Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #76

Original Poster
Looks fine on my monitor.... I don't see what you guys are saying...

Lighting was def. influenced by the projector. Don't forget I also messed with WB in LR.

Last one was untouched I think.

11-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #77

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I would have run a flash w/ a CTS gel to overpower that ugly mixed lighting...
No idea what this means LOL.

In my world CTS is a car based off GM's zeta platform.
11-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #78

First real deal shooting with K-5:
All I asked was working AF, bigger buffer and somehow usable ISO up to 6400.
http://horsthelmut.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Tapahtumia/Kudos-klubi+2v/

My monitor calibration went crazy a while ago, I don't know what happened. Everything just changed, so I don't know about the contrast, brightness etc., when looking most of my photos from a calibrated monitor they seem to be washed out and lacking contrast... And I officially suck at PP anyway. Getting a new computer and monitor probably next month which can handle LR3 and PS CS5 that we use at school.

But boy oh boy, I'm so damn impressed about the quality of this camera. This was the turning point for me. Still learning to use it and how to change settings as I shoot.

I'm very happy that I got it, used it in our school assignment yesterday and it just shines. Took some portraits with bounce flash that I just could not take with K200D because the AF is so damn crappy. I don't know if it's broken or the sensors are dirty or what but K-5 just focuses and I can reliably press the shutter without double or triple checking focus.

Could've kept going with K200D as it still has room for me to grow as a photographer but focusing issues were the biggest problem that made me think of changing the whole system to C/N.

Dasputnik starting their set yesterday:
11-06-2010, 12:49 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
This looks like mixed and difficult light... but... there's something about the colors that I don't like and which I've seen in several of the K-5 samples so far: A strange purple color where I would expect bluish.
Light coming from an LCD projector plays havoc with Camera white balance, because it is really a mixture of very few primary colours within narrow frequency bands.

I don't know any camera which handle it well - including bodies costing several timesX the K-5. Patient PP work on a RAW file can help to a certain extent

This was not a problem in the past because High-ISO sensitivity was rarely high enough for LCD projector light to become a major part of the illumination.

Now people start shooting at ISO6400 and above in otherwise dim room lighting, yes , it can become a problem...

Last edited by kittykat46; 11-06-2010 at 01:10 AM.
11-06-2010, 01:13 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anybody have or know of a link to any K5 landscape shots? I'm talking serious stuff here not just snaps. I know it's probably too early but after seeing the DXo tests and the DR for landscapes, was really interested in seeing if this camera can rival the FF boys in real life not just numbers!
11-06-2010, 02:15 AM   #81

Photos: Gallery
The more I here the better the K5 is sounding
11-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Wondering if a good portion of the light is coming from the projector in the front of the room. That could be part of the difficulty in WB.
I think you're right...no windows are exposed anywhere. That is pretty wonky lighting. I always thought projectors were lit w/ halogen bulbs and depending on the technology either shot through an LCD screen or a DLP color wheel.

ozlizard: look up Kerrick James. He did a presentation at the Hunt's photo show in Boston this weekend and had a bunch of photos done w/ the K5 and 645D. Very impressive both, but the 30x40" prints from the 645D were amazing...
11-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #83

Original Poster
Regarding the saving of iffy shots:

K5 can pull detail out of a tar-black raw file and make it look almost normal.

Massive stop underexposure is a non-issue.... just slide the knob over and PRESTO! Clean pic.

However, when highlights are blown they are blown for real.

So make sure you underexpose.

11-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #84

Original Poster
AF360 FGZ

The k5 focuses better without the 360's AF illuminator.

In other words, it focuses worse with flash assist than without.

Strange.
11-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #85
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 65535 Quote
Regarding the saving of iffy shots:

K5 can pull detail out of a tar-black raw file and make it look almost normal.

Massive stop underexposure is a non-issue.... just slide the knob over and PRESTO! Clean pic.

However, when highlights are blown they are blown for real.

So make sure you underexpose.
You might really have try to use that K-5 dynamic range in case of your blown picture and remember to save it in raw if the previews shows clipping in whites.
I had this instance when i took a shot forgetting to lowered the iso and then open the flash up. BAM ... all white with some kinna cartoons characters, but then i remembered what said in the owners manual that you can save in RAW the current frame you're viewing. So i saved, processed and have recovered the blown frame.
Very useful indeed only if can't do another shot of the same subject.

...buaobao
11-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #86

Hopefully the price can drop a bit!