Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #91
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 337
QuoteOriginally posted by Feudal1 Quote
I would say it works very well!!

I didn't bring my external flash unit with me last night, so there were a couple of situations where I wanted some fill light. This shot, for example:



I was shooting him from the side, but there was a light source on the other side of him that was causing the left side of his face to be in shadow. So, I activated the pop-up flash, and dialed in -2.0 flash compensation, so that the light wouldn't be so harsh. I think it turned out pretty well.
================================

Thank you for your effort. You answered my question.

A pic is worth a thousand words.

11-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #92
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lithuania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 490
QuoteOriginally posted by Feudal1 Quote
I would say it works very well!!

I didn't bring my external flash unit with me last night, so there were a couple of situations where I wanted some fill light. This shot, for example:



I was shooting him from the side, but there was a light source on the other side of him that was causing the left side of his face to be in shadow. So, I activated the pop-up flash, and dialed in -2.0 flash compensation, so that the light wouldn't be so harsh. I think it turned out pretty well. The full EXIF data is attached to the photo, but in summary: 50-135mm @135mm, 1/160 second, f/2.8, ISO 3200.

Just for fun, and mostly because I really like how this one turned out, here's another shot. No flash, but this was shot at ISO 6400 (same lens, f/2.8, 135mm, 1/200):



As crazy as this probably sounds, I don't think I could get better results from my 5D Mark II, and if anything, the results might be worse because I usually have to mess around with color more with the 5D shots. This K-5 is a fantastic camera!! I'm blown away by what it is capable of.
thanks for sharing.. it's so cool to see such fine 6400 ISO pictures..
11-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #93
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,496
QuoteOriginally posted by Feudal1 Quote
A couple more shots I took today. These were tricky because the sun was in front of me, and there was overcast moving in. So I had to do a little bit of dodge and burn in Photoshop to even thing out a bit. In the RAW files, there is a definitely a good bit of headroom for pulling details out of shadows and highlights. I'm impressed by the dynamic range that seems to be present. I definitely need to get out in the early morning or late evening to get some more impressive lighting.
Great!
Very natural looking
11-07-2010, 06:29 PM   #94
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sofia,Bulgaria.
Posts: 56
Feudal1:Кадрите,които даваш много ме радват!
Скоро аз трябва да продам стария ми К-20 и да купя ново тяло и баттери грип.
Само за бързината и точността на Аф не съм сигурен,дали са добри в сравнение с Д-7000,когото пробвах и има много бърз и точен АФ.
Какво можете да кажете за сравнение на АФ на К-5?
Благодаря предварително!


11-08-2010, 01:14 AM   #95
Pentaxian
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,753
QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanWarrior Quote
Ok here are the images, now I have never done this under expose 4 stop and maybe I did it right you can download them here
Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
also here is one i just did with my 5D II and 7D and the difference is big, just crops though ISO 6400.
Thanks for the samples and your efforts! In these there's indeed no banding to be seen. But there are no large dark parts in your shots, so if there's any banding (in the blue channel, as one of the previous posters already mentioned) then it would be hard to see. But it's definitely "good" noise we are seeing there.
11-08-2010, 04:30 AM   #96
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lithuania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 35
QuoteOriginally posted by Feudal1 Quote
A couple more shots I took today. These were tricky because the sun was in front of me, and there was overcast moving in. So I had to do a little bit of dodge and burn in Photoshop to even thing out a bit. In the RAW files, there is a definitely a good bit of headroom for pulling details out of shadows and highlights. I'm impressed by the dynamic range that seems to be present. I definitely need to get out in the early morning or late evening to get some more impressive lighting.

BTW, the photos are level - the hills/mountains in the distance are as they should be in these shots.


Nice pics, it looks kind of HDR'ish, but I suppose that You did not use it in this case?
11-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #97
Forum Member
Feudal1's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 54
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Martynas Quote
Nice pics, it looks kind of HDR'ish, but I suppose that You did not use it in this case?
No HDR - just some dodge and burn to fix the foreground, which was extremely dark because of the sun being in front of the scene, not behind.
11-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #98
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,862
QuoteOriginally posted by Feudal1 Quote
No HDR - just some dodge and burn to fix the foreground, which was extremely dark because of the sun being in front of the scene, not behind.
Dodge and burn in PS, or applying fill light in LR, are two of many HDR techniques. HDR only means high dynamic range and every K-5 low iso image possibly has that.

