Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2010, 05:05 PM   #16
Forum Member

С какви настройки и режими на фотоапарата вие сте правил снимки?
При светлина на уютен ресторант нощем не трябва да има АФ проблем.
Може да е било по-тъмно.....
Покажете снимки и екзиф,моля?

11-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #17
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's not lightning fast, but it is very accurate. I haven't had my K-5 hunt yet, even when most the lights were off in the house. ....
Just don't turn AF-C on! I didn't notice I have AF-C on when I did a FF/BF fine-tune adjustments of all my lenses using the outside screen at a 45 degree angle. Direct sunlight, no clouds. The focus never stopped re-adjusting the teeniest bit on my FA 50mm f/1.4.

In retrospect I guess that's a good thing. I wasn't using a tripod, just leaning against a table. I'm sure I was swaying back and forth, and the camera kept the lens re-adjusting to match.
11-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I couldn'r get the Pentax software to even open a Raw file , it said file format wasn't supported.
11-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #19
gtl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blanco Quote
Hi all,
I took my k-5 to a birthdayparty with low light conditions. You could compare the light levels to a cozy restaurant at night.

My experience of the AF was horrible..
I used two different lenses: Pentax DA 16-50 and Pentax DA 50-135.

The Af got it right in about 40% of the shots. Sometimes it even indicated aqquired focus but the focus was totally off and blurry.

I tried both manual and fully auto "green mode".
I noticed a quite big improvement in AF accuracy if not using live view, but far from acceptable.

One really annoying thing was that with the lens hood on the 50-135, the AF-assist light was obscured and AF didn't work. This was also a problem with the 16-50, but not as big.

I had to use the lens hood as "protection" from childrens fingers.

Maybe I have a faulty K-5?
I will do some more tests as soon as i get some time.

Regards

RB

Was the AF assist light on? Falk managed to focus on a teddy bear in absurd lighting conditions, as can be seen in the previous posts. So unless your party was even darker than that...

11-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Hi all,
I took my k-5 to a birthdayparty with low light conditions. You could compare the light levels to a cozy restaurant at night.

My experience of the AF was horrible..
I used two different lenses: Pentax DA 16-50 and Pentax DA 50-135.

The Af got it right in about 40% of the shots. Sometimes it even indicated aqquired focus but the focus was totally off and blurry.

I tried both manual and fully auto "green mode".
I noticed a quite big improvement in AF accuracy if not using live view, but far from acceptable.

One really annoying thing was that with the lens hood on the 50-135, the AF-assist light was obscured and AF didn't work. This was also a problem with the 16-50, but not as big.

I had to use the lens hood as "protection" from childrens fingers.

Maybe I have a faulty K-5?
I will do some more tests as soon as i get some time.

Regards

RB
Hey there RB,

Post some photos with exposure/EXIF data and we can try to help. I suspect that using a longish lens like the DA*50-135 in a dark room with Live View composition would result in shutter speeds that too slow to hold the camera steady. Is it possible that what you are identifying as out of focus is actually camera shake?
11-30-2010, 02:58 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Hey there RB,

Post some photos with exposure/EXIF data and we can try to help. I suspect that using a longish lens like the DA*50-135 in a dark room with Live View composition would result in shutter speeds that too slow to hold the camera steady. Is it possible that what you are identifying as out of focus is actually camera shake?
Hi, I will post som examples when I get home again.
I dont think it was a shake problem, since I used a mono pod almost all the time, and I had exactly the same behavior with the 16-50 lens trying to focus on subjects 10 feet away.

Both lenses tried to focus back and forward for about 2-3 seconds to finally indicate focus with the "green square". But the image was completely blurry.

The light conditions where not at all dark, and even my iPhone4 aquired focus directly..
11-30-2010, 04:27 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi, I will post som examples when I get home again.
I dont think it was a shake problem, since I used a mono pod almost all the time, and I had exactly the same behavior with the 16-50 lens trying to focus on subjects 10 feet away.

Both lenses tried to focus back and forward for about 2-3 seconds to finally indicate focus with the "green square". But the image was completely blurry.

The light conditions where not at all dark, and even my iPhone4 aquired focus directly..
The contrast AF in LV uses an algorithm which is a big improvement and pretty accurate and fast.

However, it's still not where I wished it to be and where I know technology could be. No camera vendor is.

The Pentax contrast AF can lock at almost arbitrary positions in very low light. Just be careful and look what it does. Tge fact that it zooms while working helps. The green assist light can be enough for contrast AF to work reliably, depending on distance and lens aperture.

And don't compare with an iPhone4. It's an effective f/22 fixed aperture and it just has to decide wether to go on hyperfocal distance or not.
12-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I haven't had a lot of time to play with my new K5 yet, but I did slap a 12-24 DA lens on and try a few shots in low light. It is far superior to my K20D. Time to focus was very quick with no hunting or lock up.

12-03-2010, 10:50 AM   #24

Original Poster
Still having issues

after shooting more low light with the K-5 and the 50mm 1.4, I am still getting OOF shots. Maybe 20% in focus. The camera locks on quickly, and usually with confidence, but the shots are either front or back focussed. IN normal light it still works great, no front or back focus, but in low light I am still having issues. I am going to rule out as many variables as I can.

My settings were usually at F2.0 ( with a 1.4 lens ).. AF was set to single. Aperture priority, iso around 1/6400.
12-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by designinme_1976 Quote
after shooting more low light with the K-5 and the 50mm 1.4, I am still getting OOF shots. Maybe 20% in focus. The camera locks on quickly, and usually with confidence, but the shots are either front or back focussed. IN normal light it still works great, no front or back focus, but in low light I am still having issues. I am going to rule out as many variables as I can.

My settings were usually at F2.0 ( with a 1.4 lens ).. AF was set to single. Aperture priority, iso around 1/6400.
LV (contrast AF) or phase AF? AF helper light on or off?
12-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #26

Original Poster
Hey Falk,
This is using Phase AF with AF assist ON.
12-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by designinme_1976 Quote
I am curious if any of the new K-5 users can comment on low light AF with a fast lens wide open ( say 1.4/1.8 ) in bad lighting conditions.

I am trying to get an idea on the AF accuracy/speed when lighting is poor, and the user wants to push the ISO up to say 6,400 and must use the glass wide open.

Anyone care to share their experience? Is the AF accurate enough to focus wide open in low light conditions and nail focus, say on the subjects eye without front/back fous? Does the AF hesitate much?

I am curious, when I had a K20D, I found the AF with my 70mm DA would hesitate a lot in low light, and usually failed to lock focus, usually around 1600 ISO with 1/100 speed, wide open.

Any input would be great. Thanks

I think you may find these useful to your query:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/124236-k-5-continuous-au...low-light.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/118553-k5-auto-focus-tests.html

Pentax K-5 Review | PentaxForums.com for LV

Pentax K-5 Review | PentaxForums.com for accuracy

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/121434-k-5s-improved-live-view.html

and I know I am missing some more threads on that very subject.

A search on this forum, using the dedicated search (Pentax Forums) and/or a more global search (Google within this Forum) would have provided you with all of the answers you are looking for.

JP

Do we really need to start a new thread each time someone has a question regarding the K5 AF under low light conditions? Is there any way we can regroup all in one single thread?