Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 05:58 AM   #31

Photos: Albums
Thank you very much for your efforts and teamwork! Rep awarded!

Sleep time...

11-04-2010, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I'm just as anxious to see the results as everyone else

I just took the shots and directly uploaded them to John without opening the RAW files (with the exception of confirming that ACR doesn't like you taking pictures of currency).
It's true guys...

The first batch of images we took(with money) worked nicely.
Then all of a sudden, ACR/Photoshop decided we had done enough and then we began getting warnings from Photoshop about how editing currency was prohibited! - Which resulted in PS rejecting the images.

The only way I could find around this, was to RAW Process the images with RPP(which was fine) however, since RPP seems to produce better detail and highlight recovery than ACR, I worry that some people may feel we cheated in some way when they try to replicate our findings.

Either way, everything worked-out fine in the end.

I finished processing the images late last night(this morning). It took much longer than we anticipated because RPP won't auto-adjust exposure in batch processing if more than +4 stops of eV is needed. So, we had to process them individually instead. And their were quite a few files to work through.

Today, I'll working on making crops and noise maps for each sample, and they should be ready to post.

Also... we have some K20D and GX20 RAW files coming as well(to compare).
However, we are still looking for K-7 and K-x RAW pushed samples to add to the the case study. IMO. the more sampling data we can get our hands on, the more significant the results will be.

Having said all that, I think everyone will be very pleased with the K-5's RAW high ISO performance in contrast to past Pentax systems(hint hint... ).

Last edited by JohnBee; 11-04-2010 at 11:08 AM.
11-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Having said all that, I think everyone will be very pleased with the K-5's RAW high ISO performance in contrast to past Pentax systems(hint hint... ).
Dude, enough with the promises; just show me the money! (Or not, as the case may be thanks to Photoshop )

11-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Meanwhile, DxO measured the K-5 and confirmed raw-level NR applied to ISO levels above 1600. It increases SNR by 1.5 dB or half a stop.

OTOH, low ISO pushed beyond ISO 1600 may be free of this NR. The tests have to be very careful to actually showcase this though. 1.5 dB isn't much.