Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2010, 10:14 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
.... When I told Rachel Katz that the K-7 screen was compatible last month she blew it off as "internet rumors" ....
I'm hurt.

12-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm hurt.
She added..."Who the hell is Wheatfield anyway?"
12-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Ainakin minulla on K20D otettu etsin lasi ja se toimii ihan hyvin!
01-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Jan67 Quote
Does anybody know if K-5's focusing screen is compatible with the K-7 one ? From KatzEye e.g ?
I have installed screens marketed for k-7 into k-5. Focusingscreen (Taiwan) - got that first, much cheaper than KatzEye, and KatzEye later, don't know why. Oh, I remember, she stocks shims at $5 a pop and ships them internationally unlike Pentax US. So I thought I might support her business and buy a screen from her while I'm there anyway. Made for K-7 fits K-5. Shims fit as well. Focusing screen was as badly calibrated in K-5 as K-x I had before. Needed thinner shims.

The screen made from Nikon K3 offered by by focusingscreen.com I find superior to what Rachael offers. This is what I have in the camera now. Either fits perfectly and swapping one for another or for genuine Pentax matte does not require changing shim thickness.

Last edited by Mikhail_Kriviniouk; 01-06-2011 at 07:49 AM.
01-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
When I told Rachel Katz that the K-7 screen was compatible last month she blew it off as "internet rumors"
She is not Rachel, her name is Rachael.

=======the rest removed by the author to avoid further upset========

Last edited by Mikhail_Kriviniouk; 01-06-2011 at 07:50 AM.
01-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #21

My exchange with Rachael:

Hello Mikhail,

It is good to hear from you again and I hope that you are well. We have not yet investigated the K-5 model, so I cannot confirm the compatibility. Based on Pentax’s usual design methods, I would expect the K-5 to use the same parts as the K-7; so if the dealer said it did, I would have no reason to doubt it. As I said, we have not confirmed this yet ourselves, but I have no reason not to believe what you were told. We will complete your order as quickly as possible and notify you as soon as it ships. Thank you very much for your continued patronage and enjoy your new camera!

Kind regards,

Rachael Katz
KatzEye™ Optics
Tel. +1.413.743.2523
Fax +1.888.251.5477
KatzEye™ Optics - Custom Focusing Screens

Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 8:08 PM
To: KatzEye Optics
Subject: Re: KatzEye Optics - Order Confirmation -

Dear Rachael

I was told by a Pentax dealer that both shims and screens for K-5 are identical to that of K-7. Please let me know if you know any different and I would then like to change the order accordingly.

Thanks

Mikhail

Last edited by Mikhail_Kriviniouk; 01-05-2011 at 11:20 AM.
01-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #22

Genuine ME-60 (plain matte) also fits.
01-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by aliasant Quote
Interesting. What about a katzeye for Kx in the K5 then or are they incompatible?
Incompatible, I tried. K-x's are bigger, for a start, and the tab is on the wrong side.

Last edited by Mikhail_Kriviniouk; 01-05-2011 at 12:35 PM.
01-06-2011, 05:20 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikhail_Kriviniouk Quote
Incompatible, I tried. K-x's are bigger, for a start, and the tab is on the wrong side.
Thanx.
I tried this too and it can be modified to fit fairly simple but since the Katzeye is worth its weight in diamonds I dont recommend doing so to anyone.

I, however, am ignorant and bold so I did try it. I wrapped the katzeye in surgical tape to protect it and then sawed (dremel) off the little handle.
I still didnt fit because it is a micron to big so I filed it down and now it fits.
A 10 minutes job. The surgical tape protected it and after removing that I cleaned the screen using a Kodak Lens cleaner fluid I had laying around.

I also tried creating my own by ripping a focus screen from an old Pentax ME.
I managed to cut that old screen to the same size as the K5 screen and to be honest I cant really see any difference between that one and the Katzeye.
I now have the katzeye back in my Kx and my homemade in my K5. Looking thru them both with the same lens and still I cant see any difference. Especially not a difference that would be worth the pricetag
I guess the katzeye might be a little bit brighter but its not detectable just looking thru the viewfinder.

My old screen mod was not 100% perfect though. The center is slightly off but thats ok with me. Besides... I have 10 more old cameras with nice focusscreens that I can rip and cut if I want to pursue perfection

Im also thinking about adding lines to my focus screen. Just put some surgical tape on it again and then cut thru that using a razerblade should work. Tricky to get the lines perfect but its doable with some patience.
01-06-2011, 05:37 AM   #25

Or you can by a Travor jobbie on e-bay for $20, soak off the stains (that's how they come) in lighter fluid or methanol and it fits both K-x and K-5. (K-x takes screens with tabs on either side). The ones I bought from e-bay for K-x had the tab on the wrong (for K-x) side. Thus fitting perfectly to K-5

Lines can be engraved on any laser engraving machine - a service commercially available, in Russia, anyway. They engrave anything on any plastic with high precision. So take apart some paperweight film SLRs and no limit to creative flight! What if they are made of glass? Then it won't work... neither would a razorblade, would it?

Last edited by Mikhail_Kriviniouk; 01-06-2011 at 05:53 AM.
01-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I have installed screens marketed for k-7 into k-5. Focusingscreen (Taiwan) - got that first, much cheaper than Rachael's overpriced gimmic and Rachael Eyes later, do not know why exactly. Oh, I remember, she stocks shims at $5 a pop and ships them internationally unlike Pentax US. So I thought I might support her business and buy a screen from her while I'm there anyway. Made for K-7 fits K-5. Shims fit as well. Focusing screen was as badly calibrated in K-5 as K-x I had before. Needed thinner shims.

The screen made from Nikon K3 offered by by focusingscreen.com I find superior to what Rachael offers. This is what I have in the camera now. Either fits perfectly and swapping one for another or for genuine Pentax matte does not require changing shim thickness.
She is not Rachel, her name is Rachael. She has been unpleasant to me recently...

I wonder if all Jews are as stressed as she appeared to be when we Christians celebrate the birthday of the Saviour unknown to them? No. Just those involved in retail ))
Perhaps you came across as a bigoted jerk to her, the same way your two posts make you look that way to me.
Just a thought. If you want respect, you have to give respect.
01-06-2011, 07:18 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

That would be my experience, when I bought my K7 first thing i did was order a k3 with the gridlines. It came with a shim but i tried it first without. didn't need it it was perfect first go (have to add they supplied a good tool kit as well)
01-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

edited as now not relevant

Last edited by eddie1960; 01-09-2011 at 03:01 PM.
01-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #29

message removed by the author to avoid further upset

Last edited by Mikhail_Kriviniouk; 01-06-2011 at 07:52 AM. Reason: offtopic
01-06-2011, 07:25 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
That would be my experience, when I bought my K7 first thing i did was order a k3 with the gridlines. It came with a shim but i tried it first without. didn't need it it was perfect first go (have to add they supplied a good tool kit as well)
Another vote for Focusingscreen.com

Bought a screen from them (US$50) which was superb and worked flawlessly (no shims) in my K7 .... I've just moved that across into my new K5 and it works perfectly.

Excellent metal tools and kit from them too (better than the KatzEye kit).