Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Feudal1 Quote
I would say it works very well!!

I didn't bring my external flash unit with me last night, so there were a couple of situations where I wanted some fill light. This shot, for example:

I was shooting him from the side, but there was a light source on the other side of him that was causing the left side of his face to be in shadow. So, I activated the pop-up flash, and dialed in -2.0 flash compensation, so that the light wouldn't be so harsh. I think it turned out pretty well.
================================

Thank you for your effort. You answered my question.

A pic is worth a thousand words.

11-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would say it works very well!!

I didn't bring my external flash unit with me last night, so there were a couple of situations where I wanted some fill light. This shot, for example:

I was shooting him from the side, but there was a light source on the other side of him that was causing the left side of his face to be in shadow. So, I activated the pop-up flash, and dialed in -2.0 flash compensation, so that the light wouldn't be so harsh. I think it turned out pretty well. The full EXIF data is attached to the photo, but in summary: 50-135mm @135mm, 1/160 second, f/2.8, ISO 3200.

Just for fun, and mostly because I really like how this one turned out, here's another shot. No flash, but this was shot at ISO 6400 (same lens, f/2.8, 135mm, 1/200):

As crazy as this probably sounds, I don't think I could get better results from my 5D Mark II, and if anything, the results might be worse because I usually have to mess around with color more with the 5D shots. This K-5 is a fantastic camera!! I'm blown away by what it is capable of.
thanks for sharing.. it's so cool to see such fine 6400 ISO pictures..
11-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #93
Veteran Member

A couple more shots I took today. These were tricky because the sun was in front of me, and there was overcast moving in. So I had to do a little bit of dodge and burn in Photoshop to even thing out a bit. In the RAW files, there is a definitely a good bit of headroom for pulling details out of shadows and highlights. I'm impressed by the dynamic range that seems to be present. I definitely need to get out in the early morning or late evening to get some more impressive lighting.
Great!
Very natural looking
11-07-2010, 06:29 PM   #94
Forum Member

Feudal1:Кадрите,които даваш много ме радват!
Скоро аз трябва да продам стария ми К-20 и да купя ново тяло и баттери грип.
Само за бързината и точността на Аф не съм сигурен,дали са добри в сравнение с Д-7000,когото пробвах и има много бърз и точен АФ.
Какво можете да кажете за сравнение на АФ на К-5?
Благодаря предварително!

11-08-2010, 01:14 AM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanWarrior Quote
Ok here are the images, now I have never done this under expose 4 stop and maybe I did it right you can download them here
Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
also here is one i just did with my 5D II and 7D and the difference is big, just crops though ISO 6400.
Thanks for the samples and your efforts! In these there's indeed no banding to be seen. But there are no large dark parts in your shots, so if there's any banding (in the blue channel, as one of the previous posters already mentioned) then it would be hard to see. But it's definitely "good" noise we are seeing there.
11-08-2010, 04:30 AM   #96

A couple more shots I took today. These were tricky because the sun was in front of me, and there was overcast moving in. So I had to do a little bit of dodge and burn in Photoshop to even thing out a bit. In the RAW files, there is a definitely a good bit of headroom for pulling details out of shadows and highlights. I'm impressed by the dynamic range that seems to be present. I definitely need to get out in the early morning or late evening to get some more impressive lighting.

BTW, the photos are level - the hills/mountains in the distance are as they should be in these shots.

Nice pics, it looks kind of HDR'ish, but I suppose that You did not use it in this case?
11-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #97
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Martynas Quote
Nice pics, it looks kind of HDR'ish, but I suppose that You did not use it in this case?
No HDR - just some dodge and burn to fix the foreground, which was extremely dark because of the sun being in front of the scene, not behind.

11-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #98
Veteran Member

No HDR - just some dodge and burn to fix the foreground, which was extremely dark because of the sun being in front of the scene, not behind.
Dodge and burn in PS, or applying fill light in LR, are two of many HDR techniques. HDR only means high dynamic range and every K-5 low iso image possibly has that.

The noise is not stopping us anymore from pushing normal images into the unreal realm of Photomatix results. Your photos are just beautiful however
11-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #99
Veteran Member

I'm a bit late to this thread, but it's timely. I've actually been considering switching back to Canon or Nikon because I've been disappointed with the AF speed with my K-x (and the K10D, previously).

I was very pleased to hear you say that the K-5 outperforms the 5D II in terms of AF. I used to own a 5D I, and it focused much faster than my K-x does. I can only imagine that the 5D II focuses faster than the 5D I, and if the K-5 is better than the 5D II then it's more than fast enough for me.
11-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #100
Forum Member

Дано да е така,но дали наистина е добър АФ?
11-09-2010, 07:39 AM   #101
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
I'm a bit late to this thread, but it's timely. I've actually been considering switching back to Canon or Nikon because I've been disappointed with the AF speed with my K-x (and the K10D, previously).

I was very pleased to hear you say that the K-5 outperforms the 5D II in terms of AF. I used to own a 5D I, and it focused much faster than my K-x does. I can only imagine that the 5D II focuses faster than the 5D I, and if the K-5 is better than the 5D II then it's more than fast enough for me.
Actually, from what I've heard from Canon owners the Canon 5D and 5D II have essentially the same AF. If Canon puts the AF from the 7D into the Canon 5D III and refines the sensor a little that should be quite a camera.
11-10-2010, 02:46 AM   #102
Inactive Account

Unfortunately, we sometimes seem too intent on searching for faults in our gear, instead of just going out and taking photos. Obviously, it's important to know that our camera is working properly, but sometimes that can become an unhealthy obsession. I used to pixel peep, and get stressed about perceived problems, whether they were real or not. I finally got past that, and as a result, enjoyed my using my cameras a lot more. Worrying about hypothetical situations that will never occur is a fruitless endeavor.
word Feudal, that's more like it imo
I've seen/read/heard so many "spec photographers" as the rookie I am. At first I appreciated it to get the know, but wow some of those speccers or pixel peepers really (nearly) killed my inspiration, hunted people "there's always something better out there..." defensive, low joy

My K-x often brings me images as I remember the moments, light, colour, depth then it's up to me to create the right feeling and composition. The K-5 looks promising in my ambition to bring me those photo books of mine.

Exhibition "black river" by Kjell Engman (K-x 35/2.8 ltd macro)
Attached Images

11-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #103
Banned

And it's in da house, the wonderful K-5. First impressions are simply fenomenal next to my K-7.

Picture number ONE is from PEF set to jpg in camera and a portrait from the man of FotoLooman, camera store In Purmerend in The Netherlands that made this great deal possible to buy the K-5 for 1065 euro (grooppurchase).
11-10-2010, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #104

uh yeah, some things just dont need to be tack sharp
11-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patriotap Quote
uh yeah, some things just dont need to be tack sharp
Yeah....not sure I'd like every wrinkle and every flaw on my face showing up at 16 MPixels.......anyway the K-5 + good Pentax glass is simply phenomenal...