Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K5 Vs K7

Hi all, does anyone know of any places doing a direct comparison of the K5 and K7? I'm wanting to move up and am wondering if the K7 is a big enough leap to justify the big jump in price. I'm particularly looking for accuracy of AF particularly in terms of tracking moving brides! Any thoughts?
Thanks,

Phil

10-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/118553-k5-auto-focus-tests.html

The photos of actual interest start at around page 6 or 7 of the thread. I think they demonstrate that the K5 is more than capable of tracking a bride staggering down the aisle (or being pushed by her father, as the only one I've ever photographed was).

10-31-2010, 10:13 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
In my own unscientific test (in the store and on the street out front) it was a little bit faster, but not a lot. It still lags far behind the Canon 7d which, at least where I live is selling for about the same amount. I tested all 3 side by side

So I would say if focusing speed and tracking are what you need then the K5 isn't worth the upgrade. The IQ from the RAW test shots I took is much better than the K7 at higher ISO (1600+) so if that is important then maybe, but it is still priced too high compared to the competition. When the price comes down in 6 months then it may be worth while to upgrade.
10-31-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
That's all helpful stuff. Thanks for the info. I wonder why it is priced SO much higher than the k7. Was the k7 much more when it was first released than it is now?

10-31-2010, 11:34 AM   #5

The K7 had almost the same price, so there is not that much difference.

Btw. the Sigma Lenses are a lot faster than the "original" Pentax Lenses, so maybe it would just enough to go that road.
10-31-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil_Rose Quote
That's all helpful stuff. Thanks for the info. I wonder why it is priced SO much higher than the k7. Was the k7 much more when it was first released than it is now?
Yes it was 1400 body only (maybe 1500, can't recall he exact amt). That is the general pricing trend for pentax bodies (the k7 has actually done the best job of holding value that I can recall, at least of their high end line; the kx has done the best hands down based on pure percentages).
10-31-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes Complaining about price will not change anything.

10-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #8

The K7 was released with an MSRP of $1299, $300 less than the K5. The nikon D7000, which is the K7 rival from Nikon has an MSRP $400 less than the K5, and will surely have better focusing, double the buffer, dual card slots, etc.

Not a good pricing strategy from Hoya.
10-31-2010, 12:02 PM   #9
raz

What do you prefer, having dual cards slot or shake reduction in the camera ?
10-31-2010, 01:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote
The K7 was released with an MSRP of $1299, $300 less than the K5. The nikon D7000, which is the K7 rival from Nikon has an MSRP $400 less than the K5, and will surely have better focusing, double the buffer, dual card slots, etc.

In reading previous message from you , were you ready to switch to Nikon?Seem so as you feel Pentax is bad on everything
10-31-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote

My understanding is that the firmware revision will bring the buffer depth up to similar to the D7000.
I can't comment on the AF, other than to say I am sure you are correct.
I take it in camera shake reduction isn't something you see as worthwhile enough to pay a premium for?
10-31-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
In reading previous message from you , were you ready to switch to Nikon?Seem so as you feel Pentax is bad on everything
I think aragondina made a good point and I agree with him regarding the price issue. Really wished the K5 wouldn't be that much higher than its competitors.

As the user reviews start trickling in, the K5 is looking to be the best camera in the range. Pentax really outdid themselves and although their AF system is still lacking, it is closing the gap fast.

Here's for more improvements in the future.
10-31-2010, 03:38 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I don't think this is the place for a personal attack, but some people can't see the truth.

To answer you, no Pentax isn't bad on everything. The competition do make more well rounded cameras though, and in this case, for less money. I do plan to switch brands due to needing a full frame and Pentax doesn't seem interested in providing that. The IQ on the K5 is good enough to allow me to use it as a second body and utilize my existing lenses though. If the buffer can be changed in the firmware to give an average of a 3 second RAW burst then it would fit the bill, if not I would have to buy a second Nikon body also, and lose the in-body IS.

If the price were where it should be, around $1200, and the buffer shortfall can be corrected then I would snap one up right now and happily use my lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
What do you prefer, having dual cards slot or shake reduction in the camera ?
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I take it in camera shake reduction isn't something you see as worthwhile enough to pay a premium for?
I don't feel that the IS is worth an extra $400 when combined with slower focus and less accurate metering than the Nikon. I won't even discuss the Nikon flash system. If the K5 and the D7000 were the same price then one would have to make a choice and for Pentax that would be in body IS, and give up other things like the dual card slots and better tracking AF. With a $400 difference there should not be the need for choosing one feature over the other. Most if not all the options the competitors have should be included. (more money = more options)
10-31-2010, 03:43 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
My understanding is that the firmware revision will bring the buffer depth up to similar to the D7000.
After the firmware update, the K-5 will have the bigger buffer; but even now, I doubt the D7000 would shoot 16 14-bit NEFs. Double what?
The K-5 is the more up-market camera, so it should cost more (yes, even if it's a Pentax; and no, SR is not it's only strong point). I see no price issue - but I live in Europe... and here, the K-5 is just slightly more expensive than the D7000.

Aragondina, from what I see you already declared the K-5 the "looser"; maybe you wouldn't be happy unless you'll go with the Nikon?
10-31-2010, 06:41 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
After the firmware update, the K-5 will have the bigger buffer; but even now, I doubt the D7000 would shoot 16 14-bit NEFs. Double what?
The K-5 is the more up-market camera, so it should cost more (yes, even if it's a Pentax; and no, SR is not it's only strong point). I see no price issue - but I live in Europe... and here, the K-5 is just slightly more expensive than the D7000.

Aragondina, from what I see you already declared the K-5 the "looser"; maybe you wouldn't be happy unless you'll go with the Nikon?
It amazes me that some people are such retarded zealots that all they know is to attack when someone questions their beliefs. At the price it's at the k5 is the loser, it is not a more upscale camera, along the line of the 7d, but it's in line with the d7000, but it shouldn't be priced $400 more than the Nikon. Since you are in Europe you are used to paying higher prices so you probably don't care, but some of us do. If it were around a 5% difference it would be ok, but 18% is a lot of premium for blind brand loyalty.

Did you not notice that I praised the IQ of the K5 and said I was willing to shell out my hard earned money for it? I would if the price were in line with it's competitors offerings. It's not in the same league as the 7d, so it shouldn't be priced like it, that's all. If Hoya had priced this the same at the K7 ($1300) when it launched they would have pre-sold a ton. Now except for the zealots and people with too much money, it will sit on the shelf till the price drops in 6 months to a year. In the mean time tens of thousands of D7000's will be sold. Hoya's loss is Nikons gain. Only a moron would pay more to get less.

It's hard to get people to buy into a system that isn't Canon or Nikon, and being more expensive doesn't help that. Being a blind fanboy doesn't help the image of Pentax either.
Closed Thread