Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 06:00 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
So there are no way to put AA batteries in the K5 using a similar Kr system?
(well I'm pretty sure we can not, but I still ask, maybe an adapter could show up... )
You are correct, there is no way to put AA in the K5 w/o a grip (like the Kr). Also, there won't be an adapter either; there simply would not be enough room where the currect battery resides to stick 4 AA batteries.

11-04-2010, 08:03 AM   #32

Also coming from K20D (GX20 actually, but...). They've removed the SR-switch. Thank you Pentax!

It was so easy to accidentally turn off SR - ruined quite a few shots for me. And the rest is great (I mean GREAT) too. Don't mind the mode lock. I don't think the dedicated iso-button is an improvement, but maybe that's just a question of habit.
11-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thomascdk Quote
Also coming from K20D (GX20 actually, but...). They've removed the SR-switch. Thank you Pentax!

It was so easy to accidentally turn off SR - ruined quite a few shots for me. And the rest is great (I mean GREAT) too. Don't mind the mode lock. I don't think the dedicated iso-button is an improvement, but maybe that's just a question of habit.
So YOU are the one to blame for losing the SR switch.

Although I have ruined my share of shots also due to the wrong SR setting, at least with the switch I could tell at a glance the setting and change it with one move. Now its buried in the INFO menu and takes a lot longer to change it if I even notice its wrong.
You just can't please all the people all the time. I like the change in menu navigation a lot as well as the INFO screen and if thats the trade-off for the SR switch then so be it.
11-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote

Although I have ruined my share of shots also due to the wrong SR setting, at least with the switch I could tell at a glance the setting and change it with one move. Now its buried in the INFO menu and takes a lot longer to change it if I even notice its wrong.
You just can't please all the people all the time. I like the change in menu navigation a lot as well as the INFO screen and if thats the trade-off for the SR switch then so be it.
I hated the SR switch on my K10D, because it was too easy to move inadvertently, something that happened quite frequently in my hands. I much prefer having it out of reach but still easy to access.

Rob

11-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #35
Veteran Member

the more external switches the better imo.
11-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I hated the SR switch on my K10D, because it was too easy to move inadvertently, something that happened quite frequently in my hands. I much prefer having it out of reach but still easy to access.

Rob
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
I generally like a lot of external buttons too, but I found that the times I inadvertently switched SR off on my K10D was more annoying that having to turn it on and off via a menu. Too bad they couldn't have just made it a little more difficult to move (maybe like the mode lock to prevent inadvertently chaging the setting) and keep it as an external level.
11-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 65535 Quote
First impressions, positive:

4- Shutter sound.... smooth. But I always liked a solid mechanical sounding shutter/mirror. Still..... smooooooth... niiiiiice.
If you ask nicely, maybe Pentax can add an option for an artificial shutter sound (à la spotmatic) in a later software upgrading...like you can select a fake shutter sound on many mobile phone cameras.

11-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
If you ask nicely, maybe Pentax can add an option for an artificial shutter sound (à la spotmatic) in a later software upgrading...like you can select a fake shutter sound on many mobile phone cameras.
Like when they put the recording of a "real" engine under the hood of hybrids (like the Prius) that are too quiet otherwise?
11-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #39

the SR disabled automatically when you use the 2 ou 10 sec delay (you're suppose to use a tripod) so at the end, so there are no much needs to have an external button
11-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
the SR disabled automatically when you use the 2 ou 10 sec delay (you're suppose to use a tripod) so at the end, so there are no much needs to have an external button
I thought about that as a "shortcut" as well. However, if you do that I think (not 100% sure) that you lose the ability to shoot quick burst shots at 7fps. Plus, the way it's configured on the K5 at the moment, to switch out of AF-point selection mode you have to hold down the center select button for almost a second to switch control to the WB/Flash/Drive buttons.... so by the time you're done, you could have disenabled/enabled the SR through the INFO/menu.
11-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #41
Veteran Member

In general, I love having direct physical access to needed controls. But this is not a good example.

First, it takes an instant to see if SR is on, since the Info screen displays this directly. Second, the confirmation in the viewfinder tells you it is working. Neither of these methods takes longer than looking at the position of a switch.

On top of all this the camera turns SR off only when appropriate. I can't actually think of a time I would want to over-ride this. It's a good candidate for automation.

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
That just leads to clutter. The fewer switches and buttons the more places one can rest one's face and fingers without accidentally hitting something. Getting the balance right is the important thing, otherwise we would have 300 buttons... one for each menu function.

I think Pentax has got it right, with the single exception of the LV button, which is annoyingly easy to trigger.
11-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Wow wow wow wow wow!

I think Inspector Gadget will forgive you if you use the word "Wowsers!"
11-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I turned on that pretend shutter sound on my P&S
Totally silent camera operation felt just too weird for me.
But I do appreciate the K-5's very quiet shutter.
11-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I find it quite easy to just press down lightly with my index finger and turn it with both my middle finger and thumb (don't twist or turn your hand, just spin it with the two fingers). Keep your index finger steady and just let the wheel slide under. Works for me even with gloves on (though obviously a little more awkward as I can't actually see the dial). And just to be sure, make sure you're using your left hand, heh.

I do the same thing on my K-7. But I'm also left-handed, so the manual dexterity necessary never phased me. For anyone who struggles, I dunno, just consider it payback for all those right handed scissors you get to lord over us lefties.
11-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #45

Original Poster
Wow wow wow!

Just came back from an office party..... awful lighting abounds.

Just me, the K-5 and the DA*16-50/2.8.....

This camera rules.

I had to fight not to use flash all the time.... only because people were making sarcastic comments about my abilities....... (wtf you trying to do-- raise the flash! Uh, it would go better with flash)...

And then I showed them the results and they shut their faces.

Really I had a huge problem with the high-iso. Years of trying to avoid anything over 800 at all cost made me cringe when I saw the camera deep into 3200, sometimes 6400.... and then I looked at the pics and they looked fantastic.

Focus was not super-fast but it was dead-accurate..... and by not super fast I mean tons better than the K20D which itself was tons better than the K100d which itself obliterated the *ist DL.

People came up trying to use it.... they never used an SLR before. Just look through the finder, half-press listen for the beep and click down. Use flash if you feel like it but you don't have to..... They came back with excellent results

More and maybe samples tomorrow!

This camera is the real deal. if you're on the fence... just buy it. At $1500 it is well worth it. It is YEARS ahead of anything else Pentax makes

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 10-31-2017 at 10:34 PM. Reason: remove swearing
Closed Thread