Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2010, 06:45 AM   #46
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it's outstanding...Pentax made the best APS-C camera ever made...

number 5 among ALL TESTED cameras...

K-5 kills Fuji S5Pro in terms of DR

11-05-2010, 06:47 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
So the nikon and canon cameras compared against are ful frame sensors?
Just look at the ranking. The only cameras that are even remotely close to the K-5 in score are all MF and FF cameras. The nearest APS-C camera is the A-55, 9 points below.
11-05-2010, 06:50 AM   #48
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I think Hoya is big in hospital image software and hardware. I wrote software for a few years before i retired and the same chip that i wrote on others can impliment there own softward to there standards. Pretty obvious that Pentax is getting better at the software end of it.
Pretty impressive. And things to come are looking up...
11-05-2010, 06:50 AM   #49
Veteran Member

So the nikon and canon cameras compared against are ful frame sensors?
You can compare any other cameras against the K-5, not just the ones from the OP's link provided. Just for kicks, I compared the K-5 against the 7D and the D300s and the K-5 trumped them both, across the board. Impressive.

Jason

11-05-2010, 06:51 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
it's outstanding...Pentax made the best APS-C camera ever made...

number 5 among ALL TESTED cameras...
Correction, they made the best Pentax camera with the best APS-C sensor ever made. The K-5 as an SLR package still has some shortfalls that you can't ignore regardless of how fantastic the sensor is. The sensor is only only a small section of the story.
11-05-2010, 06:53 AM   #51
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
Correction, they made the best Pentax camera with the best APS-C sensor ever made. The K-5 as an SLR package still has some shortfalls that you can't ignore regardless of how fantastic the sensor is. The sensor is only only a small section of the story.
Of course.
11-05-2010, 06:55 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Next question: how will the D7000 DXOMark?

I think worse than the K-5.
11-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazing. I had figured dynamic range of 13 and high iso score of 900 and would have been quite pleased with both of those numbers. this just blows them out of the water. Really says something about how much that translucent mirror on the A55 kills its performance.

11-05-2010, 07:02 AM   #54
Veteran Member

to keep things in perspective

Although great results, and overall score is better than FF cameras like 5DII and D700, the individual graphs are pretty similar to k-x performance. It is the DR graph where k-5 really shines at ISOs 50-400. Rest all graphs are very similar to k-x and behind the FFs.

All images below taken from dxomark - DxOMark - Welcome to DxOMark
Attached Images

11-05-2010, 07:04 AM   #55
Veteran Member

I'm starting to wonder what the K-3 will look like...
11-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #56
Veteran Member

It begs the question:

This sensor technology in a FF package?

Could this be what will make it's way into Nikon's new FF offerings?
11-05-2010, 07:09 AM   #57
Inactive Account

I just looked at the Mark 1v ... Is it really that bad agains nikon? That is unreal. And a score less than the k-5?
11-05-2010, 07:09 AM   #58

I love it!
11-05-2010, 07:11 AM   #59
Veteran Member

I just looked at the Mark 1v ... Is it really that bad agains nikon? That is unreal. And a score less than the k-5?
Oh jesus, please don't let this thread go down the pan with silly statements.
11-05-2010, 07:12 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frederick Quote
Sir Gordon,you were spot on with the dynamic range.
I was in private communication with him about his 14EV DR prediction. He was spot on indeed!

I just thought that there have been some assumptions in his result which made me stay a bit more conservative. However, I concede all his assumptions were legitimate.

Gordon, excellent work!

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Its amazing.
+1
and stunning

QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
6 position ever and pentax 645d 4...it seems 645d and k5 is a superb combo for every needs....

Actually, fourth place is a tie of three. So, the top six are
  1. P65+
  2. D3X
  3. P40+
  4. 645D, D3s, K-5
However, the smaller sensor of the K-5 must perform worse for noise performance compared to the bigger. It's low light score is just in line with a very good sensor of its size (best APSC ever but the D3s beats it in ISO/surface which would translate to 1400 on APSC compared to 1162 for the K-5). So with an equivalent lens, D3s is the only camera beating the K-5 in low light performance (by 1/4 stop).

And the medium format cameras excel in color depth and resolution.

But in dynamic range (where the larger sensors used to be better too), the K-5 outclasses everything tested so far. Even the SuperCCD Finepix S3/5 Pro and bigger D3X are beaten by half a stop!

If the D7k for whatever reason stays behind that result then K-5 will wash tons of cash into Pentax which I hope they have good use for

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
But in the past I have heard that `DxO´rating are not all so often that I would not base any judgement on this site ±D
That's correct. But only applies to the overall score which is a bit artificial.

Instead, look at
  • resolution
  • dynamic range (landscape score)
  • color depth (portrait score)
  • SNR (or DR) at true ISO 1600 in Print normalization (some use the sports score instead which is poorer though)
and you have four reliable figures which are much more trustworthy than the overall score. Of course, K-5 doesn't rank high in resolution or ISO 1600 SNR because of its relatively small sensor. But its very good elsewhere and the best APSC sensor ever, with only the 7D sensor having higher resolution.

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
so what's the verdict on DXO? it's good if it shows good scores for your camera and it's bad if it doesn't?
See above. Best testing lab with a broad service. Run by physicists

My verdict on DxO is rather constant independently from their last test. Great in individual results. A bit artificial when it comes to overall presentation.

BTW,
Anybody note how they tested the K-5 prior to D7000 and how they quote an indicative price of 1374 USD (which is French street price w/o VAT)?

I'm sure the K-5 is a big hit at DxO Labs in Paris

One last note...

Everybody wondering how DR may increase in the future beyond what we have seen now ...

According to Gordon's analysis and this DxO result, the full well capacity is ~40,000 electrons and read-out noise is ~3.2 electrons (Gordon guessed 4) where luminosity reaches 3.2 electrons too (SNR 1:1). However, at 3.2 electrons, the photon shot noise is 1.8 electrons already and the pure electronic read-out noise is only 2.6 electrons. That's an amazingly good result, chapeau to Sony engineering.

On the other hand, it only leaves maybe one more stop DR which is feasible with a sensor of that size, i.e., DR 15.0-15.5 is kind of a barrier for APSC sensors without offering native lower iso (an ideal sensor of the same full well capacity would have 15.7 EV DR).

Last edited by falconeye; 06-23-2012 at 03:10 AM.