Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Forum Member

Any K5 Long exposure low iso samples please?

Hi K-5 owners and potential owners. I have seen countless topics about high iso low noise, now how about some long exposures (5-25+sec @ iso 100-200) with noise report? Just want to see how the sensor handles heat from being powered for the extended period.

I am humbly requesting some samples of these please.

10-31-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, I second that, I would like to see 30 second to several minute exposures if someone could get them? I'm doing a lot of several minute exposures with my 7D, so that's my primary interest out of the K-5.
10-31-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some examples were kindly presented in the first K-5 thread by frank (Hands on with the K-5). He applauded the fine results and couldn't find fault in the noise department. Even better would be some star trails exposures of 30mins or more to see how the sensor holds up there compared to the old CCD sensors, but I guess that would be left to the user to find out, or just wait for someone keen on star trails to post a photo using the K-5...
11-02-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I scoured the Internet for long exposures and found none yet.

Anyone own the K5 yet? If so, can you post some long (non-DFS) exposures please.

I am suggesting: 1, 2, 5, 10 minute exposures at ISO 400/800. Or just about anything will make a whole bunch of us very happy.

I am holding off a purchase until then.

11-03-2010, 12:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You guys do know that people actually have to have the camera in hand in order to take photos with it, and that the K-5 is very new, and not even on sale yet in some markets....

Otherwise, keep an eye on places like:
Photoble Uploader for PENTAX
or
Flickr: Pentax K-5 Photographers
or
Pentax SLR Cameras on Pixel-Peeper
11-03-2010, 05:20 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
I scoured the Internet for long exposures and found none yet.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/118405-hands-k-5-a-5.html

Whilst not extra long exposures, these results by frank can give a idea - anything else and we'd have to wait for someone keen on star trails and the like to do one with the K-5.

Last edited by Ash; 11-05-2010 at 04:24 AM.
11-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/118405-hands-k-5-a-5.html

Whilst not extra long exposures, these results by frank can give a idea - anything else and we'd have to wait for someone keen on star trails and the like to do one with the K-5.
Yes, Frank's photos on page 5 gave me my first 'butterfly' feelings about the K5. I think Pentax has done it finally!

Can it be true? Is there a Santa Clause after all?

See: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/118405-hands-k-5-a-5.html

11-04-2010, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to see you're impressed pentaxmz. I know this and DFS options have been bones of contention on your part.
11-04-2010, 04:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well the Singapore Pentax group will be doing a night shoot tomorrow. So plenty of long exposure shots.
There will be more than 30 Pentax users (many with the new K-5 and K-r) shooting, plus there are photographers using other brands who want to try out the demo K-5 and K-r cameras that will be available for use.
Hoping to win them over to the ranks of new Pentax users. Looking forward to a fun night outing and delicious supper and drinks later.

We hope to shoot images like this one from an award winning local Pentax shooter (shot with the new K-r).

Last edited by creampuff; 11-04-2010 at 05:05 AM.
11-04-2010, 07:57 AM   #10

I just got the K-5 in my hands yesterday. I dont have a ton of time at the moment but i have been shooting some samples using the K-5 and shooting the same scenes with my K-7 for comparisons with the same glass. So far so good. The K-5 seems to have finally broken into new territory of iso performance.

I have to do something for work tonight but i will try to set it up and get some 30 second exposures to see what it can do.

I have owned a K10, K20 and the, K7 and none of them have done a good job at long exposure. I'm anxious myself to see if the new sensor changes the game in this regard.

I'll either add the samples to this thread or post a link here to access them.
11-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Yes, Frank's photos on page 5 gave me my first 'butterfly' feelings about the K5. I think Pentax has done it finally!

Can it be true? Is there a Santa Clause after all?

See: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/118405-hands-k-5-a-5.html
Thanks, the images on page five is very informative.

The ISO performance on this camera has been covered throughout this forum. Long or Timed exposures at the Base ISO is preferred
11-04-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Well the Singapore Pentax group will be doing a night shoot tomorrow. So plenty of long exposure shots.
There will be more than 30 Pentax users (many with the new K-5 and K-r) shooting, plus there are photographers using other brands who want to try out the demo K-5 and K-r cameras that will be available for use.
Hoping to win them over to the ranks of new Pentax users. Looking forward to a fun night outing and delicious supper and drinks later.

We hope to shoot images like this one from an award winning local Pentax shooter (shot with the new K-r).
Very Inspiring Image!!
11-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by trevisthomas Quote
I just got the K-5 in my hands yesterday. I dont have a ton of time at the moment but i have been shooting some samples using the K-5 and shooting the same scenes with my K-7 for comparisons with the same glass. So far so good. The K-5 seems to have finally broken into new territory of iso performance.

I have to do something for work tonight but i will try to set it up and get some 30 second exposures to see what it can do.

I have owned a K10, K20 and the, K7 and none of them have done a good job at long exposure. I'm anxious myself to see if the new sensor changes the game in this regard.

I'll either add the samples to this thread or post a link here to access them.
Cant wait!
11-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Nothing interesting, just two quick snaps from kitchen window for those who wonder about long exposures. I've never done long exposures before so bear with me. Both "High-ISO NR" and "Long exposure NR (DFS)" turned off.

Full sized picture links (not for folks still on dialup):

Shot through window, ISO800, F6.3, 5s

This time I opened the window and looks like I managed to catch some UFO activity too
ISO200, F8, 30s

I hope this helps.

Last edited by simico; 11-04-2010 at 12:05 PM.
11-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #15

Pentax K-7 vs K-5 Long Exposure Low ISO

Ok, here are some samples of the K5 vs the K7 with low iso and long exposure.

These were all shot with as much noise reduction as possible turned off in the camera. They were shot from a tripod with the mirror locked using an ir remote.

These were done using a Pentax 100mm f2.8 macro at f32 for about a minute and a half. They were shot in DNG raw, pulled into Lightroom and exported. The crops were exported and cropped in photoshop down to 1024x768.

The full shots both look fine from both cameras but the 100% crops clearly show that the new K-5 is playing on a whole new level.

Pentax has stepped into a new league.

Something that is not observable in the images is the fact that the K-7 (like the K10 and 20 before it) chews on the images for a *long* time before you can use the camera again. The K5 doesn't seem to do this at all. I guess this is because the other bodies are doing post processing in the body?

Anyway, enjoy the sample shots...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo