Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2010, 04:58 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Are you using windows, mac or linux? Did the card came with the software?

Thanks.
Using a Mac (imac) and airport extreme as my router. There was software on the card but I have downloaded most current from site (and upgraded several times since then).

O.K.?

jrf

10-30-2010, 05:16 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
Using a Mac (imac) and airport extreme as my router. There was software on the card but I have downloaded most current from site (and upgraded several times since then).

O.K.?

jrf
Ok, Thanks, is there a hope (software) for windoze users? If yes I can order my Eye-Fi X2 rightaway for my K-7 then. I am tired of hooking USB on and off endlessly. My subjective opinion is opening and closing plastic data door lots of times, might harm water proofness of the camera. Just a thought.

Thats why Eye-Fi is so seductive for me, why can't they put 1/16 inch blutooth-like chip in cameras, thats strange..
10-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Thats why Eye-Fi is so seductive for me, why can't they put 1/16 inch blutooth-like chip in cameras, thats strange..
Bluetooth would be painfully slow. Even Bluetooth EDR is 2 Mbps only which is 0.2% of GBit Ethernet. Even at 2 Mbps, a single K-5 image (20MB) would take more than 1 minute to transfer. And most Bluetooth stacks miss the EDR option...

Sooner or later, cameras will feature an embedded server connecting via WLAN and DHCP and offering its services via HTTP/FTP. That would be the preferred solution for tethering to. Hell, my audio amplifier does it already now, I can change its volume over a web frontend
10-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Bluetooth would be painfully slow. Even Bluetooth EDR is 2 Mbps only which is 0.2% of GBit Ethernet. Even at 2 Mbps, a single K-5 image (20MB) would take more than 1 minute to transfer. And most Bluetooth stacks miss the EDR option...
I didn't know BT is that incredibly slow, well than, how big would be the WiFi chip inside the Eye-Fi cards? And how much would it cost? Pentax can include the downloading software with Pentax DCU, cheap router modems are like 50USD anyway.

Or How about the Pentax brand Eye,Fi card? Pentax would make money out of it either. Oh well, never mind me..

10-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well, the K-r already has irSimple wireless support built-in, which does up to 4Mbps:

"High-speed infrared data transmission system
The K-r is the first PENTAX digital SLR camera equipped with the IrSimple™ high-speed infrared data transmission system. Since this system allows the user to transfer image data to IrSimple-compatible digital devices with great ease, users can effortlessly post images taken with the K-r on their own blogs via a cellular phone. This system also makes the K-r a brand-new photo communication tool, as it also allows users to exchange their image data using a pair of K-r, and even let them engage in a simple match game using Exif data attached to the images such as aperture or shutter-speed values."

Perhaps that is one wireless evolution path for Pentax. Maybe the K-5 already has irSimple built-in, and just requires a firmware patch to enable it
10-30-2010, 11:45 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

Perhaps that is one wireless evolution path for Pentax. Maybe the K-5 already has irSimple built-in, and just requires a firmware patch to enable it
Regarding speed, we are going nowhere with old fashion IR critters, thats for sure.
10-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #22

Ok, Thanks, is there a hope (software) for windoze users? If yes I can order my Eye-Fi X2 rightaway for my K-7 then. I am tired of hooking USB on and off endlessly. My subjective opinion is opening and closing plastic data door lots of times, might harm water proofness of the camera. Just a thought.

Check out the speed. Its not as fast as you probably want. I use it selectively - when I want to upload a particular photo to view, I DON'T send all of my picts this way. A card reader is a LOT faster. The card can also generate heat and shut down if it gets too warm. Not a good thing. Good (IMHO) for selective shots or lower volume JPG. On a raw file, assuming good network (the network is often the slow down) it takes 15 seconds or so for a raw file to upload.
11-03-2010, 04:34 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Update

As it appears, it's not the K-5 but a recent EyFi update which created the problem. K-7 and 645D are reported to have problems too.

A hotfix (v4.2121) from EyFi is supposed to fix it.

There's a thread at DPR about this.

11-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Just got my K5 this afternoon.
The Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB works just fine without any changes since I used it last night in my K7.

Don't know how the working distance/speed ratio compares, but I am pleased to find that it does work. Of course, the K5 body seems almost identical to the K7, so I do not suspect much difference in comms strength.
11-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm waiting for a replacement Eye fi card. It may be that it was not faulty but just the firmware glitch in the previous card. Will update when I get the new one.
11-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
It works in 2 ways.

Your files are automatically uploaded to your home computer as they are taken or as soon as the card detects that you are in range of your home computer. You can also link to an Ipad so you can view your pictures a few seconds after taking them, useful when you wish to check focus or composition.

You can also set the card to upload the pictures to many popular hosting websites as well as your home PC.

You can also on the newer cards set up "endless memory" which after a certain capacity (set by you) the card will delete pictures as new ones are added, starting with the oldest.
Its really cool when it works smoothly.
I was at a public performance event last weekend, and I noticed all the contracted Pro shooters (all Canikons, no Pentax ) were using it. The photos downloaded to a central PC as soon as they were taken. So at any point during the event, the organisers already had all their official shots on the Hard Disk.

I think for that event , the client actually had EyeFi capability as a requirement for the Pro photographers taking on the job, and that may be increasingly true for similar events.

It was a kiddie event, and the organisers made some very nice side income for parents and kids wanting to have photos taken with their favourite cartoon characters. My daughter had her photo taken with Dora the Explorer , then I went to the counter, paid and collected the photograph already printed out, seamlessly, all with Eye-Fi.

Last edited by kittykat46; 11-08-2010 at 09:04 PM.
11-09-2010, 03:27 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I'm wondering, did their Eye-Fi work with any significant distance? I use ad-hoc on my laptop in the studio. Beyond three feet, the transfer speed decreases from about five seconds to 8 seconds. At 10 feet almost fifteen seconds. In the next room, it works but VERY slow.

I have not had a chance to set up with a wireless router and wonder if that works much better with stronger base station power. (I would expect transmission from the camera to be consistent and speed to not change)

I probably should still invest in a portable wi-fi router if I go out of my home. Ad-Hoc has, at best, uses WEP enrcyption which is so very easily hackable -- we're talking seconds before some dedicated person can get in on the network and potentially siphon away all your work.
11-22-2010, 04:17 AM   #28
Pentaxian

FYI,
The EyeFi Pro X2 8GB card had been working just fine in my K5.
Ugraded firmware, and three times in ten minutes (five times in a hour), the camera reported a Memory Card Error.

Switched to another card, no problem all day.
Sadly on a job, and would have been nice to show images right away without swapping cards and downloading several dozen 30MB files between each subject.

Tried reformatting the card, but no luck.
EyeFi told me about a week ago that they had some issues with some K7s (no testing with K5 yet), and one issue was each firmware upgrade causes different behavior. So they could not consistently put "Compatible" on their charts.

It appears the K5 also suffers this potential problem.
If you do not need the 20 frame buffer, you might want to hold off upgrading the K5 firmware.

Very sad.
11-22-2010, 04:54 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Kaikista paras on, laittaa kortti koneeseen ja menoksi. Ei ole vaaraa, koko kamera hajoaisi jos joku katasroffi sattuisi. Ja se on nopeampi, kun mikään muu mutkankautta lataaminen. En halua olla kehityksen jarruna, mutta minun suurenpi ongelma on saada Pentax K-5 RAW ajuri Aperture 3 ohjelmaan.
11-22-2010, 07:13 PM   #30

I've been using Eye-Fi with my K-5 (under Mac OS) and it works brilliantly!