The noise is not stopping us anymore from pushing normal images into the unreal realm of Photomatix results. Your photos are just beautiful however

11-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #99
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 346
I'm a bit late to this thread, but it's timely. I've actually been considering switching back to Canon or Nikon because I've been disappointed with the AF speed with my K-x (and the K10D, previously).

I was very pleased to hear you say that the K-5 outperforms the 5D II in terms of AF. I used to own a 5D I, and it focused much faster than my K-x does. I can only imagine that the 5D II focuses faster than the 5D I, and if the K-5 is better than the 5D II then it's more than fast enough for me.
11-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #100
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sofia,Bulgaria.
Posts: 56
Дано да е така,но дали наистина е добър АФ?
11-09-2010, 07:39 AM   #101
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
I'm a bit late to this thread, but it's timely. I've actually been considering switching back to Canon or Nikon because I've been disappointed with the AF speed with my K-x (and the K10D, previously).

I was very pleased to hear you say that the K-5 outperforms the 5D II in terms of AF. I used to own a 5D I, and it focused much faster than my K-x does. I can only imagine that the 5D II focuses faster than the 5D I, and if the K-5 is better than the 5D II then it's more than fast enough for me.
Actually, from what I've heard from Canon owners the Canon 5D and 5D II have essentially the same AF. If Canon puts the AF from the 7D into the Canon 5D III and refines the sensor a little that should be quite a camera.
11-10-2010, 02:46 AM   #102
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8
QuoteOriginally posted by Feudal1 Quote
Unfortunately, we sometimes seem too intent on searching for faults in our gear, instead of just going out and taking photos. Obviously, it's important to know that our camera is working properly, but sometimes that can become an unhealthy obsession. I used to pixel peep, and get stressed about perceived problems, whether they were real or not. I finally got past that, and as a result, enjoyed my using my cameras a lot more. Worrying about hypothetical situations that will never occur is a fruitless endeavor.
word Feudal, that's more like it imo
I've seen/read/heard so many "spec photographers" as the rookie I am. At first I appreciated it to get the know, but wow some of those speccers or pixel peepers really (nearly) killed my inspiration, hunted people "there's always something better out there..." defensive, low joy

My K-x often brings me images as I remember the moments, light, colour, depth then it's up to me to create the right feeling and composition. The K-5 looks promising in my ambition to bring me those photo books of mine.

Exhibition "black river" by Kjell Engman (K-x 35/2.8 ltd macro)
Attached Images
 
11-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #103
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
And it's in da house, the wonderful K-5. First impressions are simply fenomenal next to my K-7.

Picture number ONE is from PEF set to jpg in camera and a portrait from the man of FotoLooman, camera store In Purmerend in The Netherlands that made this great deal possible to buy the K-5 for 1065 euro (grooppurchase).
11-10-2010, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #104
Senior Member
patriotap's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Jersey
Photos: Albums
Posts: 159
uh yeah, some things just dont need to be tack sharp
11-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #105
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 923
QuoteOriginally posted by patriotap Quote
uh yeah, some things just dont need to be tack sharp
Yeah....not sure I'd like every wrinkle and every flaw on my face showing up at 16 MPixels.......anyway the K-5 + good Pentax glass is simply phenomenal...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
5d, camera, canon, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, lenses, mark, pentax, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-7 iso 3200 images: No NR, yet the faces look plastic. (11 images) pcarfan Pentax DSLR Discussion 43 08-31-2010 08:13 AM
New K-x owner impressions and sample images rawr Pentax DSLR Discussion 124 04-08-2010 04:24 AM
A variety of images with FA* 200/4 Macro (no bugs) - VLF competition images Marc Langille Post Your Photos! 28 08-22-2008 07:28 PM
Tamron 28-75mm today! Test images and impressions inside cputeq Post Your Photos! 8 06-05-2008 08:54 PM
High ISO concert images with Tam 28-300 (Images) jsundin Post Your Photos! 2 07-05-2007 08:19 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:11 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top