Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Anyone planning on testing the metering modes for the K-5?

Just curious as not much has been mentioned about the metering of the K-5. Or if someone did I missed it...just most for those who can...

11-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What kind of testing are you expecting? I've used all three and they work as expected...
11-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
oh, not sure, just anything to make sure, show, all of the modes work as intended. I have assumed things from Pentax in the past so figure leave no questions unasked. So far I don't see anyone paying attention or mentioning what metering is being used in a shot. And since we have no idea if the changed anything or not I was thinking more focused testing would be worthwhile.
11-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

OP, I am sure your question is innocent enough, but I have to ask, when has a camera metering system ever been an issue? Sure, some Pentax bodies have generally be known to slightly under expose to retain highlights, or meter a little differently with fully manual lenses, but I've never ever heard of a metering 'issue'. Metering works fine here too BTW.

11-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I had some feedback that the K-5 tends to be very conservative in exposure i.e. tends to underexpose.
Most of what I photograph is in bright sunlight.
A minor wrinkle, as once I understand the gear, I'll have a better idea what E/V compensation to apply.
But its still a matter of interest how true that comment is... Less than 1 E/V required compensation is a minor issue, more than 1 E/V becomes a concern to me...
11-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
I had some feedback that the K-5 tends to be very conservative in exposure i.e. tends to underexpose.
Most of what I photograph is in bright sunlight.
A minor wrinkle, as once I understand the gear, I'll have a better idea what E/V compensation to apply.
But its still a matter of interest how true that comment is... Less than 1 E/V required compensation is a minor issue, more than 1 E/V becomes a concern to me...
It does underexpose slightly, I dial in +.3 EV most of the time.
11-06-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Judging by the last two replies, I think the OP's question is warranted.

I would ask if there is any tilt in the viewfinder of the K-5 like in my K10D, but that is for another topic.

Jason

11-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Judging by the last two replies, I think the OP's question is warranted.

I would ask if there is any tilt in the viewfinder of the K-5 like in my K10D, but that is for another topic.

Jason
I haven't noticed that before or since the k10d (dl...k10d...k20, kx, k7, k5). I always thought it was just me and never tested my k10d for it, but it was definitely there looking back. I think the issue was addressed and the tolerances tightened up following that body.
11-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I haven't noticed that before or since the k10d (dl...k10d...k20, kx, k7, k5). I always thought it was just me and never tested my k10d for it, but it was definitely there looking back. I think the issue was addressed and the tolerances tightened up following that body.
I thought so, my K-7 is dead on.

Jason