Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-01-2010, 11:26 PM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Exploring K-5 Features: Part I

I've posted the first part of our "Exploring the K-5" series on the PF homepage:

Pentax K 5 Features worth noting I - Pentax News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

This will serve as the official discussion thread. Enjoy, and stay tuned for further postings. You might also be interested in checking out my remarks thread, although that's more of a personal thread than a factual treatment.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A fine introductory hands-on practical feature review of the K-5. Thanks for the hard work put into preparing these articles Adam. The new advances from previous models are great to see in both pictures and prose.
11-02-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Is the K-5 electronic level any different to the K-7? The K-7's was updated in the latest firmware, but it seems to be the same as the K-5 as is now?

I do wish they made it activate by pressing the Info button twice..

I look forward to the next section to the review.
11-02-2010, 01:21 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No the level is on both axes horizontal and vertical. K-7's is only horizontal...

11-02-2010, 01:26 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
Is the K-5 electronic level any different to the K-7? The K-7's was updated in the latest firmware, but it seems to be the same as the K-5 as is now?

I do wish they made it activate by pressing the Info button twice..

I look forward to the next section to the review.
The K7 level is basically just the horizon AFAIK, rather than the 2 axis type on the K5. I've had the feature turned off since day one on my K7 because it seemed, either the meter, or the level, couldn't have both (could be wrong about that, never investigated it any further).

Only 2 More Days according to Fedex tracking................................................

Thanks for the posts Adam!

Last edited by JeffJS; 11-02-2010 at 08:21 AM.
11-02-2010, 04:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Adam, you write "include all three axes", but the K-5 "only" monitors two axes (roll (as the K-7) and pitch). In order to monitor the "yaw" angle, it would have to use a compass.

Last edited by Class A; 11-02-2010 at 04:31 AM.
11-02-2010, 04:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Adam, you write "include all three axes", but the K-5 "only" monitors two axes (roll (as the K-7) and pitch). In order to monitor the "yaw" angle, it would have to use a compass.
Can You imagine.... The camera already prefers some attractive women over others. Now it will say, "No.... thats not the direction you want to point the me in... a bit more west will do it" .....
A compass might be a nice feature. when trekking.

11-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I must have thought the camera was a plane for a second Fixed the typo!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So did I (which was based on your information )

11-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

These are great and well written, thanks
11-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well, there doesn't seem to be much missing from the camera to be a plane.

BTW, at the recommended gear page the K-7 is classified as "intermediate" and the K-5 as "advanced". Doesn't make sense to me unless the classification refers to price brackets. I believe the classification attempts to address user groups, so in this sense I don't see a significant difference between K-7 & K-5. I'm sorry if this is off-topic but I didn't know where else to post it.
11-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Didn't know there was a "convert TO raw" option; is that available only in the latest and greatest?
11-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Well, there doesn't seem to be much missing from the camera to be a plane.

BTW, at the recommended gear page the K-7 is classified as "intermediate" and the K-5 as "advanced". Doesn't make sense to me unless the classification refers to price brackets. I believe the classification attempts to address user groups, so in this sense I don't see a significant difference between K-7 & K-5. I'm sorry if this is off-topic but I didn't know where else to post it.
Hehe, I'd say that most of the people on the forum fall outside of the target audience of that guide.

Adam

11-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Didn't know there was a "convert TO raw" option; is that available only in the latest and greatest?
Yes, this is a new feature that is only available on the K-5 (so far at least). I think that some folks will really appreciate this, and makes me wonder why other manaufacturers don't offer this feature.