Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #16
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 251
QuoteOriginally posted by dtra Quote
Ha, maybe I should get them to import a few and charge a bit
It's sounding tempting from my end, i must say!

11-04-2010, 06:19 PM   #17
Pentaxian
Transit's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Whanganui NZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,880
I was contemplating a K-5 from Oz as NZ is pentax ghetto...but Singapore looks like it would save another $5-$600...good grief.
Having just got 55-300 from Hongkong in a week from order, I'm feeling more kindly towards imports
Pete
11-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #18
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 488
I called mjay yesterday. They do not have the cameras in stock. I asked what the price would be and he did not know. Or would not tell me. He said call back end of next week.
Hopping they don't jack up the price. I really want one. Singapore is just right for me.
11-05-2010, 01:51 AM   #19
Senior Member
openyourap's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canberra - you get used to it.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 164
QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
Anyone have any ideas about getting the k-5 into Thailand. The taxes here are wayyyyy overboard now.
I would love to order one from Singapore. Does anyone know how to get around the taxes???
The taxes in Thailand? Leave the Country

You can reclaim the VAT at the airport if you bought the camera in the last month. Some sellers will have the VAT forms on hand, so you've got them pre-filled when you hit the terminal.

Well worth the cost of an Air Asia ticket for a weekend getaway.

11-07-2010, 06:38 AM   #20
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ireland's wild west
Posts: 555
Emjay works out to be under $1400 including delivery (but not customs fees/GST)
Bad news is they won't have stock until 15th Nov, and probably another 4-5days delivery.

Last edited by bonovox; 11-09-2010 at 09:31 PM.
11-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #21
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: HK
Posts: 171
I will go to Singapore this Friday. Where can I find pentax k5? any procedure to deduct the tax? Thx
11-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #22
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Taipei
Posts: 1
hello, i will go to s'pore during Nov17-Nov23, I want get two pentax k-5 body, and DA 18-135 new lens, can anyone know the owner of the camera shop which offer a cheaper price?? please inform me, e mail: nothing_99@hotmail.com
11-12-2010, 12:21 AM   #23
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 488
I have been calling emjay since this thread started. Wanting one shipped to me in Thailand. And as yesterday they keep telling me the price is not set and they do not have any stock. Hummmm.
I give up on them altogeather.

02-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #24
Site Supporter
kiwi_jono's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,038
This is an old thread now but still relevant to those like me in NZ. Grumble alert ahead....

Would like to support NZ distributors but unfortunately prices for Pentax here are just so jacked up (expect to pay nearly double of USA) that buying here is just not an option for me. This is a real gripe - if it was say even up 25% higher than USA I would consider buying here but sadly not even close.
Even when I got my Sigma (same NZ distributor) it ended up being 60% of the cost getting it from Australia (lined up nicely with a holiday visit in Aus).
Unfortunately the high shipping costs from the USA does take away some the advantage from buying from there (but still works out a lot cheaper). Strange that I can get things shipped from parts of Europe (much further away from NZ) significantly cheaper than USA.

I am very interested in sourcing from Singapore. So far not response from Emjay via email / web contact form so I'm assuming they only respond to telephone calls???
02-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #25
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pietersburg, South Africa
Posts: 26
K5 in South Africa

Hi,
Interesting to read what you have to say about price of 'photo equipment in NZ. We have a similar situation in South Africa. I dont think that the local agents have started to tstock the K5 - will be interesting to see what price they come in at.
Our local version of e-bay by name of "bid or buy" has a NZ based dealer (Electron World) offering K5's at what appear to be reasonable prices but one still has to add tax and duty so the price is not that great. If I buy it will probably be from B & H or Adorama in the US but our landed cost is about 20% higher than US residents pay. My brother in law (a US resident) brought me some equipment last year but unfortunately the lenses were stolen in transit).

cheers,
John K
PS My daughter and son in law will be leaving to start a new life in NZ later this year. Sorry to hear about the quake in Christchurch!!
02-21-2011, 11:51 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
wizofoz's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, Outer east.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,646
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
This is an old thread now but still relevant to those like me in NZ. Grumble alert ahead....

