Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-5 built-in flash huge problem

I think I have shot with it up before, but tonight when I popped it up the camera won't fire the shutter (and sometimes won't focus). Not in any mode, drive mode, focus setting, nothing!!!!!!!!

11-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You might try these tips.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/96474-flash-does-n...entax-k-x.html
11-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Take out the plastic cover on the hot shoes. Seem that create an issue ... if not done yet
11-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Checked everything in that thread, tried the plastic cover, even tried pushing the switch on the left of the hotshoe up and down, to no avail. Pentax will be hearing from me in the morning....

11-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by benisona Quote
Checked everything in that thread, tried the plastic cover, even tried pushing the switch on the left of the hotshoe up and down, to no avail. Pentax will be hearing from me in the morning....
Unfortunately, I found the same problem last weekend. Checking in the camera to the service center next week.

(Yes, tried all the things mentioned the thread linked above as well)
Pentax, we've got a problem
11-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Problems got worse this morning, now I can't go to low aperture settings on the rear e-dial. On my 50mm 1.4f can't go lower than f4. super weird. Tried in every setting possible, in Av it lets me go to 1.4, but in hyper Av (in P mode) won't go below 4, then shoots back up to 8, not acting right at all, maybe even acting like I still have the flash up?

No worries though, I ordered through the pentax webstore, and just called them up, they are sending me ups postage to return my K-5 and exchange it for a brand new one. On top of that I told them I was a pro shooter and would be really bummed if I couldn't have a working body by next week, and they told me that they would 2 day me the new body on monday (so I should have it by next wednesday) and that I should send back the old one as soon as I got the return label, so I won't be k-5less at all. Awesome!

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Unfortunately, I found the same problem last weekend. Checking in the camera to the service center next week.

(Yes, tried all the things mentioned the thread linked above as well)
Pentax, we've got a problem
Don't wait to get it serviced, they might never find out whats wrong, it will take forever and you will have a brand new defective camera regardless, return it now and just get a brand new, new body....
11-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benisona Quote
Problems got worse this morning, now I can't go to low aperture settings on the rear e-dial. On my 50mm 1.4f can't go lower than f4. super weird. Tried in every setting possible, in Av it lets me go to 1.4, but in hyper Av (in P mode) won't go below 4, then shoots back up to 8, not acting right at all, maybe even acting like I still have the flash up?
P mode is buggy when used with Auto ISO... In fact, it behaves just as if ISO was set to it's lowest (or highest, can't remember) setting, and it won't allow you to go below or above given values of Av or Tv because it hit an absolute minimum with this virtual ISO value, even if it could theoretically compensate with Iso... But then it moves the Iso around nonetheless, thus changing the Tv or Av, depending on what you're controlling at the time.

If you set an ISO, it behaves as it should.
11-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is not very encouraging news to hear for brand-new cameras.

11-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
This is not very encouraging news to hear for brand-new cameras.
I'm pretty sure that "P" mode is doing exactly what it is suppose to do given that ISO was set to Auto. It not going to choose f/1.4 at ISO 100 when it can select f/4 at ISO 800 instead.
11-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Sounds kinda like the old "bugs" (as some people called it) in the P mode on the K10D and K20D, involving Auto-ISO.
11-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Actually, it kinda sounds like the program line is set for MTF and auto ISO is enabled.
11-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Actually, it kinda sounds like the program line is set for MTF and auto ISO is enabled.
I think that's what I was trying to say but forgot what it was called
11-05-2010, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
P mode is buggy when used with Auto ISO... In fact, it behaves just as if ISO was set to it's lowest (or highest, can't remember) setting, and it won't allow you to go below or above given values of Av or Tv because it hit an absolute minimum with this virtual ISO value, even if it could theoretically compensate with Iso... But then it moves the Iso around nonetheless, thus changing the Tv or Av, depending on what you're controlling at the time.

If you set an ISO, it behaves as it should.
If you must use P Mode, use there are two separate settings you can use to moderate its behaviour.
Of course, being on P Mode means you give up some level of control.

Auto-ISO has "Slow", "Normal", and "Fast" flavours. The camera will tend to select minimum ISO, High ISO to give you slow or fast shutter speed depending on lighting and your selection.
"Slow" will give you slow shutter speeds in low-light. In bright light it will be higher, of course. "Fast" will boost the shutter as high as the Maximum ISO will allow in low-light.

The other flavouris the Program Line - Sports mode, shallow DOF, deep DOF, MTF (best lens IQ)

Hit the Green Button once you have set what you want - the Program line will select Shutter/Aperture/Auto ISO based on your settings. Playing with the Aperture/Shutter wheel further should give you what you want.

I've used P mode in Dim Light, Bright Light etc. on the K-7, and it works, as long as you understand the settings you need to make to moderate its behaviour.
11-06-2010, 01:11 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
These are all interesting ideas, but the problem is that I have played with every setting and am very very familiar with pentax bodies (I have K10-K5). I also have been shooting with this camera for two weeks (on top of 4 years pro shooting with pentax, canon and nikon) now and this just turned up this morning, no matter what settings are changed. I always have auto ISO on the slow setting, and it has actually worked flawlessley so far, gone have been even the little glitches in the auto ISO of older pentax bodies (at least until today). And even in fixed ISO no dice. P mode for the first two weeks was everything that I always wanted, and didn't exactly get in previous pentax bodies. Full control, even to the point of under and over exposing severely (things will blink when they can't compensate anymore and are thus out of range, such as ISO, or exposure time, but they won't prevent you from over adjusting if you want), as it should. This is definitely not user error, and I even talked with pentax technical support for an hour trouble shooting the camera.

I love this camera when it works but I think/hope I just got a bad apple.

Here is a list of what was defective:
- Focus compensation irregularities (irregular front and back focusing)
- front e-dial not responsive to every click (sometimes one click would do whatever function it was assigned to, sometimes it would take 2-4 clicks)
- internal flash problem
- aperture problem

And since:
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
nfortunately, I found the same problem last weekend. Checking in the camera to the service center next week.
I take it these QC problems are not isolated. This is really my dream camera and I have loved even the little user interface shortcuts built into every aspect of the camera that I have been slowly finding. I am a pro shooter and have shot with the D3S and the Mark IV, and this may still be my favorite of all of them, honestly. Just really hope this next body doesn't have any problems at all...