Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
HDMI output

I would like to have Pentax to make an adjustment to the output true the HDMI cable for using a Field Monitor. At the moment in LiveView its fine, and replaying a movie is also good. But in recording the output is squeesd for making space for the info of the camera-settings and that way it is not handy for turning on the ring on the lens to focus on some other point in the scene.

Here's a little test so you can see what I mean.

YouTube - Pentax K-5 HDMI-output to a Field Monitor
I actually prefer seeing all the settings when I am recording a movie clip.
More info during recording is good. So I think it is fine as it is.

11-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #137
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

I'd like to remind what I actually tried to achieve in my first post where it actually all started. I tried to turn a shopping list where "everything goes" into a moderated "short list" of a few points which do really matter to us and which may be worth to communicate. And to avoid any misunderstanding, not my list. I just tried to help (and not only talk) and propose a first iteration to such a short list. This effort was then made impossible by Parallax. I've no problem with that, YMMV. But I don't want to be bashed for trying to help.
Falk, do you not see a problem with that? Think about what you just wrote there. "I tried to turn a shopping list................ into a moderated short list............. which may be worth to communicate............. It wasn't your thread, nobody asked you to moderate it, and what is worth communicating is not a judgment for you to make. You have an incredible amount of knowledge about the technical aspects of the hardware and software. I am actually somewhat envious. The problem here is that you come across as not having any respect for, or even awareness of, the fact that others are entitled to an opinion, just as you are. The fact that someone's opinion, or viewpoint, or desires differ from yours, doesn't mean that they should be dismissed out of hand. The fact that there is a thread on a subject that you have particular expertise in, doesn't mean that you get to take control of the thread and make judgments as to the value of the posts in it. You have made significant contributions to this forum and those contributions would be even more laudable if you were a little more mindful of the fact that other people's contributions are valid, and valuable as well.
11-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
This is what I believe Bats was referring to when he asked for a timer...
Mike, I absolutely second the wish for a timer.

Nonetheless, and absolutely uncorrelated to this thread, I think it is amazing that vendors restrict their bulb mode to some arbitrary time. This restriction came from the time where a mechanical spring-driven exposure time clock ran out. And today, even the Nikon D3 series still has the 30s limit. It became so second nature that we stopped to question it.

---------- Post added 11-19-10 at 03:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Falk, do you not see a problem with that? Think about what you just wrote there. "I tried to turn a shopping list................ into a moderated short list............. which may be worth to communicate............. It wasn't your thread, nobody asked you to moderate it, and what is worth communicating is not a judgment for you to make.
I see a problem with what you insinuate.

If what you insinuate would apply I would see a problem. But is doesn't. And it doesn't help to put arbitrary words into boldface.

My opinion is just yet another opinion I don't value more than anybody else's opinion. Nowhere did I say my opinion should matter more than others. Nowhere did I say other opinions would weight less. Where on earth do you get all your negativity from? It's up to others to decide what they like and what they don't.

And yes, it was and it is my opinion that a firmware feature list communicated to Pentax should be moderated (in order to have an impact). Not by me (where did you read it would be me to moderate?). I even proposed a polling thread for the top ten or so features after the list is shortened enough to do a poll. Again not by me. And that an unmoderated feature list isn't worth to be communicated to Pentax is my opinion, not my judgement. I'm no judge. If I were to make the judgement, I would have to collect all sort of opinions first. BTW, I only put the terms "I think that" or IMHO in a post if it's not obvious anyway, i.e., in statements which could be facts but are opinions actually. A firmware feature short list cannot be fact.

I made an initial contribution to get the stone rolling. You need a starting point or it would never happen. And as such, I had to emphasize feature wishes and deemphasize others in a hope others would do the same. I planned that to be my only contribution to this thread before you decided to read stuff into my posts I never said or meant.

If you feel that an opinion, only because it is from me, appears to be a judgement then this is your personal problem with me. And as a moderator, you have to keep it private then. Because other than me, you are a judge. Moreover, I ask you to reread my posts in this thread with a positive attitude and you'll find I said nothing of what you accuse me to have said. And only because Adam hasn't yet found a technical way to add you to my ignore list doesn't mean I will continue the discussion. I'll try the mental ignore feature now

Last edited by falconeye; 11-18-2010 at 07:24 PM.
11-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #139

Hey, guys. Sorry this sidetracked into a bit of an argument. Let me tiptoe around that and just focus on the firmware request.

A timer would be really useful when I'm shooting fireworks. My approach has been to first determine an ideal exposure just before the fireworks start. Then, during the show, take a series of bulb shots plus or minus 15-20% in duration based on what the fireworks are doing rather than on that strictly predetermined time. I know that as long as I stay within, say, 15-20% of the predetermined time, I know I can get the shot I want and still have the latitude to make exposure corrections in post processing.