Would like to support NZ distributors but unfortunately prices for Pentax here are just so jacked up (expect to pay nearly double of USA) that buying here is just not an option for me. This is a real gripe - if it was say even up 25% higher than USA I would consider buying here but sadly not even close.
Even when I got my Sigma (same NZ distributor) it ended up being 60% of the cost getting it from Australia (lined up nicely with a holiday visit in Aus).
Unfortunately the high shipping costs from the USA does take away some the advantage from buying from there (but still works out a lot cheaper). Strange that I can get things shipped from parts of Europe (much further away from NZ) significantly cheaper than USA.

I am very interested in sourcing from Singapore. So far not response from Emjay via email / web contact form so I'm assuming they only respond to telephone calls???
G'day Jono.

I stated in another thread that my favourite local camera shop has 6 K-5's on his hands and is struggling to sell them. I'm sure he would be interested in selling one to you at the Aussie price. (or maybe better if you are a smooth talker) Obviously there would be shipping costs and warranty issues to consider, but it may be worth some thought. PM me if you would like details.
03-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #27
Site Supporter
kiwi_jono's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,038
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnKSA Quote
PS My daughter and son in law will be leaving to start a new life in NZ later this year. Sorry to hear about the quake in Christchurch!!
Thanks John. Its been a fairly emotional time but we are lucky - no casualties in the family or works family. We did get evacuated from our house but allowed back there now.

Will post another thread with a link to some snaps of some of the damage.
03-15-2011, 02:27 AM   #28
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
Currently K5 is selling at $1600SGD including GST here in Singapore, that's about 1252USD. For visitors you are entitled to claim 5%GST at the airport, that'd give you a K5 at $1190USD nett
03-15-2011, 04:24 AM   #29
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 8,939
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Even when I got my Sigma (same NZ distributor) it ended up being 60% of the cost getting it from Australia (lined up nicely with a holiday visit in Aus).
The NZ importer for Sigma is CRK while the NZ importer for Pentax is IRL. Do you mean something else with "distributor"? Does CRK NZ not do the price match as CRK OZ do?

N.B., Glad to hear you are back in your house in ChCh. I feel for all victims of the recent quakes.

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I stated in another thread that my favourite local camera shop has 6 K-5's on his hands and is struggling to sell them.
Is it known whether they are stain free?
What is the base price the bargaining starts from?

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Currently K5 is selling at $1600SGD including GST here in Singapore, that's about 1252USD. For visitors you are entitled to claim 5%GST at the airport, that'd give you a K5 at $1190USD nett
Do you happen to know what the conditions would be if a visitor bought a K5 in Singapore and then had to send it back, e.g., because of sensor stains? Would a customer have to pay shipping both ways?
03-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The NZ importer for Sigma is CRK while the NZ importer for Pentax is IRL. Do you mean something else with "distributor"? Does CRK NZ not do the price match as CRK OZ do?

N.B., Glad to hear you are back in your house in ChCh. I feel for all victims of the recent quakes.


Is it known whether they are stain free?
What is the base price the bargaining starts from?


Do you happen to know what the conditions would be if a visitor bought a K5 in Singapore and then had to send it back, e.g., because of sensor stains? Would a customer have to pay shipping both ways?
Hmm, that one I don't know. I can ask for you and update here
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, singapore, stock, warranty
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello from Singapore! Juuvy Welcomes and Introductions 5 11-11-2010 11:08 PM
Pentax warranty/Creve Coeur Camera warranty--STUCK TOGETHER MJB DIGITAL Photographic Technique 2 08-17-2009 05:22 PM
Best of both worlds....Pentax body w/3yr warranty + Sigma EX Lenses with 4yr warranty brecklundin Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 08-10-2009 08:28 AM
Pls advise what's less bad-Squaretrade Warranty or Mack Warranty? Grimlock Photographic Technique 6 05-05-2009 03:36 PM
Hello From Singapore jsohhl Welcomes and Introductions 1 01-25-2009 09:06 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:51 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top