Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #76

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Pentax K5 w/ 16-45mm f/4

taken at f/9 30 second exposure at iso 80....I love this camera!

11-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #77
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kozway Quote

Pentax K5 w/ 16-45mm f/4

taken at f/9 30 second exposure at iso 80....I love this camera!
I don't see an image...
11-07-2010, 01:04 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So clean!
11-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #79
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
==============================

How well does the K5 (integrated) flash work?
I would say it works very well!!

I didn't bring my external flash unit with me last night, so there were a couple of situations where I wanted some fill light. This shot, for example:

I was shooting him from the side, but there was a light source on the other side of him that was causing the left side of his face to be in shadow. So, I activated the pop-up flash, and dialed in -2.0 flash compensation, so that the light wouldn't be so harsh. I think it turned out pretty well. The full EXIF data is attached to the photo, but in summary: 50-135mm @135mm, 1/160 second, f/2.8, ISO 3200.

Just for fun, and mostly because I really like how this one turned out, here's another shot. No flash, but this was shot at ISO 6400 (same lens, f/2.8, 135mm, 1/200):

As crazy as this probably sounds, I don't think I could get better results from my 5D Mark II, and if anything, the results might be worse because I usually have to mess around with color more with the 5D shots. This K-5 is a fantastic camera!! I'm blown away by what it is capable of.

11-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, I am impressed.... makes me wanting the K-5 sooner than I plan to.

Also, thanks for sharing your experience with us on the K-5.
11-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by Feudal1 Quote

As crazy as this probably sounds, I don't think I could get better results from my 5D Mark II, and if anything, the results might be worse because I usually have to mess around with color more with the 5D shots. This K-5 is a fantastic camera!! I'm blown away by what it is capable of.
Although I will have my K-5 next month, I do not buy what you are saying here, I have had no problems with my 5D II in very low light and the colors I never need to adjust, heck I shoot in RAW and still never touch my colors because they look great, have a look at some of the big pros like Yervont and Jerry Ghionis using the 5D II in pretty much dark places, pretty amazing.
11-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #82
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanWarrior Quote
Although I will have my K-5 next month, I do not buy what you are saying here, I have had no problems with my 5D II in very low light and the colors I never need to adjust, heck I shoot in RAW and still never touch my colors because they look great, have a look at some of the big pros like Yervont and Jerry Ghionis using the 5D II in pretty much dark places, pretty amazing.
I don't want to question your experiences, but please tell me if the 5D II can do ISO 6400 without any banding. Or if I can underexpose 5D II shots by many stops, and the end result won't have any banding if I increase the exposure in the RAW converter.

Because from any camera I have seen so far, the banding is one of the tell-tale signs that the sensor does not cope well in those circumstances.

11-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #83

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I don't want to question your experiences, but please tell me if the 5D II can do ISO 6400 without any banding. Or if I can underexpose 5D II shots by many stops, and the end result won't have any banding if I increase the exposure in the RAW converter.

Because from any camera I have seen so far, the banding is one of the tell-tale signs that the sensor does not cope well in those circumstances.
Just tell me what you want me to do and I will post in this thread later with pictures,, if the OP doesn't mind
11-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Just tell me what you want me to do and I will post in this thread later with pictures,, if the OP doesn't mind
Thanks! I don't need anything fancy; just a normally exposed ISO 6400 shot in a dimly (!) lit indoor situation, and a 4-stop underexposed one with the exposure corrected in PP (the RAW converter).

Maybe you'll see something like this:

Fact is: I have yet to see any banding from the K-5. And my K-7 did not fare well in this regard
11-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Thanks! I don't need anything fancy; just a normally exposed ISO 6400 shot in a dimly (!) lit indoor situation, and a 4-stop underexposed one with the exposure corrected in PP (the RAW converter).