The same is true when shooting planes at night. Sometimes I need to keep the shutter open 10-20% longer than my original plan (or longer than the camera would predetermine) so I can get a light trail that fills the frame. Those darned jets don't always take off at the same speed :-) Having a timer would let me know whether I'm close to my ideal exposure or whether I'm shooting so long that I'm going to blow the highlights beyond repair.

I also like Falk's suggestion to dial in a bulb / manual exposure time... Why not? It's a great idea. I'd love to turn around and work on something else without having to keep an eye on the camera.

And yes, absolutely, how cool would it be to eliminate the 30-second limit on Aperture or Shutter Priority shots! Nice.

Last edited by bats; 11-19-2010 at 01:22 AM.
11-19-2010, 02:38 AM   #140
Pentaxian

HDMI output

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I actually prefer seeing all the settings when I am recording a movie clip.
More info during recording is good. So I think it is fine as it is.
are you using an external screen or are you referring to the backscreen 3"lcd of your camera?

For an external screen I prefer the most possible amount of detail and bigger screen.
11-19-2010, 03:26 AM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bats Quote
A timer would be really useful when I'm shooting fireworks.
Great shot and great image idea.

I agree (and didn't say otherwise), the timer is a great thing to have.

Where would you put it? Top LCD, illuminated or illumination off, rear LCD?
I assume non-illuminated top LCD would be best to preserve night vision and battery life (and you proposed top LCD indeed). Would it be visible at night? Maybe not but there may be no other way to do it. Which emphasizes the feature wish again that some button should activate top LCD illumination.
11-19-2010, 03:39 AM   #142
Col
Veteran Member

I'd just have the timer in red on the back screen. Thus I can still see it whilst sitting indoors on a linked monitor. Coming from the K20, the one push on and one push off with the IR remote is a dream come true.
11-19-2010, 04:21 AM   #143
Veteran Member

are you using an external screen or are you referring to the backscreen 3"lcd of your camera?

For an external screen I prefer the most possible amount of detail and bigger screen.
Well I plugged it into an external LCD monitor. Anyway I feel this is a trivial issue and it depends on personal preference.

11-19-2010, 07:24 AM   #144
Pentaxian

HDMI-output

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Well I plugged it into an external LCD monitor. Anyway I feel this is a trivial issue and it depends on personal preference.
well maybe trivial to you, but Canon made a same fix in firmware for their 7D, so there is a use for those wo want to use a field monitor during filming for manual focus adjustment.

Not a uge change, since there are two way's to fix: either make the output vga or make it widescreen wich fills the screen..
11-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #145
Veteran Member

Not a uge change, since there are two way's to fix: either make the output vga or make it widescreen wich fills the screen..
The rear-LCD screen resolution is 640x480 (640x360 in 16:9 -> black bars). The HDMI output is restrained to that if not in playback mode where AFAIK the full video resolution is supported.

So, the best solution might be a 3x loupe during video recording which shows a an overlay window with in 3x zoom which then provides a 1:1 pixel view via live HDMI. This overlay could span 1/3 of the screen and 1/9 of the scene and be moved around using the cursor buttons. The hardware should allow to do so and IMHO this is a very good idea to add to the firmware indeed. To just remove the black borders is a first step but it is in conflict with the 16:9 aspect ratio on a 4:3 rear LCD.
11-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #146
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
not that i'd use it a lot but tethering would be nice for studio work (it'd be nice on the 645d as well but i don't believe it's available yet)
11-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #147

If this is just updates to the K-5 (and also sidestepping the arguments):

Manual video controls
Tethering
HDMI aspect while recording (would be great if it was better than 480p but that may not be possible with the current processor, the 7D does this but it has two procs to the K-5's one)
Autofocus in movie mode--I don't expect much here, but it would be a nice option.
11-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #148
Pentaxian

I'd like to see a brass band with Tubas and Cornets leap out of the camera and play a rousing Sousa march to signal completion of firmware updates.
11-19-2010, 08:28 AM   #149
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'd like to see a brass band with Tubas and Cornets leap out of the camera and play a rousing Sousa march to signal completion of firmware updates.

hahaha

great me too
11-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #150

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
*LOL*

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Great shot and great image idea. I agree (and didn't say otherwise), the timer is a great thing to have. Where would you put it? Top LCD, illuminated or illumination off, rear LCD? I assume non-illuminated top LCD would be best to preserve night vision and battery life (and you proposed top LCD indeed). Would it be visible at night? Maybe not but there may be no other way to do it. Which emphasizes the feature wish again that some button should activate top LCD illumination.
Either place would work for me. I haven't run into battery issues when shooting at night yet but I always head out with a fresh pair of fully charged batteries. But I can understand the need to preserve battery life and keep illumination levels low.