Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-5 vs MZ-S vs LX vs PZ-1p vs ist*D vs K10D vs K20D vs K-7 vs.......

The K-5 is the top level Pentax now, but out of all time in their time..., what is the top Pentax in its time and Why? I started a lens thread a while back (on DPR ) comparing different series lenses. But now cameras. The lens thread concluded that there were great lenses in every series.

I am more interested in the Camera in its own time. And how they compare in the feel they give out.... something which I consider to be essential.

EDIT: to clarify. for example, I know the K10D might be rated higher than the K20D because it was a higher tier camera. The K20D improved the K10D but was no longer on the same step that the K10D landed on. get my drift. I know they are not comparable next to each other, but which is the highest Pentax. K-5 vs LX? MZ-S vs Spotmatic.
For me personally, I find the calling of the LX one hard to ignore. Even though I have never held one, I know its a high end camera which is very well regarded. I would have said the PZ-1p was also a top tier camera, but it was not as soulful as some others.

Last edited by Steelski; 10-30-2010 at 02:11 PM.
10-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I'll give it a try: Back when the Pentax line consisted of the K2, KX, KM, ME and MX, I found the ME to be the top camera. Granted, it only provided Av exposure automation and no manual settings (except for X), but is was compact, had the biggest and brightest viewfinder of any Pentax, and it was simple to use. The only controls you needed mess with during a shoot were the aperture and the exposure compensation. No confusion possible. The +/- 2EV compensation was a sufficient replacement for manual exposure.
06-28-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's many years later but this post was suggested to me - probably on the basis of my search history
I had the ME and KX. The KX was vastly superior in my view. It was a tank of a camera, mechanical, mirror lock-up and depth preview, and very easy to hold. The ME made decisions for you - something I didn't like. I sold my KX but sometimes regret it. I binned the ME.
It is funny now to see that the KX has the highest approval rate on the forum - even more than the LX, the camera I never had... I did own the K2 later, but preferred the KX. Never had the MX, which might have been a contender.