Maybe you'll see something like this:

Fact is: I have yet to see any banding from the K-5. And my K-7 did not fare well in this regard
Ok I will post later.
11-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All I can say is that all these shots are delightful. You are NOT helping my CBA - and I can't possibly afford this camera. Sigh!
11-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #87

Ok here are the images, now I have never done this under expose 4 stop and maybe I did it right you can download them here
Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
also here is one i just did with my 5D II and 7D and the difference is big, just crops though ISO 6400.
5D II

7D
11-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #88
Forum Member

Original Poster
A couple more shots I took today. These were tricky because the sun was in front of me, and there was overcast moving in. So I had to do a little bit of dodge and burn in Photoshop to even thing out a bit. In the RAW files, there is a definitely a good bit of headroom for pulling details out of shadows and highlights. I'm impressed by the dynamic range that seems to be present. I definitely need to get out in the early morning or late evening to get some more impressive lighting.

BTW, the photos are level - the hills/mountains in the distance are as they should be in these shots.

11-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #89

Ok here are the images, now I have never done this under expose 4 stop and maybe I did it right you can download them here

also here is one i just did with my 5D II and 7D and the difference is big, just crops though ISO 6400.
5D II

7D
yes, your 5DII looks good, the trick is that not all bodies or sensors on the same model perform the same.

Some may call it faulty but if banding is only visible in some unlikely situations, like high ISO which has to be boosted 4 stops to see - such issues are just extremes... but as your sample shows - not all bodies have it, and most owners with "faulty" sensors will never get to know it as it is almost irellevant.

Similar situation was with K10D's just quite a bit worse as banding was visible at ISO 400 boosted on many cameras, while many other quiet users (with good implementation in camera) had no issues and are still showing great shots and usable ISO1600, while the others showed why they cannot shoot above 400, and from what I have seen they are both correct. One cannot rule out same model variation.

Sure some models are more prone to it, while others less, K10D was a notorious example, 5DII may be another one, but from what I have seen this is really a minority, and if anyone is buying it and aware of the problem, would do best to go in store and do a quick test... as I do not think that the manufacturers will deem this a defect worthy of warranty repair (dependable how bad it is I guess, but all that I have seen with 5DII is not really "serious" ) ...

In any case, your camera is clearly better than the example posted earlier (unless the banding is on the blue channel )...

and to make this at least a bit relevant to the OP and Pentax... it appears so far that there are thankfully no such variations mentioned yet for K-5, and for OP - superb images, great to see K-5 perform so well in your hands
11-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #90
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zubati Kit Quote
yes, your 5DII looks good, the trick is that not all bodies or sensors on the same model perform the same.

Some may call it faulty but if banding is only visible in some unlikely situations, like high ISO which has to be boosted 4 stops to see - such issues are just extremes... but as your sample shows - not all bodies have it, and most owners with "faulty" sensors will never get to know it as it is almost irellevant.

Similar situation was with K10D's just quite a bit worse as banding was visible at ISO 400 boosted on many cameras, while many other quiet users (with good implementation in camera) had no issues and are still showing great shots and usable ISO1600, while the others showed why they cannot shoot above 400, and from what I have seen they are both correct. One cannot rule out same model variation.

Sure some models are more prone to it, while others less, K10D was a notorious example, 5DII may be another one, but from what I have seen this is really a minority, and if anyone is buying it and aware of the problem, would do best to go in store and do a quick test... as I do not think that the manufacturers will deem this a defect worthy of warranty repair (dependable how bad it is I guess, but all that I have seen with 5DII is not really "serious" ) ...

In any case, your camera is clearly better than the example posted earlier (unless the banding is on the blue channel )...

and to make this at least a bit relevant to the OP and Pentax... it appears so far that there are thankfully no such variations mentioned yet for K-5, and for OP - superb images, great to see K-5 perform so well in your hands
Unfortunately, we sometimes seem too intent on searching for faults in our gear, instead of just going out and taking photos. Obviously, it's important to know that our camera is working properly, but sometimes that can become an unhealthy obsession. I used to pixel peep, and get stressed about perceived problems, whether they were real or not. I finally got past that, and as a result, enjoyed my using my cameras a lot more. Worrying about hypothetical situations that will never occur is a fruitless endeavor.