Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2010, 01:32 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote

Yes the 7D might be big - but that is the ONLY fault you will find with it - other than that it's more flawless than the K5.
some reports were saying that the 7D isn't as good as the Pentax when it comes to WR inspite of how Canon marketed it to be WR. which raises the question of it really truly WR. that makes it flawed even worse (false advertising). I hope our friend in his lonesome blog would address it as well as this would affect Canon as well.

oh and the 5D MK II, eventhough I like it, moves like a turtle. would a $2500+ camera worthy of such price if it can't do better than it's APS-C counterparts?

11-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
I guess maybe I will just sit this round out and hope for fixes in the near future or wait for the K5's successor.
Wow! I hadn't thought that far ahead- as good as the K5 is, it's successor will have to REALLY be something!
But I'm saving up for a K5!!!
11-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Rice High is nuts.

I really mean this. His writtings and his arguments contain a strange logic of twisted half truths, exagerations, and unverified rumors that only he can trully understand. His dimented ramblings remind me of the drunk mutterings of a jilted lover drunk at a bar.

I expect to hear from his lawyer.

To the "I gotta have tethering people", go buy a system that does tethering. It is that simple. No one product can meet all the needs of all the people. If the feature is a make or break item for you, then move on. Or use a K20D along with a K-5. Or use a D7000 along with your Pentax gear. I expect the camera is a small part of the cost of a studio setup to shoot tethered.

As for software bugs. All complex system will have bugs. That is why there are firmware updates. And two people with a problem does not make an epidemic. Half the time, the reported problem is user error. The other half of the time it is unreasonable expectations. In very few cases it actually is a problem with the hardware.

So, in conclusion:

1. Ignore Rice High.
2. Nothing can be designed to meet the needs of all users. It is your responsibility to get the gear that meets your needs.
3. Software bugs happen
11-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Rice High is nuts.
His dimented ramblings remind me of the drunk mutterings of a jilted lover drunk at a bar.
was this drunk telling stories about how this chick was into him but he doesn't want to make out with the gal since he is just too handsome only to be limited to such gal?

11-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Rice High is nuts.

ITo the "I gotta have tethering people", go buy a system that does tethering. It is that simple. No one product can meet all the needs of all the people. If the feature is a make or break item for you, then move on. Or use a K20D along with a K-5. Or use a D7000 along with your Pentax gear. I expect the camera is a small part of the cost of a studio setup to shoot tethered.
I think I will just use the K20D by itself. It supports tethering, the onboard flash is reliable, and it plays well with Pentax external flash units, and others, such as Metz. It's a fully functional camera body that should make an excellent studio camera. If and when the K5 shortcomings get fixed, I will be there.

In truth, it isn't that easy to just move on once you have invested heavily in a system, much as I am tempted to do so. I have bought more Pentax glass than anyone has a right to, from 1972 onwards. In short, I am stuck here, and I am hardly a Pentax basher. Are only fanboys allowed in this forum? Are we supposed to leave our critical functions at the door when we join these boards?

I am done with this thread.

Last edited by snofox; 11-06-2010 at 10:58 PM.
11-06-2010, 11:44 PM   #36
Veteran Member

well, for a person who seems to have a photography blog and had done a lot of research copy pasting topics from other forums, he sure did miss the term such a firmware update and it's relevance.
11-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #37
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote

EDIT: I see on this forum that some are having problems with the onboard flash also. These flash problems are not good news.
This is a biggie-- they're using the on-board flash and it fries the system, requiring shipment for service.

Pentax:

Anyone having to deal with this problem really deserves some satisfaction, in addition to super-expedited repair.

Like a significant manufacturer's coupon for a lens.

11-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
This is a biggie-- they're using the on-board flash and it fries the system, requiring shipment for service.

Pentax:

Anyone having to deal with this problem really deserves some satisfaction, in addition to super-expedited repair.

Dear me, this sounds quite serious. I don't recall, however, seeing the issue discussed in this forum. Would you provide some links to these failures ????
11-11-2010, 03:29 AM   #39
Veteran Member

HyperTv and HyperAv are unusable with Auto ISO. It seems it's worse than in K-7. I hope (however hope is extremely small) they are going to fix it.
11-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #40
Veteran Member

The best thing about RiceHigh's blog is how often he gets called out for his shit. Many of his comments are downvoted: I've never seen a blog quite like it.
11-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #41
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Poor old RiceHigh....he didn't listen to the warnings on constantly Measurebating...and now he is totally blind! It does explain his bizarre conclusions.......
Regards!
11-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #42

I have a flaw... The tripod base that screwed into my DS nice and tight doesn't do so on the K5 - so the camera can rotate on the base... I will have to grind the thread down!
11-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
the main mistake you made op was visiting rh's blog.
+1,000
11-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #44

K-5 is levels above K-7!

QuoteOriginally posted by 65535 Quote
What bugs?

This camera is *FLAWLESS* and I really mean it. Pentax hit the ball out of the park.

Those who don't have one don't know or understand how good it really is, especially compared to previous offerings.

I ave not encountered any bugs whatsoever.

AF is blazing fast, camera responds quickly, and high-iso is insanely clean.

K20D...
Normal 100-800...
Emergency 1600
Crapshoot 3200-6400

K-5
Normal 100-3200
Emergency 6400-12800
Crapshoot 25xxx-51200
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
I would say from what I've seen of the K-5

Normal 100-12800
Special Occasions 25-512000

There is no emergency and no crap shoot.....This camera is incredible !

Just my opinion and not bashing anyone !

wll
I just have to agree with "65535", and "wll" as well! Earlier this week I bought a K-5 and find that I have got a fantastic camera. It is levels above K-7 which was a disappointment (but still not bad, I want to stress). AF is fast, the ISO behaviour is marvelleous, the five user modes with the switchable Raw/Fx button makes the K-5 very user friendly (which is where already K-7 improved things to begin with). This is the developed old good Pentax technology back on track again I am happy to say, no, to shout!

Last edited by Staffan; 11-13-2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Adding title
11-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

Pentax:

Can you please supply more info on this one... I have read some issues with Metz but nothing as serious as what you have mentioned.