-135 and others).

Coming back to your question, when I tried the K5, I could not remove their memory card from the slot (so I could install mine) and asked the rep to do so. Not a big deal, as it was my first time playing with the camera.

BUT, when I needed my SD card back from thr camera -after taking some shtos, once again I was not able to remove it. I again asked the rep to do it (as it is their camera) and he simply chipped off the edge of my card!

He was surprised and try to imply my SD card was already damaged, which is absolutely non-sense.

I placed it back on my Kx and the card would not stay in place, BUT if I closed the slot door, the camera worked fine, so I didnt care too much (tough it was a 16GB SD card - no very cheap).

Funny thing is, when I tried to re-use the 645D after the card was broken, the card would not register, even with the door slot closed. The card does not stay in as it should, because the K5 chipped the corner of the card.

So coming back to your original, it seems to me the design does not work well with all memory cards.

Mine card used yesterday happens to be a Lexar 16GB.
10-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #10
Inactive Account

There is a special technique i use to remove form K7,will also apply to K5.While pressing down on the spring,allow the card to slip by your fingers,using the momentum from the spring to push the card further up the slot,easily removed by thumb and forefinger. I can now remove the card faster than my easy K20D.Just practice the method.With time the slot will wear a bit making things easier.
10-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frederick Quote
There is a special technique i use to remove form K7,will also apply to K5.While pressing down on the spring,allow the card to slip by your fingers,using the momentum from the spring to push the card further up the slot,easily removed by thumb and forefinger. I can now remove the card faster than my easy K20D.Just practice the method.With time the slot will wear a bit making things easier.
Good points. That's basically what I do to remove my card (in my K7 and now in my K5). And, yes, it gets easier as you use it more. I take my card in and out all the time (I use a card reader and don't hook the camera up directly) and eventually you won't even notice that it's a little more snug than maybe it ought to be.
10-29-2010, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Never had a card stick in my k7 or k5. There is a knack to ejecting these cards. You press down with your finger nail and then quickly remove your nail to allow the spring to eject the card. Some cards will come right out of the camera and most will just pop up enough to remove easily. If you just allow the card to eject against finger pressure then it will sit low in the slot and be difficult to remove due to the card door being a tight fit.
10-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote

BUT, when I needed my SD card back from thr camera -after taking some shtos, once again I was not able to remove it. I again asked the rep to do it (as it is their camera) and he simply chipped off the edge of my card!
Mine card used yesterday happens to be a Lexar 16GB.
Wow! Unbelievable! I would not probably stay calm.
10-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
Never had a card stick in my k7 or k5. There is a knack to ejecting these cards. You press down with your finger nail and then quickly remove your nail to allow the spring to eject the card. Some cards will come right out of the camera and most will just pop up enough to remove easily. If you just allow the card to eject against finger pressure then it will sit low in the slot and be difficult to remove due to the card door being a tight fit.
Thanks, but this does not work for me..
10-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frederick Quote
not working for me neither ..