Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #181
Veteran Member

Does anyone know if we can actually expect to see a firmware update after the first one we got? I just ordered my K-5, so I'm just curious if an update has been promised or if it is just speculation.

Note: I understand what would be in the firmware is definitely speculation, I'm just curious if an update in general was promised.

12-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #182
Pentaxian

no promise , firmware come when Pentax feel is needed
12-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #183
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've heard that new firmware would fix AF in low light with incandescent lamps.
12-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #184
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Got another wish : permit MEMORY settings to be saved in the USER modes, so as to make them more dynamic...
This way you have even more control on what you want in your USER mode!

And to paraphrase myself again : put the damn movie mode on the Fx button, or on the Dof preview switch, with same controls as in the current Stills mode.

M mode + Movie button = full control.
Av mode + movie button = fixed aperture.
P mode + movie button = automatic.

Cannot be easier.

Those interested with manual movie controls will use this (in a USER mode, maybe?), the rest will just use the camera like now.

12-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #185

Option to activate shutter on grip only when body is rotated 90 degree CW or CCW. Person with big hands could accidentally activate shutter on grip when holding camera horizontally.
12-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #186
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree that it is asking for trouble leaving both shutter releases turned on since it is easy to activate the vertical release if not careful. Many mysterious camera issues happened because I had the vertical release turned on If I am using the vertical, I turn it on and then turn it off when not using it. But I can see if somebody is in the thick of things with many rapid orientation changes, then they would both likely be on. Somehow, having an orientation-aware switch would seem to be potentially finicky, though.
12-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #187
Veteran Member

Would be nice to see either:

1)an additional AutoISO setting that allows to define the minimum shutter speed.

2)an additional custom setting that would change the Shutter Speed value in TAv mode into the "minimum allowable shutter speed" value...

Sport/bird shooters would understand....
12-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #188
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Would be nice to see either:

1)an additional AutoISO setting that allows to define the minimum shutter speed.

2)an additional custom setting that would change the Shutter Speed value in TAv mode into the "minimum allowable shutter speed" value...

Sport/bird shooters would understand....
Anyone that does sports would like this as well I'd assume

12-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #189
Site Supporter

Not sure I understand, Alexey. TAv implies that you are in control of the shutter speed.
12-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Okay, here's one I thought of today - how about a built-in dof calculator? Not sure how it would work, but with that screen on the back there's plenty of real estate. Maybe set the aperture, camera knows focal length - calculate dof and show it plus hyperfocal distance. Would save carrying around charts or your own separate calculator.
I really like this idea - should be simple enough yes?

Plus, none of the other makes do it, another first for Pentax! Way more useful than those "filters".

Yes, yes, yes. One of the biggest losses with digital lenses is a DOF scale. With the extended snout holding the built-in flash, it's also tough to see the DOF scale on film era lenses.
12-14-2010, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #191
Pentaxian

I would also like the K-5 to capture enough solar energy to reduce world-wide fossil fuel use by 50%.
12-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #192
Veteran Member

A hyper focal length calculator would be nuts if they could put it on there, but I think that falls under this category:

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
I would also like the K-5 to capture enough solar energy to reduce world-wide fossil fuel use by 50%.
12-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #193

Having manual video controls would seriously do it for me.
12-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Not sure I understand, Alexey. TAv implies that you are in control of the shutter speed.
If I wanted to be in full control of the shutter speed, i'd have used the M mode... howerver... let's say I'm shooting football in broad day light... minimum shooter speed to freeze the action is 1/500th... so I'd love to set iso to AUTO, shooter speed to minimum of 1/500th and only have Aperture to worry about...

What happens very often on a sunny day, even at f/11 at minimum iso, 1/500th is too slow... so pure TAv isn't good enough... For sports and birding it is essential to be able to define the lower shutter speed limit, but with no restriction of the high end... 1/8000th is still ok if iso is at minimum and i'm using the desired aperture value...
12-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #195
Site Supporter

Yes, that would need a redesign of TAv. I just set the speed to the minimum I need in TAv and let the ISO go where it may.