Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2010, 07:22 PM   #181

I'm generally very happy with the performance of my K-5, but I really hope that Pentax gets around to making P-TTL more reliable. I am often frustrated with P-TTL in bounced flash mode, and I can't whole heartedly recommend the pentax system as a result.

They managed to fix AF, surely they are good enough to improve P-TTL!

11-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Well to be honest I don't think there will be ten new lenses in the next 5 years for Pentax. I've been a Pentax follower for almost 3 years now and I can't think of even 5 lenses that have come out. Also Pentax will probably have more than 5 bodies, seeing how they have released at least as many bodies as lenses in that time period.

And I was just throwing out a random number. It will probably be more than that that I spend a year. I wasn't throwing out the money figure just based on the fact that I want to try and spend that amount of money or whatever, it's just Pentax doesn't have the complete lineup that I want. I was saying I have a large of sum of money that could be invested in a camera system and I don't see Pentax as a place I would want to start putting money in now.

To me personally it just seems like a dead end. I can only go so far with Pentax equipment. I am by no means saying it is bad stuff, it's quite good, but it's not what I am looking for. Maybe if they increase their lens lineup I will give them a second look. I will definitely be keeping an eye on them with the advent of the K-5.
I'd be a tad humble here for two reasons:

Pentax is under new ownership and the past is not necessarily a strong predictor of the future and .....

For many, three years is not a long time.

I know the first seems to contradict the second, but there we are.

And you're absolutely correct: you can only act on what your own requirements are at the time. I throw no stones at others - it's hard to tell from here what you or anyone else will find value in. I'm just waiting for my purple K-5 ....
11-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #183
Inactive Account

the magic is in the 14bits
the D7000 will not match it
11-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #184
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I'd be a tad humble here for two reasons:

Pentax is under new ownership and the past is not necessarily a strong predictor of the future and .....

For many, three years is not a long time.

I know the first seems to contradict the second, but there we are.

And you're absolutely correct: you can only act on what your own requirements are at the time. I throw no stones at others - it's hard to tell from here what you or anyone else will find value in. I'm just waiting for my purple K-5 ....

Good points. And yes 3 years is not long but I guess nothing ever released caught my eye as super impressive. I just kept seeing on these forums how awesome the old stuff was.

Purple K-5...yikes. Wouldn't hold your breath on that one coming to America

11-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #185
Veteran Member

Anyone want to start a rumor that Sony gave the K-5 a better sensor than the D7000 to hurt Nikon's sales?
11-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #186
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CorneliusK Quote
I'm generally very happy with the performance of my K-5, but I really hope that Pentax gets around to making P-TTL more reliable. I am often frustrated with P-TTL in bounced flash mode, and I can't whole heartedly recommend the pentax system as a result.

They managed to fix AF, surely they are good enough to improve P-TTL!
Corneliusk, do you honestly believe that your problem with bounce flash will be automatically resolved using i-ttl or e-ttl?? Flash photography is more art than science. Sounds like you just believe the other flash system is better because some people said so.

Read my other post with P-TTL flash example.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/121215-pentax-k5-nikon-d700-help.html

Last edited by aleonx3; 11-05-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: added link to the other post
11-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #187
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Anyone want to start a rumor that Sony gave the K-5 a better sensor than the D7000 to hurt Nikon's sales?
hey, good conspiracy theory... I like that...

11-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #188
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Not sure how that would benefit sony ... lol
11-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
Not sure how that would benefit sony ... lol
To give Sony some room for advancement in dSLR sales.

Enemy of my enemy is my friend (even if I'm selling my wares to both of them).
11-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #190

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Corneliusk, do you honestly believe that your problem with bounce flash will be automatically resolved using i-ttl or e-ttl?? Flash photography is more art than science. Sounds like you just believe the other flash system is better because some people said so.

Read my other post with P-TTL flash example.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/121215-pentax-k5-nikon-d700-help.html
I never said anything about other flash systems being better, I am just sharing my personal frustrations with P-TTL. Its simply not giving me consistent results in bounced mode, and its something I hope that Pentax can get around to addressing somehow.
11-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #191

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I think the SLTA55 and K5 don't have the same sensor. The A55 is 12 bits only, has a few less pixels and sits in a cheaper camera.

More importantly however, SLT technology only shifts SNR curves left on the ISO axis. It doesn't make max. DR worse at all. And what is ISO 80 at K5 should be ISO50 at A55. However, the A55 stops at ISO100 making it loose 1 stop.
that makes sense, thank you!...if i'm not mistaken the A/D converters sit on the sensor...so would it be cheaper to produce (slightly) lower quality sensors with just 12bit?

i've looked up the (geizhals) prices and it seems that the alpha 55 and the a580 are roughly the same, so it would make sense for them to share their 16mp sensor.

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
the magic is in the 14bits
the D7000 will not match it
the d7000 does 14bit(according to dpr), but what about ISO 80?
(edit:which also could tell us something about the sensor...maybe)
editedit: the nikon website says ISO 100 for the d7000, so that means it won't have the kick-ass ISO 80 DR?!?

Last edited by Parliament; 11-05-2010 at 08:49 PM.
11-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #192
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh crap..I was trying to hold off but it looks like the K-5 is too good to pass up.
11-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #193
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CorneliusK Quote
I never said anything about other flash systems being better, I am just sharing my personal frustrations with P-TTL. Its simply not giving me consistent results in bounced mode, and its something I hope that Pentax can get around to addressing somehow.
There are other areas in the flash system such as max sync speed, that they can improve for sure. But it sounds like your frustration is not being able to use P-TTL effectively and consistently. At least one suggestion I can make is to keep on practicing until you have a good handle on it - there is no major button that will give you a perfect setting (every situation is different).
11-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #194
Veteran Member

Not some Apples and Oranges factor in play here?
So what happens when the next round of over 2 years old FF comparison cameras are replaced?

Surely development lab techs must be laughing at this 15 minutes of fame.

And Hoya aren't giggling kiddies so will be more worried about its 645D getting knocked off its perch by humble 35 FF.
Welcome to natural progress. Even the sky isn't a limit.

.R.
11-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #195
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Not some Apples and Oranges factor in play here?
So what happens when the next round of over 2 years old FF comparison cameras are replaced?

Surely development lab techs must be laughing at this 15 minutes of fame.

And Hoya aren't giggling kiddies so will be more worried about its 645D getting knocked off its perch by humble 35 FF.
Welcome to natural progress. Even the sky isn't a limit.

.R.

Hypocorism, I will quote myself from earlier in this thread:

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
To those saying that the K-5 breaks into FF ground: I don't think so. I think this is simply where APS-C's are headed. K-5's sensor is a next gen sensor. Well guess what, as soon as the next gen FF sensors come out, they will most likely make the K-5 sensor look like a toy again.
I totally agree. I totally see FF creeping into MF range...