Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Very nice image PiotrKrochmal!

11-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #137
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
That is a nice pic. The more i see the people posting here the more i want one.....
Hmmmmmmm.
Is it time?
11-14-2010, 02:22 AM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
=============================

Thanks.

His 5D Flickr shots are quite impressive also.
If I thought laying down my $1500 for a K-5 would make me as good a photographer as Feudal1, I wouldn't hesitate.
11-14-2010, 04:20 AM   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
If I thought laying down my $1500 for a K-5 would make me as good a photographer as Feudal1, I wouldn't hesitate.
============================

I've snapped a few keepers myself over the past forty years.

The K-5 has already dropped $115 from the original price two weeks ago. They still want $230 for that 18~55 WR kit lens.

It is not a hard sell to Pentaxians, but may not be for people looking to buy from the open market options.

At any rate, the K-5 is a big hit among Pentaxians, and that is what is important.

Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera Body (Black) 14748 B&H Photo Video

A veteran Pentaxian says this:
"Having owned the K100D, K20D, K-x, and K-7 before picking this one up, I feel pretty well-versed in the history of Pentax dSLRs--I'm quite comfortable in saying that the K-5 is easily the best dSLR Pentax has ever produced."
PENTAX K-5

Last edited by Rite; 11-14-2010 at 04:38 AM.
11-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #140
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I think anyone can become a good photographer. It's all about experimentation and practice. Don't be afraid to experiment and fail - you'll often learn more from your failures than from your successes. Practice shooting in manual mode, as it gives you full control over the camera, and makes you the final decision maker over how it meters a scene. Lighting is also critical - if you're outdoors shooting landscapes/cityscapes/scenery, early morning and late evening give you nicer light to shoot in. When looking at a subject or scene that you want to shoot, think about the image you want to capture before taking the shot. Be creative, and approach subjects from a different angle and use different framing.

A good example of this is when taking a shot of a building - many people will frame the shot to capture the entire building in the shot, and move on. There's nothing wrong with that, but try looking at the building in different ways. Look for interesting architectural features, and try shooting those instead. Or, get in close and capture only a part of the building. If you can, come back in the evening or early morning. Basically just experiment.

Scott Kelby has written three small books in a series titled "The Digital Photography Book", which talks a lot about these types of things. It's focused more on Canon and Nikon, but the subjects he discusses are applicable to any modern SLR.

---------- Post added 11-14-10 at 10:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PiotrKrochmal Quote
From today
Air full of smoke (burning leaves with turbo mode )
Pentax K-5 + Tamron 17-50 f2.8 + Hoya UV Filter
Photo taken at:

17 mm
ISO 80
f/11
1/1250sec
EV -2
DNG in LR 3.2
I have made bracketing -4 -2 0 +2 +4 and I choose -2EV to work on, 0 and above was over exposed and have chromatic aberration issue.
Photo also ad Deviant Art:
Beautiful shot!! I think we're going to see a lot of great images coming from photographers here as we all learn more about the K-5!!

---------- Post added 11-14-10 at 10:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
=============================

Every time I am about to push the button on buying a 7D, I refer back to this thread. Did you consider the 7D before you got the K-5?
I did, and actually rented one shortly after they released. The 7D is a fine camera, but it just didn't "grab me" for some reason. Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the newest bodies like the K-5, D7000 or 7D - they're all very good. However, there are a lot of little touches in the K-5 that make it a more inspired choice. The other big factor for me is the availability of the 16-50mm and 50-135mm f/2.8 lenses - they're small and inexpensive compared to Nikon/Canon equivalents, and very good. "Small" is good when it comes to being mobile and having your camera with you all day!
11-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #141

QuoteOriginally posted by Feudal1 Quote
The foreground in the last shot is intentionally dark, by my own choice, for testing of noise and low-light performance. The sun was also about to completely drop below the horizon, so it was pretty dark already.

The 50-135mm f/2.8 was used for all but the last shot. For that one, I used the 16-50mm f/2.8.
You should try the primes, this one more reason to get on with Pentax.

As you have the 5D, you don't mention the smaller viewfinder, so it seems you haven't been disturbed by a smaller composition frame!
How would you compare both ? This is a big concern to me.

Michel
11-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #142
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i hate to be the "voice of reason" here, but if you like those two pentax lenses so much, for nikon and canon (we were talking 7d, so "aps-c"), you can get the tokina versions, which are half the price (...) of the pentaxes, and only notable miss is the weather sealing. still, it seems the k-5 is a much nicer camera than the 7d, especially for landscape... (and weather sealing is imho essential for landscape work, i personally wouldn't be without it now)

feudal: thank you for the inspiring photos, keep posting please, and welcome