Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #46

I just sold my D700 and a bag full of lenses after much debating, mainly for two reasons. Weight and price. The Nikon system has great zooms, and honestly, if I was a zoom guy I would stick with the Nikon. But after being into digital photography for a relatively short period of time, I have come to realize that I am a prime guy, and after I started to move my Nikon system to primes, the weight was still bothering me. My system at the time of selling consisted of..

18-35 3.5-5.6 - This is actually a very good wide angle for Nikon.. very good quality without breaking the bank
50mm 1.8
85mm 1.8
100mm Zeiss Makro Planar F/2
105 DC
70-300 3.5-5.6

I was planning on selling the DC and keeping the zeiss, but the zeiss was manual focus, and I would miss some shots because of that, so I decided to keep both the DC and the MP to cover that range.

After a recent trip I realized I just didn't enjoy carrying my bag with me. I would have to make "decisions" on what to take, and would end up leaving the 50/85/105DC at home or hotel.. and my bag was STILL heavy ( with extra batteries, filters, ..every ounce adds up ). I have a Crumpler 8 Million Dollar Home jammed full, and I was only carrying 4 lenses... and the body with filters and extra batteries.

The D700 is a hell of a camera. If you have the money, and you prefer zooms, the D700 with the three kings is hard to beat for performance. Be prepared to have $8,000 so you can buy the 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 and the D700 and be prepared to not enjoy carrying all three lenses in your bag. It will be very heavy. Or, if you prefer fast primes, nikon has those as well.. and they are SUPER expensive, and big.

If you are a prime guy, Canon has more primes, and they also have a larger selection of lenses in general.. from primes, to consumer primes ( read cheaper ), and they also have a larger selection of zooms. The issue here is the mid level full frame camera 5D MK II has less than desirable AF. For a $2600 camera, I think the auto focus should be as good as the 7D, but canon likes to dummy down their cameras and piss people off buy putting better auto focus in their cheaper cameras. Funny.

Now, if you like a mix of performance with small compact primes, nothing beats the Pentax system. When I shot with my K20D, I didn't care much for the Af performance, but it seems that the K-5 has improved here. If this is in fact the case, for me.. as a prime guy.. a K-5 with a few limited primes and one zoom will be a compact, convenient kit. A Kit that I will TAKE WITH ME.. not leave at home.

A more fair comparison for you.. perhaps would be.. should you consider the D7000 or the K-5. That will make your decision a bit harder, but you should at least look at it. The Nikon system does have a few nice lenses that won't break the bank.. like the 50mm 1.8, 35mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 70-300 Vr.. etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by conradcjc Quote
Ok.. so after doing some re-thinking and taking into consideration the responses I received in this thread. Here is something new to look at...

D700
24-120mm f/4
80-400mm f/4.5-.56
External Flash

K5
16-50mm f/2.8
60-250mm f/4
External Flash

This of course changes from my original post. Now it is a little more comparable. Which would you select?

Thanks again for all this wonderful feedback.

11-05-2010, 09:05 PM   #47

Photos: Albums
if it was me i'd get a 5D Mk II instead of a D700. However, i'll feel bad when they release something like a 5D MkIII or D800 anytime soon.

So i'd get a K-5 instead, I think it's the hottest camera right now.
11-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Keeping in mind that the K-5 sensor is just (almost) catching up to the sensor in the D700, and surpassing it slightly in one effective area (DR), then it's hard to see how "outdated" is anything but relative. And we're just talking about the sensor here - in everything else but video, the D700 utilizes more effective technology including perhaps the most important attribute (depending on what you need to shoot) - AF technology..
You forgot:

Cost of ownership.
Size and weight.
Resolution.
Shutter noise.
Dynamic Range.
Color depth.

All of which the K-5 outperform the D700 on.

The only thing, the D700 retains is noise sensitivity and even that is debatable when you look at the graph. Because Pentax played their card like sharks in this area too.

Taking thing a step further the K-5 not only encroaches on the D700 but on many other FF camera's too.

Why I remember in the not so distant past where many FF owners were boasting DR as the no. 1 performance advantage above DOF and optical quality.

Oh how the tides change...
11-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just happened to stumble across this web page:

Compare the Canon PowerShot SD600 vs Pentax K-5 - Snapsort

...as long as we're comparing...

11-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #50
Veteran Member

...or, just about equally tongue in cheek, they also do the direct comparison (bodies only, mind, which I concede defeats the point of this thread) as well:

Compare the Nikon D700 vs Pentax K-5 - Snapsort
11-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #51

try handling both bodies. ergonomics are an important factor people ignore. I could never use a canon slr for example because i hate everything abojut their menus and feel in hand
11-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
You forgot:

Cost of ownership.
Yes, if you do some inventory and 'cost of ownership' comes out to 11 grand, perhaps it's possible something went awry in that shopping trip?

QuoteQuote:
Size and weight.
Previous poster already mentioned that, and I agreed, but it's not that big of an issue unless you've saddled yourself with nothing but huge pro zooms, and have left yourself with no other lens options. (and this isn't really camera 'performance', more 'usability'.)

QuoteQuote:
Resolution.
Yep. Some would say 16 to 12mp doesn't make a bit of difference 99% of the time, but I often like to crop, and print big occasionally, and it probably would for me.

