Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 initial remarks

My K-5 came in this morning, and I just got back from my first shoot with it! Here are some of my initial remarks:

Exposure is much more accurate, dynamic range is larger
I did some cityscape shooting, and not once did I have to use exposure compensation when shooting the sky. All the photos were clear, correctly exposed, and very true-to-life. My conclusion is that the K-5's image quality is quite a ways above that of the K-7.

High-ISO performance is impressive
In an indoor test shot using flash, an ISO 1600 shot from the K-5 was less grainy than one from the K-7 at ISO 200. In addition, the colors were more accurate.

Lots of software improvements!
Instant RAW conversion from the buffer, dedicated electronic horizon display on the back LCD, AF point selection (5 or 11), AF priorities, and extensive bracketing controls are just a few of the features that immediately stood out. I found the electronic horizon especially useful- when I had my 300mm mounted on a tripod, I went by the horizon rather than the viewfinder to make sure that my photo was level!

Continuous Buffer
Through some tests I did, it seems that 30 JPGs, on average, can go in the buffer when shooting on Hi mode using AFS or MF. This is because as the camera writes to the card, it frees up buffer space and makes it ready for the next photo. Also, after the buffer has been filled and the camera starts writing, the camera doesn't freeze up, and you can still continue taking photos as buffer memory is freed. The only thing I'm disappointed with is the 2FPS lo mode- it should be 3FPS.

Mirror Slap Prevention
The K-5 shutter sounds different than the K-7 shutter when shooting in single-frame mode. It seems to me that it's not moving at full speed, in order to keep mirror slap to a minimum. I haven't done any tests to confirm this, but there are three distinct audible sounds in each shutter actuation, rather than the K-7's short and elegant single noise.

As a side note, we will be doing a professional review of both the K-5 and the K-r later down the road- hopefully as soon as possible, as time permits. My best guess of when the K-5 review will be up is the week of November 22. I'll also be posting some basic comparison shots and sample photos later today.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for giving us the benefit of your insights, Adam. Look forward to the full review (and to being in a position--not too long from now I hope--to replace my beloved K-7 with the K-5).
10-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks Adam

I am looking forward to the full review which should be araound the time I obtain my K-5 here in Oz
10-30-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Great info Adam!

Can you give any of us other Jpeg shooters some OOC settings for the best images? Can ya?

Thanks in advance,
Ray

10-30-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Adam, I look forward to your professional reviews. As far as image quality is concerned, K-x has already set a benchmark for Pentax cameras and it's well accepted fact that k-x has better quality than k-7. Hence IMO, k-5/k-r should be better compared against k-x than k-7 in IQ department.

Yusuf

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
My K-5 came in this morning, and I just got back from my first shoot with it! Here are some of my initial remarks:

Exposure is much more accurate, dynamic range is larger
I did some cityscape shooting, and not once did I have to use exposure compensation when shooting the sky. All the photos were clear, correctly exposed, and very true-to-life. My conclusion is that the K-5's image quality is quite a ways above that of the K-7.

High-ISO performance is impressive
In an indoor test shot using flash, an ISO 1600 shot from the K-5 was less grainy than one from the K-7 at ISO 200. In addition, the colors were more accurate.

As a side note, we will be doing a professional review of both the K-5 and the K-r later down the road- hopefully as soon as possible, as time permits. ..
10-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
Great info Adam!

Can you give any of us other Jpeg shooters some OOC settings for the best images? Can ya?

Thanks in advance,
Ray
As far as I remember, I used sharpness +1 and contrast and saturation +2. Those worked very well on the K-7, but I will have to play around with the settings on the K-5. So far, defaults have been good, but more contrast wouldn't hurt, it seems.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

As far as I remember, I used sharpness +1 and contrast and saturation +2. Those worked very well on the K-7, but I will have to play around with the settings on the K-5. So far, defaults have been good, but more contrast wouldn't hurt, it seems.

Okee dokee!
I'm just trying to get a heads up on this new sensor, please keep me (us) informed.

10-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing this Adam. It keeps being confirmed - the K-5 is a vast improvement on an already excellent camera.

Look forward to the pro reviews.
10-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Adam, anything to report on auto White Balance performance? This is one of the most underrated things a camera does IMHO. I have never been impressed with the K20d's WB performance--sometimes resembles a crap shoot actually. Just the professional version.

Thanks for the report up to now.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 10-30-2010 at 11:07 PM.
10-30-2010, 11:09 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'll get back to you on that one- will likely have to wait till I've throughly gone through all the options.

Adam

10-31-2010, 12:35 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Thanks Adam!
I am looking forward your exciting review soon.
And hopefully I will get my K-5 next week.
10-31-2010, 04:30 AM   #12
k54
Forum Member

Same settings on my Kx for 2 months now. This is the setting that is pleasing to my eye and never changed it anymore.

Thanks for sharing yours!
10-31-2010, 04:50 AM   #13
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Nice to read some minireviews, ceep them coming.
10-31-2010, 05:13 AM   #14
Forum Member

Благодаря,Адам!
Чакам продължение и снимки.
10-31-2010, 05:46 AM   #15
ogl
Banned

AF point selection (5 or 11),
Is there manual selection with 5 AF points?
Is it real to put 5 AF POINTS mode for manual selection?