Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2010, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 Low ISO Noise ----- Not!

I was outside taking photos for the SIN game and some of my photos came out a little underexposed (entirely my fault, not the camera). Normally, I'd consider this shot junk and send it to the scrap bin. However,

Camera Pentax K-5
Exposure 0.002 sec (1/640)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 85 mm
ISO Speed 80
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash Off, Did not fire

This is pushed 3 stops and has had the fill light boosted to about 75% in ACR... Go ahead and click the fixed picture to pixel peep if you wish.. There Is a slight amount of NR applied in ACR but normally something like this would be unserviceable.

Pretty impressive... To me anyway.

11-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Looks like that's the impressive dynamic range at work right there! Stunning clarity in both!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yeah, I've thought twice now before ditching shots that look like severely under-exposed throw aways when shooting the K5.
11-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Pretty impressive... To me anyway.
Impressive indeed. Looks like there will be no need for graduated ND filters for landscape photography at the base ISO: just expose for the sun and push the remaining black areas to beautiful landscapes.....

11-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, no graduated filters... and no tripod as well. Photograhy is changing...
11-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Photograhy is changing...
Yeah, I imagine a lot of people who may be new to photography will pick up the K-5 now and not have to worry as much about learning proper exposure and technique, because they will be aware that they have so much latitude in PP with the K-5. It's going to be a very accommodating camera indeed to a wide range of users.
11-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Looks like that's the impressive dynamic range at work right there! Stunning clarity in both!
I have been saying all along that the K-5's DR is more impressive than its high ISO noise levels. This photo (and the DxO Mark measurements of DR) only confirm that fact. It is nice to be able to shoot in low light but even nicer to retain shadow detail like this in any light. Well done. Can't wait for Capture One to support the K-5.

Rob

11-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
Impressive indeed. Looks like there will be no need for graduated ND filters for landscape photography at the base ISO: just expose for the sun and push the remaining black areas to beautiful landscapes.....
Also much less need for HDR. I'm not saying that it will become completely superfluous, just unnecessary for many high contrast photos.

Rob
11-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
This is pushed 3 stops and has had the fill light boosted to about 75% in ACR... Go ahead and click the fixed picture to pixel peep if you wish.. There Is a slight amount of NR applied in ACR but normally something like this would be unserviceable.
sorry for being such a novice but i dont understand what you did here...
is the two images really the same shot?... what kind of software?
11-06-2010, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by teedee Quote
sorry for being such a novice but i dont understand what you did here...
is the two images really the same shot?... what kind of software?
If I understand it right, the second, bright/clear shot is the after. ACR is a component of photoshop that handles RAW files, and with this particular file, he boosted the exposure by 3 stops as well as cranking up the fill light - something that with many/most cameras would yield an unusable/extremely noisy image. What's impressive about this is the K-5's produced a file that can be pushed with such extreme settings and is still clean.
11-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Yeah, I've given my K5 its first run today, and I'm impressed with the results.

It's really not that far from what I'm used to with negative film, where dynamic range is huge.
I really feel that DSLRs have reached at last a satisfying level, after two years of K10, K20, K7 and Kx...
11-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
If I understand it right, the second, bright/clear shot is the after. ACR is a component of photoshop that handles RAW files, and with this particular file, he boosted the exposure by 3 stops as well as cranking up the fill light - something that with many/most cameras would yield an unusable/extremely noisy image. What's impressive about this is the K-5's produced a file that can be pushed with such extreme settings and is still clean.
You understand perfectly. That's exactly the case.

Last edited by JeffJS; 11-06-2010 at 06:00 PM.
11-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Great Shot. In my laptop's screen, it looks like it been HDR'D ('D Pastence).
It means K-5 really has a good dynamic range.
11-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #14

Amazing.

There is no way I could do this with my K10D, not in a million years.
There would be major amounts of magenta discoloration in the formerly-dark areas and the noise would be off the scale.
11-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #15
Forum Member

now i understand too... thank you!