Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I expect this allows the lens mount to break free of the camera preventing dammage to the lens should the lens and the camera get yanked on the wrong way.
That makes sense. The whole metal lens mount ring seems to be a separate component, not part of the whole case casting. The lens mount ring seems to have a shallow notch cut into it's rim too - perhaps it also screws or twists slightly onto some tabs on the body casting, and then the mount ring is attached to the front housing block (or whatever that black thing behind the mount ring is) via those screws.

11-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
that black thing behind the mount ring is
Looks like they screw into the mirror-box.
Cool images, so that is what my K7 looks like, or at least close to it.
Thank`s for the link OP.
11-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The plastic support is a Glass filled composite part who is more stable than metal in this case. They can maintain dimension up to 1/10000 . Not feasible in metal casting
11-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums

not sure if this will show, but I am curious about the build of the A* 135mm 1.8 and the lens in front of the silver DA 40mm Ltd.

Attached Images

11-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pixel r0n1n Quote

not sure if this will show, but I am curious about the build of the A* 135mm 1.8 and the lens in front of the silver DA 40mm Ltd.
Well, a sort of design prototype silver DA 40mm Ltd. was made for the 50th anniversary (see here for more). The lens in front of it is simply the

Fish-Eye-Takumar 18mm F11 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database

As to that A*135, hmm. I cannot recall seeing one like that either. I do not recall Pentax ever using that kind of grip on any lens. The barrel paint (and color of the numbers) do resemble the A*300 (SMC Pentax-A* 300mm F2.8 ED [IF] Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database).
11-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure about the rest of you, but seeing a K-5 sawed in half down the middle makes me all sorts of squeamish.
11-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I like that Pentax is still making clear promo bodies for show. The earliest I know of would be the SFX in clear. Does anyone know when Pentax started to show clear bodies at the dealers?
They were doing it long before the SFX. I've definitely seen clear Auto 110's, which, due to the film being contained in the plastic cartridge, were fully functional.

I know I've seen clear M-series cameras, and I think I even saw a clear Spotmatic, once, a long time ago.

I suspect that the clear K-5 is fully functional, as well. The light/mirror box is NOT made of clear plastic, so there would be no light leaks.

I'd love to see one at a dealer. Of course, I'd love to see ANY Pentax camera at a dealer.

11-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
The plastic support is a Glass filled composite part who is more stable than metal in this case. They can maintain dimension up to 1/10000 . Not feasible in metal casting
goofball engineers, always matching material properties to function...

Whats wrong with good old cast iron i ask?
11-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I f you want to get the 1/10000 , you need extra machining and extra cost
11-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote

Anyone else gets reminded of Terminator when looking at this image?

Well, given the beast, I easily see it crunching Nikons' and Canons' skulls into gravel with a nasty sneer...
Should have made the AF assist lamp bright red!
You must of been reading my mind dlacouture!

11-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL. What's wrong with bronze too. Or wood.
11-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #27
Forum Member

Whilst Pentax is from Japan, I think its more similar to a Gundam kit with clear body parts
11-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like that Pentax is still making clear promo bodies for show. The earliest I know of would be the SFX in clear. Does anyone know when Pentax started to show clear bodies at the dealers?
I don't know tyhe answer to that, but the first SLR I ever saw was an early Pentax cut in half through lens and pentaprism in a local museum. I was only a boy and very inpressed!
11-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote

Anyone else gets reminded of Terminator when looking at this image?

Well, given the beast, I easily see it crunching Nikons' and Canons' skulls into gravel with a nasty sneer...
Should have made the AF assist lamp bright red!
Exactly what was crossing my mind when I first saw that pic . The scene when the metal skeleton walking out of the fire of the burning truck .
11-07-2010, 04:26 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How DO they do that???

Thanks to the OP for providing this link!

I guess, my question is .... though slightly off topic ... how exactly DO they create the cutaways in the first place? They obviously don't "saw" a body in half, as they would deform the hell out of it.... do they laser individual parts in half and then assemble it? Just curious I guess.

I gotta tell ya, my time frame for getting a K5 has moved up about 11 months after reading all the positive reviews on this new body!