Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What is a 24 MPIP sensor? A bad dream?

11-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although the K-5 is worthy of its praise with these high scores, how does a camera like the new Canon 60D get such excellent reviews but score so low in the High ISO results on the Dxo website?

The Canon 60D only scored a little better overall compared to my K200d. It makes me wonder how to interpret these scores (although, I know "only as a guide") into real world results.
11-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #18
Pentaxian

The 60D is "advanced entry level" or something with extra-juicy video. Simple menus and a familiar name. A sport-styled family sedan (saloon).

I don't think that 60D owners are spending much time worrying about DR or how good an ISO 25200 raw image can look with correct PP. I'm not sure that many of the 60D's target market would understand that sentence. Correct me if this sounds elitist ....
11-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PinarelloOnly Quote
Although the K-5 is worthy of its praise with these high scores, how does a camera like the new Canon 60D get such excellent reviews but score so low in the High ISO results on the Dxo website?

The Canon 60D only scored a little better overall compared to my K200d. It makes me wonder how to interpret these scores (although, I know "only as a guide") into real world results.

60D is below the 50D and 7D in quality and performance.

11-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
No offense intended. I'm glad that you are a secure individual, but I can assure you that there are many who are not and who are unhappy when they perceive that someone else has something better than they, even if what they have is very good. There are psychological studies showing that people tend to feel poor mainly in relation to others having more. If they are unaware of having less, they are more likely to feel satisfied. I think that we have all seen or felt these dynamics in our own lives.

Rob
That's just absurd. Until a couple of weeks ago the D90 was the DXO APS winner. Canon owners didn't feel inferior because of that score. They won't feel inferior because of this one. The 7D is a superb camera that takes excellent photos. No, it doesn't have the dynamic range of the K-5, but it's still more than good enough for most people. Also, it's the best video DSLR out, much more mature in that regard than the K-5.

New sensors come out every two or three years. Pentax did a great job with the electronics supporting the Sony sensor, very marginally better than Nikon did with the D7k. Call it a photo finish. Just go out and take some pictures and forget the fan boy silliness.
11-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #21
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by PinarelloOnly Quote

Well, DxO scores are just a part of what goes into an image. A lot more things have to happen and the way the 60D handles the image afterwards still produces great images.
11-08-2010, 11:41 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
That's just absurd. Until a couple of weeks ago the D90 was the DXO APS winner. Canon owners didn't feel inferior because of that score. They won't feel inferior because of this one. The 7D is a superb camera that takes excellent photos. No, it doesn't have the dynamic range of the K-5, but it's still more than good enough for most people. Also, it's the best video DSLR out, much more mature in that regard than the K-5.

New sensors come out every two or three years. Pentax did a great job with the electronics supporting the Sony sensor, very marginally better than Nikon did with the D7k. Call it a photo finish. Just go out and take some pictures and forget the fan boy silliness.
Coming from someone who owns both systems I don't feel like the 7D is a peice of trash now. Nor the K7 for that matter. I bought it mostly for the AF performance and ISO. ISO now being bested by K5 but very good on 7D (think kx). Also the K5 is showing no indication of having better AF-C performance as of yet. It stopped hunting when you focus but thats much different that being able to follow a bird or airplane around in the sky getting almost all images in focus, that is something I couldn't do with K7 and doubt K5 will match without a massive redesign of the AF system. In the end the K7 and 7D images look nearly the same after you post process them unless you blow up 100% and pixel peep the heck out of it. I know when I show my own pictures nobody gives a damn what camera I shot it with nor can most tell if I used a p/s or slr.

From what Im seeing the Nikon has basically the same performance minus the weatherproofing. Nikon probably has better AF performance. For the Canon users all they need to do is wait and Canon will likely release something that outperforms the K5/D7000 in a year. Patience is key in hardware.