Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #46

Photos: Gallery
Hi, new guy here..

Yes, this camera (K5) has convinced me to stay with Pentax. I have struggled for years thinking of switching to Canikon and was just about to. I now really see that Pentax is staying in the game and is keeping up with the others. This gives me a path to go down for the future and I can keep my lenses! Besides, I have loved Pentax since I was a kid.

Funny, the K5 being introduced has now convinced me to purchase a K7 very soon and hopefully I will get the K5 further on. Right now I have a K200D and love it, but I have grown out of it and need more from my DSLR. I struggled all this time whether to get the K7 or a Canikon but wasn't sure if Pentax was going to keep going past the K7. I have held on to my K200D all this time just to see what would happen. Now I know. I am getting a K7 now because the price is sooo good but again, I look forward to getting the K5 someday as well.

Forgive me for my lack of faith my Pentax brethren...

11-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #47

Original Poster
do not bother with the k7 if you shoot any time before or after noon

i can't believe how bad the sensor in it is.

save your money, wait and grab the k5 when the price drops

or grab it now..... im usually a purchase regretter.... and i have zero regrets with this cam

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 10-31-2017 at 10:35 PM. Reason: remove swearing
11-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by 65535 Quote
do not bother with the k7 if you shoot any time before or after noon

i can't believe how bad the sensor in it is.

save your money, wait and grab the k5 when the price drops

or grab it now..... im usually a purchase regretter.... and i have zero regrets with this cam
Wow, that's putting it bluntly.

I would love to get the K5 now but I have had my eye on the K7 for so long and I cannot convince the wife at spending the money on the K5. Besides, I'm using a K200d right now. The K7 would be a HUGE step up for me.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 10-31-2017 at 10:35 PM. Reason: remove quoted swearing
11-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #49

Original Poster
no it would not. i don't think the image quality of the k7 is really any better than the k200.

the k7 would be a waste of money if you know you eventually want the k5

I bought a brand new car in 2008. Always wanted a big V8

I bought the v6 to save money and save gas.

I have never regretted anything as much in my life. Apart from the weak-sauce motor, the car is great.... which is why I hate it even more... i know how good it COULD be, how much happier i'd be.

11-04-2010, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Seamripper Quote
Wow, that's putting it bluntly.

I would love to get the K5 now but I have had my eye on the K7 for so long and I cannot convince the wife at spending the money on the K5. Besides, I'm using a K200d right now. The K7 would be a HUGE step up for me.
He's right though. I've been a pentax user and fan since 1985. The pentaxc range and qulaity oflenses are superb. the sensor in the K10D,K20D and K-7 are below par compared to the K-5.

I can't wait to get a K-5 ( I currently use a K10D and K20D ). I have absolutely no interest in a K-7.

I never believe "I can't buy it because of the wife" excuses. No one is that hen pecked, and if you are you're in the wrong relationship.

Get yourself a K-5!!!
11-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #51

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
I never believe "I can't buy it because of the wife" excuses. No one is that hen pecked, and if you are you're in the wrong relationship.
THIS x100000
11-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #52

no it would not. i don't think the image quality of the k7 is really any better than the k200.

the k7 would be a waste of money if you know you eventually want the k5

I bought a brand new car in 2008. Always wanted a big V8

I bought the v6 to save money and save gas.

I have never regretted anything as much in my life. Apart from the weak-sauce motor, the car is great.... which is why I hate it even more... i know how good it COULD be, how much happier i'd be.
Your right, The image quality on the K200D kicks ass, but the shutter speed and buffer really suck. I have missed so many shots due to this (racing, kids, etc.)
I realize the K5 shutter is only 5.2 fps but the buffer is bigger and this still beats the K200 by a long shot (2.8 fps with like a 3 shot buffer). This matters to me.

Now to stay on topic, yes, the K5 is something to strive for. The specs and images look fantastic! Glad you like it so much. Like I said, this camera is keeping me with Pentax

11-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
He's right though. I've been a pentax user and fan since 1985. The pentaxc range and qulaity oflenses are superb. the sensor in the K10D,K20D and K-7 are below par compared to the K-5.

I can't wait to get a K-5 ( I currently use a K10D and K20D ). I have absolutely no interest in a K-7.

