Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #1

K-5 a worthwhile upgrade for a jpg shooter?

I use my K-x primarily for shots of the family and kids. A lot of my shooting is done indoors with available light. The K-x with Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 is my primary lens and provides good images without much blur up to about ISO 3200. After ISO 3200 most jpgs have a bit too much noise and loss of detail for my tastes. I shoot only in jpg because I do not have the time or desire to convert from RAW and clean up in PP. I fully understand the inherit limitations of jpg vs RAW, but for my purposes it's jpg or nothing. I am intrigued about the possibility of shooting at ISO 6400 or higher to eliminate blur of fast moving kids without resorting to the flash. So all of this boils down to whether the K-5 produces better high-ISO jpgs than the K-x. I have seen a lot of discussion so far about the excellent K-5 RAW performance at high ISOs but haven't seen much, if any, discussion about jpg. Any thoughts?

10-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I would say it is. See my remarks thread in this forum- just posted it! The JPG IQ is stunning.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-30-2010, 06:06 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, I would say it is. See my remarks thread in this forum- just posted it! The JPG IQ is stunning.
Hmm, I didn't see any comments specifically about the jpg high-ISO performance. Do you have any in-camera jpegs that you can share? Or should I just wait for the full review?
10-30-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I don't use RAW- so everything I have to say is related to JPGs

Ole will be providing the remarks on RAW in our review. Also, we should have the test shots up later this week, if not tomorrow.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks Adam!

All this Jpeg talk has got me worked up!
10-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Was that a light-hearted comment Adam or you really don't use RAW?
10-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #7

Original Poster

Ole will be providing the remarks on RAW in our review. Also, we should have the test shots up later this week, if not tomorrow.
Excellent, I look forward to the results! Of course my decision is pretty much made at this point anyway, that K-5 is one impressive piece of machinery.....
10-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Was that a light-hearted comment Adam or you really don't use RAW?
I know for a fact that Adam is a Jpeg shooter, raw is for pansies!

10-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian

You serious, Adam? RAW is one of the main reasons that I used an DSLR, else I would just use an P&S

Maybe it's just only me.
10-31-2010, 12:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

benison doesn't use RAW either, along with many photojournalists.

I'm a pack-rack, so naturally I have to shoot RAW.
10-31-2010, 01:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I used to be purely a RAW user, but now I'm mainly a JPEG user, switching to RAW for difficult lighting conditions.
The latest crop Pentax cameras are just so good with regard to AWB, exposure accuracy and High-ISO performance, most of the time out-of-camera JPEG is good enough for keepers.

Of course, for the best control over results, especially when I need to rework difficult shots, RAW is still the way to go.
10-31-2010, 02:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

-Fun, snap shots: JPEG .

-Serious: RAW
10-31-2010, 03:05 AM   #13
Forum Member

What you will love about Pentax K-5 is, when you don't have a second chance to make another shot, this is where the save-as RAW come to the rescue, and it makes the difference.
I do however shoots mostly in jpeg and from an ambient lighting ISO 800 of K-7, im confident enough to use K-5 ISO 3200 using non/less noise reduction. And yeahh it's now more fun shooting with new gear.

...buaobao
10-31-2010, 05:24 AM   #14
Forum Member

Аз снимам репортажи,концерти,танци и улици и имам много кадри,затова снимам предимно в JPEG.
Privet!