Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
If you look at the Portrait, Color, and Low-Light score descriptions, it doesn't really bring any insight into their formula to derive the ovrall score. (again, unless I miss that formula.) So, the overall score is useful as a better-than-average subjective measure, and can be a feather in the cap that increases sales, but isn't as useful in determining the worth of the camera to your needs as looking at the individual attributes would be.
These links may be of use for understanding their individual scores:

DxOMark - Dynamic range and noise source

DxOMark - Color blindness & sensor quality

11-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Great to see the best in class this year is a Pentax!
And the first ever APS-C to tread FF territory is a Pentax!
Yay Pentax!
This camera has quenched my thirst for a full frame camera. If I can get this kind of performance in a compact body, all I want are ASP-C limited primes . I can't even imagine what they are going to do with the next body!
11-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Nice showing Pentax.
11-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
This camera has quenched my thirst for a full frame camera. If I can get this kind of performance in a compact body, all I want are ASP-C limited primes . I can't even imagine what they are going to do with the next body!
Not mine. The differences I'm looking for are in physical things like crop factor and viewfinder.

11-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #80

Well, well, well.

One of the rare cases where the numbers match subjective conclusions to a T
Attached Images

11-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a K-7 owner, that table just makes me cringe.
A good result.
11-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Wow, Pentax has really done a great job with the K-5. I can't wait to get one (although I will for the price to drop, which, considering how good the camera is, may take quite a while). I'll be interested to see how the D7000 does in comparison. I don't think anything is going to touch the K-5 in DR for a bit....

11-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Yes, but my question was more specific about what it actually measures, not what it (maybe) corresponds to. I don't think I've actually seen a breakdown of what goes into that number, not even a simplified criteria weighting. (unless I missed it.)
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
DXO have reams and reams of material on the dxomark.com websitte that explains their methodology and what all the numbers mean.
DxO suggests that their overall score is a weighted sum of their three single scores (minus offset), where the sports-score must be used to the Log_2. The weights are such that an increase in 5 correspond to 1/3 stop. So, Overall score/15 is an overall EV score which you could call overall sensitivity score.

However, the individual weights are not published and the arithmetic average formula isn't published either (e.g., they could use a weighted geometric mean). The weights are not simple, as far as I could find out.

I tried to reverse engineer the weights which means to solve a linear equation for the arithmetic average formula. My result hasn't been conclusive yet. I expected to find a relatively simple formula but didn't yet. All I can say is that the (logarithmic) sports score has a relatively high weight in comparison to the other two.

With all the information on DxO sites, I find it a bit strange that the overall score isn't made transparent. This, together with the fact that the sports score is based on the 30 dB SNR which is a bit high, let me to ignore the overall score. As far as possible. Hard to do if everybody else is citing it of course
11-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Absolutely!

I love DR and color depth(these are pinnacle points for landscape photography), And the K-5 matches or beats FF camera's. So for me it's a massive gain given the camera's size and portability.

The other thing is where my wife and I have been shooting indoor events over the past years and the K-5 will meet or exceed our expectations there too. We shot with K20's and K-x up until now. But both of these systems proved to have limitations with respect to the jobs and so were pretty excited about the K-5 with this regard. Especially for the quiet shutter feature(great for baptisms etc)!

Other than that, I think Pentax has really proven itself this year.
I mean just look at the numbers!
Best APS-C in class and competing with FF camera's costing as much as 4 times the price!

I am truly amazed at Pentax.
And very very relieved that I did not sell off our Pentax glass and gear(phew)!
11-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
K5 is listed there at $1374. Where does that come from?

Bit expensive i can get it for $1350 ... :P (with delivery)
11-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
let me to ignore the overall score. As far as possible. Hard to do if everybody else is citing it of course
Well that's the human method.
Ignore the bad and amplify the good!
Especially if the good is what we want.

But hey.... how about that K-5 at ISO80?
There's that FF studio performance!

Well maybe not the DOF and other finer attributes but... insofar as color, tone, DR, noise and resolution goes... and if were adventurous.. shooting super resolution just to piss-off those D3x owners
11-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Whatever the score means, it's good to see so many Pentax users feeling good about the brand again and getting their mojo back.

This should help muffle the 'Pentax is doomed' refrain around here. At least for a few weeks.
11-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #88
Veteran Member

Seing these score today . I just ordered mine this morning . That was the final push I need and the price is OK in Canada . I just paid $1420.
11-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Whatever the score means, it's good to see so many Pentax users feeling good about the brand again and getting their mojo back.

This should help muffle the 'Pentax is doomed' refrain around here. At least for a few weeks.
Or until the DPR review comes out.....
11-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I'm done looking, so whoever wants to jump on their website next, feel free

Looks good, and as expected after using the K5 for a couple weeks now.
Dgaies .... are you telling us that you're done testing and actually going out there taking pics?

Cheers.

JP