Get yourself a K-5!!!
Hey, regarding the wife... no need to get personal. I've been happily married for over 11 years and far from being "hen pecked".

My wife never said I couldn't buy one. It's just that I highly respect her and WE have other obligations right now (new born child, etc.). She would let me buy one but I would feel guilt on my own and need to be responsible. I'd be a little pissed if she went out and bought a $1500 hobby item.

Geeze, what have I done here... I just wanted to say I LOVE the K5 too! Sorry I mentioned I was going to by a K7. There seems to be a K7 hatred going on here.

Nice welcome so far...
11-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #54

THIS x100000
Geeze Dude, read my last post. What's with this??
11-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #55

Original Poster
don't take it personally no one knows your situation.

k7 is hated for good reason. It was a huge step down from the k20d wrt noise and color accuracy.

Like I said, if you're cash-strapped, save up... tough it out with your K200d. Then sell it and all its accessories for a decent price. Then get the k5.

Honestly the next cameras will need to be something *very* special for me to upgrade, the k5 is that good.

Of course, when fullframe rolls along we might all be singing a different tune
11-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Hey, regarding the wife... no need to get personal. I've been happily married for over 11 years and far from being "hen pecked".

My wife never said I couldn't buy one. It's just that I highly respect her and WE have other obligations right now (new born child, etc.). She would let me buy one but I would feel guilt on my own and need to be responsible. I'd be a little pissed if she went out and bought a $1500 hobby item.(

This X 1,000,000.

The 'henpecked' comment was a little bit harsh and maybe clueless, and the "X 100000" responder also.

A bad relationship is one in which neither partner communicates with the other about purchases like that. Savings/investments, kid's education, camera purchases, spa trips, shoes, ATVs, snowmobiles, shoes, paintball equipment, shoes, fishing boats, handbags, kayaks, lenses, shoes, etc, etc, etc - usually come out of a shared pool of money. If both parties don't have equal incomes, they should at least have communication about it and respect some level of veto power.

11-05-2010, 12:18 AM   #57
Veteran Member

My wife never said I couldn't buy one. It's just that I highly respect her and WE have other obligations right now (new born child, etc.). She would let me buy one but I would feel guilt on my own and need to be responsible. I'd be a little pissed if she went out and bought a $1500 hobby item.

Geeze, what have I done here... I just wanted to say I LOVE the K5 too! Sorry I mentioned I was going to by a K7. There seems to be a K7 hatred going on here.

Nice welcome so far...
My point remains. As you've just admitted. It's not about your wife, it's about you. That's why I said I never believe the "I can't buy it because of the wife" excuses.

You're the one who originally blamed your wife as an obstacle to you getting a k-5 when you could have just been honest in the first place and said you couldn't spare the money because of your new born.

Anyway, as said.... save up
11-05-2010, 03:13 AM   #58
Veteran Member

as good as the K5 is - it's not complete

it has crappy flash like all Pentax

I work around it with K10D but it would be totally unacceptable for me with the K5
11-05-2010, 03:35 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
as good as the K5 is - it's not complete

it has crappy flash like all Pentax

I work around it with K10D but it would be totally unacceptable for me with the K5
I don't understand about the "Pentax crappy flash" blanket dismissal...

Pentax has made a very significant improvements in P-TTL from the K-7 onwards - it exposes accurately from my experience. I just stick on the external flash, turn it on and shoot. The bounce flash appears calibrated for use with a diffuser - and exposes just right with one.

I clearly disliked P-TTL on the K100D which sometimes underexposed for no apparent reason, then overexposed on other occasions when I dialed in +EV Flash exposure compensation.

I believe the K-5 may have some flash issue which needs a firmware fix...we'll see..
11-05-2010, 04:09 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't want to turn this thread into a K5 versus K7 thread, but I do want to say that the K7 isn't a horrible camera. Granted, the sensor is not very good and it suffers over about iso 800. At the same time, there have been a lot of other improvements along the way since the K200 that would allow a dad to take better photos of his kids. Auto focus is a lot better, camera works better with flash, and auto white balance is a lot better. I agree that the K5 is probably better in every respect to the K7 (or at least equal), but it is pretty important to stay in a budget too.
Closed Thread