Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2010, 03:35 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No excuses for Pentax - by now flash performance should be 1st rate and it isn't.

Nikon is perfection.

Canon had a little glitch in the past but have sorted it out.

When you are laying big moola down on the latest why should we accept anything less?

Yes the K5 is great - but as an ALL ROUND tool - does it really compete?

With lets say a Canon I can pick up a premium 70-200, 100-400, 500 (even 2nd hand) very quickly if I wanted to shoot wildlife, surfing etc - not too mention rent as well.

Yes the 7D might be big - but that is the ONLY fault you will find with it - other than that it's more flawless than the K5.

Last edited by dylansalt; 11-05-2010 at 03:42 AM.
11-05-2010, 03:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
During picture playback images do not rotate
I've read this so many times now that I no longer refrain from commenting

IMHO, this isn't a bug but a feature.

Let me explain:

The original behaviour (where the images autorotated on playback) forced me to turn the camera for every portrait photo and wait for the camera to adapt after it detects the turn. That was plain annoying.

The new behaviour (K-5) rotates the image directly (if in portrait orientation, ie. doesn't rotate anything in fact) and I immediately see the rotated image after I turn the camera. Much faster.

And if this isn't the intended behaviour, I can switch off autorotate images.

Of course, I achieve the same on the K-7 by switching off the "Autorotate Image in playback" option. However, it affects the view after image taken as well. I typically don't want autorotate in playback. But I want it in shooting mode. Maybe, that's all what was changed with the K-5.

Tell me I'm wrong. Otherwise, it's not a bug.

Last edited by falconeye; 11-05-2010 at 04:03 AM.
11-05-2010, 03:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vtqanh Quote
If the K-5 have bugs, Pentax will fix it.
they already did it Pentax announces firmware update for K-5: Digital Photography Review
11-05-2010, 06:32 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I've read this so many times now that I no longer refrain from commenting

IMHO, this isn't a bug but a feature.
I was one who found the K-7 autorotating a photo when you were already viewing that photo pretty annoying.

11-05-2010, 07:36 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You forgot to mention another, related bug:
3. When the batteries run out, the camera stops working.

Hopefully Pentax will have a firmware fix for this bug soon.
However when you take it out and put it in, camera starts to operate. And by saying "locked up" I mean that it stays on, however it does not react to any button presses, even when you switch dial to OFF position it stays on.
11-05-2010, 07:40 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
I was one who found the K-7 autorotating a photo when you were already viewing that photo pretty annoying.
I found it extremely convenient for me K-5 is a step back in this regard.
11-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
I recently read...Ricehighblog.
QuoteQuote:
that Ricehigh dude has some hate postings on Pentax, I check his blogs for news and rumors, but this dude should close his blog, and maybe start a new Sony blog or something...
Old news on PF. He was even bashed after he left here.

QuoteQuote:
it's more flawless.
Like "premium" image quality - better than best!
11-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
During picture playback images do not rotate
How can this be a bug when it is never mentioned as a feature in the advertising and product manual. It was a feature on the K7 and maybe returned in the K5 when they update the firmware but it's not a bug.

11-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
I know, I know, I own one myself, it's a big improvement on the K-7.

what I am saying is there are people out there trying to talk bad about Pentax and stuff, they don't make no sense. All I have to say is that there are major issue with other big brands new releases, but they are always picking on Pentax... what the hell with that! lol

But anyway, I know K-5 is a hit

No matter what Pentax does or doesn't do, there are and always will be Pentax haters out there. But that is human nature - there are many clueless followers and couldn't stand us having a better camera for a change.
11-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Definitely it isn't. I've tried K-5 in shop for 10-15 minutes and can confirm two bugs which already were mentioned earlier by some people:
  1. When battery was really low, camera locked up. Only taking battery out of the camera helped to reset the camera
  2. During picture playback images do not rotate
I have not allowed the batteries to run low enough to verify lockup, but I can confiirm that images do not rotate on my K5. Overall I coudn't care less about this as it is almost certain to be resolved in firmware. Of real moment to me is the staggering improvement in high ISO performance. I find that even at 51,200 I only need to use the luminance controls in Adobe Camera Raw (latest version) to produce images from DNG files at 51,200 that I find comparable or better than the images I used to get on the ragged edge at 6400 with the K7. I have even stopped using Topaz denoise (for now at least).

AF is also as advertised. It is hard for me to over-rate this camera.

Last edited by Delgado; 11-05-2010 at 11:24 AM.
11-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
Until the K5 supports tethering and can communicate reliably with Pentax' own external flash system, (and some other flash systems) I will not consider it a flawless (or a premium) camera. I will not pay a premium price for it until it can do all that a premium camera can do.

Here's hoping that these problems are easily solved by firmware updates, and that Pentax gets on it very quickly. I have enough saved for a premium camera, and I will buy one in six months' time, but I have no brand loyalty when it comes to a 1600 dollar APS C camera.

EDIT: I see on this forum that some are having problems with the onboard flash also. These flash problems are not good news.
You do realize that the K5 is not a "premium " camera?
I read of one problem with the onboard flash, which makes it a one off, not "some having problems, etc.

Anyway, if you want a premium camera, the 645 is available, or will be soon. It should do what you need. I know in my trial of it, I thought it would do what I wanted it to do, but unfortunately, I can't afford a premium camera.

I discovered years ago that developing brand loyalty WRT cameras was a smart thing to do. It's stupidly expensive not to.
11-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You do realize that the K5 is not a "premium " camera?
Actually, Ned Bunnell in an interview with Miserere said that the K5 was a premium camera, and that is why Pentax is charging a premium price for it, and that is why the price will not come down for a long time. I read that interview on dpreview, and that is why I equated K5 with "premium" in my post. I assumed everyone had seen the report, I guess. My bad.

EDIT: I add the url to that interview with Ned Bunnell. In particular, the section on Pentax' plans for lenses is interesting.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=36798292

Last edited by snofox; 11-05-2010 at 07:53 PM.
11-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My apologies to all. It's amazing what you can read into stuff if you want to see it there. Nowhere in that interview did Bunnell call the K5 a 'premium' camera. He did say that it bested the Nikon 7000 and probably the Canon 7D, which I guess I interpreted as being the 'premium' cameras in the APS-C lineup. That's my error.

All the same, I will not fork over 1600 bucks for an APS-C camera with those flash problems (with respect to the onboard flash, "some" means two, which ain't many I admit ... but it's early yet) and the lack of tethering.

Wheatfield, your thoughts on brand loyalty were heard. I guess maybe I will just sit this round out and hope for fixes in the near future or wait for the K5's successor. After all, a K20D isn't all that outdated, and neither is a K200 for that matter. Both those cameras are a lot better than I am anyway.
11-06-2010, 01:07 AM   #29
Veteran Member

The flash issue, I'm sure will be fixed. I'm quite happy with the K-7's P-TTL flash implementation, and fully expect it to be at least as good on the K-5, once they fix the firmware.

As for tethering, the likely outcome is really unknown. Pentax is pushing "light, portable, weather-sealed, outdoor"; they may get around to fix studio-based wired tethering functionality, or they may not.
11-06-2010, 01:21 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
I recently read some crap about the bugs they found in K-5 on Ricehighblog or something, he was complaining about that.
Cmon now Luke. didn't you still get it? for him, Pentax is the devil !