Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Feudal1 Quote
IThe K-5 performed quite well. The autofocus was hesitant to lock at times, but given the challenging lighting, that's not really a surprise.
Be aware that the DA* 55 is not known for its snappy focusing, rather the opposite. Great optical quality, lousy (OK, subpar) focusing.

11-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #122
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
You don't have to press the shutter button for each shot, but you do have to press and hold it to take all 3 (or 5) on the K10D.

As for size, I prefer the wider body on the K10D, height isn't so much an issue and that's all you get with the grip. In fact, I prefer the K10D without the grip.
Yes, you can hold down the button, but if I've got the camera on a tripod and I'm doing bracketed exposures, there is usually a 30 second exposure in there, along with the shorter ones. Holding down the button provides too much opportunity for introducing camera shake in the longer exposures. So, I used the remote to trigger each exposure. But it's a hassle to keep track of how many exposures I've made so that I don't accidentally start a new series of five by mistake (I'd often be doing this on a very cold morning and my mind was often distracted by my cold fingers). I absolutely love the the K-7 just does the right thing and shoots all five (or all three).

I also love that the K-7 (and presumably the K-5) is smarter in bulb mode. If you used the remote in bulb mode on the K10D, you'd have to keep the remote pointed at the camera and the button held down the entire time you wanted to keep the shutter open. If you let go, or your hand dropped too much, the exposure would end. I couldn't understand why they didn't design it so that one press of the remote would open the shutter and the second press would close it. Well, this too is an option on the K-7. Both of these are features they could add to the K10D with just a firmware update. Both of these are just software. It's really frustrating that they haven't provided this simple fixes for those of us with the K10D. It isn't as if it would be a complicated new interface -- just a slight behavioral change.

The RAW button on the K10D was also implemented foolishly. They fixed it for the K20D and future cameras, but again, this would be a simple firmware fix for the K10D and Pentax has never made it available. I wish there was an open source firmware for the camera, so that someone could fix it, but it'll never happen. It's no longer a big deal for me, since I have the K-7 now, but the K10D is still an excellent camera, and it's a real shame Pentax doesn't care enough about the people who purchased it to backport some of these simple, but helpful, fixes. (and yes, I do call them fixes. All of these behaviors on the K10D were foolish and poorly thought out. The changes made to future cameras show that they recognized they weren't doing it right.) Some things can't be fixed after the fact without great expense and physically replacing components -- this fixes can be applied in minutes, by just upgrading the firmware.
11-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So with the custom RAW button set to bracketing mode, can you press and hold it while using the front and rear e-dials to adjust the number of shots as well as exposure range like on the K10/K20D?
11-11-2010, 11:21 PM   #124

QuoteOriginally posted by patriotap Quote
uh yeah, some things just dont need to be tack sharp
Lol! exactly my thoughts! Rep added.

11-12-2010, 05:27 AM   #125
Pentaxian

ISO 10.000. Converted from RAW in ACR, and resized for web, but not sharpened and no noise removed. Please note the detail that is still visible.

(Yes, it's a bad shot, but my first ones with a new camera are never any good).

11-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #126
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
ISO 10.000. Converted from RAW in ACR, and resized for web, but not sharpened and no noise removed. Please note the detail that is still visible.

(Yes, it's a bad shot, but my first ones with a new camera are never any good).
Congrats on the new camera!

---------- Post added 11-12-10 at 08:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Be aware that the DA* 55 is not known for its snappy focusing, rather the opposite. Great optical quality, lousy (OK, subpar) focusing.

Yeah, the focus isn't fast, but the image quality is sweet!
11-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #127

I took the K-5 with me to the First Saturday event in Frederick, MD tonight. It was a bit cold out, but still a lot of fun, and a pretty big crowd. It gave me a chance to use the K-5 in a very low-light situation (pretty dark, lit mostly by street lights).

This first one was take in one of the shops, were the light was a little better. Shot with the DA 55mm f/1.4, at ISO 800:

This next one was taken outside in fairly poor lighting at ISO 6400. The band was playing under a tent, with a couple of weak lights providing illumination. There were Christmas lights behind the tent, which provides some nice bokeh:

And finally, another shot at ISO 6400:

The K-5 performed quite well. The autofocus was hesitant to lock at times, but given the challenging lighting, that's not really a surprise. For the conditions I was shooting in, it did pretty well. And the small size of the camera and lenses is a really nice bonus when walking around for as long as I did. Weight was never an issue.
Wow, those look really good, for ISO 6400, Thanks for sharing them. I'm new here and thinking about getting this camera. Do the raw files hold up to tweeking well?

11-13-2010, 07:41 AM   #128
Veteran Member

I received my K-5 today, along with the 16-50mm f/2.8 and 50-135mm f/2.8. First, a couple of impressions from a Canon shooter (5D Mark II):
=============================

Every time I am about to push the button on buying a 7D, I refer back to this thread. Did you consider the 7D before you got the K-5?
11-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #129
Veteran Member

Based on what I've seen of K-7 images, that camera is capable of some pretty great images! It's kind of unfair to compare the K-5 (or K-7) to the 5D Mark II, consider the latter is full frame and currently $600-$700 more in cost (and in the case of the K-7, that difference increases significantly). Even with those advantages, the K-5 compares quite favorably in a number of areas. And when you do compare apples to apples, and put the K-5 up against the Canon 7D (which is not a full-frame), the K-5 does even better.
I think the K-5 is extremely impressive for an APS format camera. I shot a Canon 7D for a weekend shortly after it came out, and was pretty disappointed with the camera in general. The K-5 is a real nice surprise.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote

Every time I am about to push the button on buying a 7D, I refer back to this thread. Did you consider the 7D before you got the K-5?
I think he's answered that. There's more in this post; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1249996-post46.html

According to DXOMark, the K-5 handily beats the 7D with better colour depth, more than 1/2 stop high ISO performance and 2.4 extra stops of DR. Pentax murders Canon for out of the camera white balance and colour rendition IMO. If your main interest is birds in flight, get the 7D for its (still) better AF and suitable lenses. For general photography K-5 wins, hands down.
11-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I think he's answered that. There's more in this post; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1249996-post46.html

Thanks.

His 5D Flickr shots are quite impressive also.

Last edited by Rite; 11-13-2010 at 09:39 AM.
11-13-2010, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #131

From today
Air full of smoke (burning leaves with turbo mode )
Pentax K-5 + Tamron 17-50 f2.8 + Hoya UV Filter
Photo taken at:

17 mm
ISO 80
f/11
1/1250sec
EV -2
DNG in LR 3.2
I have made bracketing -4 -2 0 +2 +4 and I choose -2EV to work on, 0 and above was over exposed and have chromatic aberration issue.
Photo also ad Deviant Art:

11-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #132
raz

Very nice, looks like an image from Stalker, the movie or game
11-13-2010, 09:20 PM   #133

Finally got out to use my K5 today, went to the Zoo. I had my da* 50-135 on it, but thought it might not be long enough for some shots. So i put my painfully slow AF (at least on my k20d it was) da 55-300 on.

Well I could not believe it! It is a 100% improvement in AF speed, so much so Im not sure my da* is any faster or at least noticeable. Couldnt believe it, really thought about getting rid of it because it was so slow, but now Im keeping it!

Definitely worth the upgrade from the k20d. This pic is a crop, and using the 80 ISO at 300mm at f5.8. I also shot in jpeg.

11-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #134
Inactive Account

I am not sure, does the k-7 battery grip fit the k-5 also?
11-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
I am not sure, does the k-7 battery grip fit the k-5 also?
Yes; it does.