Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #121
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by burnie Quote
So.... I bet all those people that dumped their pentax gear for greener pastures feel pretty dumb about now!!
Yep I feel terrible for getting a year old camera with higher FPS, more manual control, better ergonomics, better AF, better video options, more flash selection, and a bigger lens selection.

11-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #122

QuoteOriginally posted by burnie Quote
So.... I bet all those people that dumped their pentax gear for greener pastures feel pretty dumb about now!!
Changing system is the only way to take your LBA to a whole new dimension. :-)
11-05-2010, 01:07 PM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Yep I feel terrible for getting a year old camera with higher FPS, more manual control, better ergonomics, better AF, better video options, more flash selection, and a bigger lens selection.
and worse IQ... Sorry, but you're really trolling.
11-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #124
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
I don't get your point.

When you are diffraction limited with F8 on the K-5 for a certain DOF than you would be diffraction limited with F11 on a FF, and both will have similar DOF and you
loose the ISO advantage of the FF.
Combining diffraction with DOF, DR and noise would be really confusing, my only concern was with K-5, if we going to able to shoot apertures smaller than f/8 without ending up blurry images or not.

My favorite Diff. Limited reference:
Digital Camera Sensor Sizes: How it Influences Your Photography

11-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #125
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
and worse IQ... Sorry, but you're really trolling.
I'm not the person who brought it up. Believe it or not IQ isn't everything. I wanted the features and the SYSTEM. Camera bodies are obsolete about two years after being made. Lenses and flashes are not. Pentax just doesn't offer high end lenses that I want. I bought a hell of a camera body now and am going to invest in nice L lenses. So when the next FF camera comes out I can get it. Then maybe another APS-C, or APS-H. And all my nice flashes and lenses will work perfectly with all of them. Pentax is quite limiting if you want to do a lot of different things. Sorry it's just a fact.

Pentax can enjoy the spotlight now and grow. But to keep up they are going to have to come out with great cameras every year, not every other year like most...
11-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #126
Veteran Member

all the way I was saying that Dxo mark does a good job and it confirms my intuition most of the time..

my intuition, while looking at k5 image samples was great..

although I was hoping Kr would do a little better.. and while seeing the pics.. my intuition was saying, that kr isn't something spectacular.. dxo mark confirmed that it's not better than kx that I had before..

I was getting ready to buy kr but now.. I just so badly want to buy k5 that i'll sell something.. and I will get it..

to me Dynamic range is all I really want.. it makes pictures rich.. tonality close to real life.. and if you make an hdr, then you get something even more spectacular..

well congratulations pentax and all pentaxians.. this is a great day.
11-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #127
Inactive Account

Believe it or not IQ isn't everything.
Raylon no offense bud, picking words are not good too but, but I could never ever imagine someone will come up with this word. Thats a quiet surprise for me.

Yeah I guess I've got what you mean in your posting, you simply say IQ is not for today but for tomorrow, by investing lenses and accessories, But life is is short, who knows..

11-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by curiouspeter Quote
Changing system is the only way to take your LBA to a whole new dimension. :-)
True!

11-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #129
Veteran Member

I wanted the features and the SYSTEM
I often hear this. It's a legitimate desire, but really sometimes people downplay the Pentax 'system' as much as they over-state the virtues of other manufacturers 'systems'.

I mean, here is the K-5 'system', which is not too shabby, even if this graphic omits about 25 of the lenses that are in the current Pentax DSLR line up. Not to mention all of the Pentax medical imaging and other stuff you could throw in if you really wanted to talk about the full Pentax 'system', and all the 3rd party lenses and other gear that form part of the broader Pentax-related eco-system.

Seriously, how much gear do people need to have access to, or could they ever buy in a lifetime.
11-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
Woah, time to replace my K20D.
no F'ing kidding!
11-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #131
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Seriously, how much gear do people need to have access to, or could they ever buy in a lifetime.
Haha, I love that they have Pentax's spotting scopes on there. Yep, that would be Pentax's versions of long focal length lenses.

Ok just think about this. I'm 20. Say I photographs things till I am 60. That's 40 years. Say I even invest $1000 a year in cameras. That's 40k in a system. I would love to own every single L lens Canon manufactures....
11-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #132
Veteran Member

I'm not the person who brought it up. Believe it or not IQ isn't everything. I wanted the features and the SYSTEM. Camera bodies are obsolete about two years after being made. Lenses and flashes are not. Pentax just doesn't offer high end lenses that I want. I bought a hell of a camera body now and am going to invest in nice L lenses. So when the next FF camera comes out I can get it. Then maybe another APS-C, or APS-H. And all my nice flashes and lenses will work perfectly with all of them. Pentax is quite limiting if you want to do a lot of different things. Sorry it's just a fact.

Pentax can enjoy the spotlight now and grow. But to keep up they are going to have to come out with great cameras every year, not every other year like most...
I use my camera to take pictures, IQ realy IS everything. Pentax have given me the IQ i have needed from there digital bodies.
11-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
By the way, do you teach optical physics somewhere?
No, I don't. I've actually been asked to give lectures in a corporation on a private base but denied because I have an established corporate rate for my consulting work. I give lectures on software technology and had a university lecture on numerical mathematics in Berlin while I was an active researcher.

Anyway, I think optical physics isn't teached in physics (too basic) except of course the stuff dealing with lasers etc. which is solid state physics. It's typically teached in engineering in departments cooperating with the optical industry. I never established links to the optical industry although I later was involved in a project with Leica Microsystems (it was a cool project aimed at beating the diffraction limit by capturing and deconvolve the diffraction pattern in 3D -- well not exactly, but this is what I can say ).
11-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #134
Veteran Member

The actual write-up "reivew" that accompanied the scores is quite strong in its complements as well (in case anybody missed it):

DxOMark - DxOMark review for the Pentax K5
11-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #135
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
I use my camera to take pictures, IQ realy IS everything. Pentax have given me the IQ i have needed from there digital bodies.
But like I've said before. Give me a K10 and the IQ is plenty good for me, just not the capabilities of the body. So IQ in the past 5 years is good enough for me, I just want one that has great performance in other categories.

And like you said yourself, you take pictures. Some people do more than that. What one person wants and needs is completely different than what somebody else may need.