QuoteQuote:
Shutter noise.
Yes, can be a biggie in some situations. I loved the quieter shutter on the K-7 I used for a week.

QuoteQuote:
Dynamic Range.
Color depth.
That advantage isn't that big, but it's notable that there is an advantage for aps-c here. Still, buying a camera based on this delta alone would be dubious, IMO.

Some other 'performance & usability' considerations:

AF lock, esp in low light
AF tracking (51 pts, & processing keeps up)
DOF control
Power up, shutter lag, VF blackout
Card read/write, buffer clearing
8fps with grip
VF itself
Metering
Flash
Pretty slick Menuing ingenuity saves time (although more subjective)

John, what I don't get is why you still have the D700 now, instead of the k-5? Surely you could sell out & buy the k-5 at this point? What's keeping you from doing so? It would be a shame to let all that self-convincing go to waste! (really, what's keeping you with Nikon, I'm curious?)

As for myself, I'll probably end up with a K-5 to replace my K20D next summer. My main hair-pulling quandry is going to be if I can keep myself from upgrading the D700 to the D800 after that baby hits DxO next year.

11-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #53
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If instead of 28-300 you would go for likes of 24-70/2.8, Nikon (as a system) becomes favorable. Also, despite the scores, what really counts is real life photography, and especially prints. I've seen some A3 size prints from D700 and Nikkor 24-70/2.8 and frankly, they are outstanding. But don't forget to factor in the man behind the camera. If you favor small size, weather resistance and in-body shake reduction, then it is Pentax who gets on top.

11-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #54
Pentaxian

John, what I don't get is why you still have the D700 now, instead of the k-5? Surely you could sell out & buy the k-5 at this point? What's keeping you from doing so? It would be a shame to let all that self-convincing go to waste! (really, what's keeping you with Nikon, I'm curious?)
I'm actually working off two K20 kits(and a backup).
I purchased the D700 purely out of spite because I was frustrated at the state of Pentax with respect to my own shooting needs. However... I really didn't do my homework and once I got the unit in my hands, I realized that it exceeded my working budget in every way conceivable. Though without a doubt, I wanted the performance. I just can't afford to outfit and run 2 x D700's and a backup unit.

So the K-5 comes as a welcomed relief for me in this sense.
Though I won't be in a position to upgrade my kits until Spring because I chose to buy some nifty woodworking tools(12" miter saw and a cabinet makers table saw) for my shop this winter(). So it looks like I won't be covering any skating events with the K-5 this winter as I had hoped.

Either way, I'm really happy Pentax has come through this year with the K-5.
Because, as much as I liked the D700, it just wasn't a good fit for my own needs at this time.

Now... if/when the D800 comes out... I really can't say...

QuoteQuote:
As for myself, I'll probably end up with a K-5 to replace my K20D next summer. My main hair-pulling quandry is going to be if I can keep myself from upgrading the D700 to the D800 after that baby hits DxO next year. .
Same here, and were most likely going to grab a pair in spring. I think were going to keep a K20D on hand as a backup, But I doubt anyones going to rush using it for anything other than absolute desperation! In fact, I can't even look at my K20's right now, they are just that desperate looking against the new K-5!
11-05-2010, 11:40 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Owning both, I can say with confidence that the D700 is a better camera. It's also a bigger, heavier, and more expensive camera.

If I'm going walking around town I'm going to be more likely to pick up the K-5. If I'm going to shoot the motorcycle races, it's the D700 that's coming with me, grip and Sigma 100-300/4 attached, all 7lbs of kit. :P

The K-5 is a damn sight closer than the K-7 to the D700 in terms of performance and IQ, but it's not quite there.
11-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
In fact, I can't even look at my K20's right now, they are just that desperate looking against the new K-5!

'Jensr' (dpreview) inspires me when I have those kinds of thoughts. Here's a guy who could afford any camera he wants, but he's stuck it out with the *istDS, because it meets his needs - it's enough camera for him. He simply works on his photographic skills to get better images. What an anarchist.

Check this thread out ---> 5 years with the *ist DS

11-05-2010, 11:53 PM   #57
Inactive Account

'Jensr' (dpreview) inspires me when I have those kinds of thoughts. Here's a guy who could afford any camera he wants, but he's stuck it out with the *istDS, because it meets his needs - it's enough camera for him. He simply works on his photographic skills to get better images. What an anarchist.

Check this thread out ---> 5 years with the *ist DS

Thats impressive.
11-05-2010, 11:54 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for linking the *ist DS thread. It's very inspiring and makes me feel I need to explore "photography" as a whole more versus upgrading to the latest and greatest. Though the K-5 is screaming "buy me", I definitely need to explore more with my K-x/K-7 combo, especially after barely having 1 year under my belt.
11-06-2010, 12:04 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
Thanks for linking the *ist DS thread. It's very inspiring and makes me feel I need to explore "photography" as a whole more versus upgrading to the latest and greatest. Though the K-5 is screaming "buy me", I definitely need to explore more with my K-x/K-7 combo, especially after barely having 1 year under my belt.

I need more experience too before I jump the gun!
11-06-2010, 12:09 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Check this thread out ---> 5 years with the *ist DS.
Respect!