Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
If I wanted to be in full control of the shutter speed, i'd have used the M mode... howerver... let's say I'm shooting football in broad day light... minimum shooter speed to freeze the action is 1/500th... so I'd love to set iso to AUTO, shooter speed to minimum of 1/500th and only have Aperture to worry about...

What happens very often on a sunny day, even at f/11 at minimum iso, 1/500th is too slow... so pure TAv isn't good enough... For sports and birding it is essential to be able to define the lower shutter speed limit, but with no restriction of the high end... 1/8000th is still ok if iso is at minimum and i'm using the desired aperture value...
Well, you'll find that playing with the Program line and Auto-iso settings can do that for you...
If you choose "Fast Action" (the running man icon), the camera will try to stay above 1/500 (in the limited tests I've made).
Then Auto-iso will allow tweaking this : "Slow" will lower the speed to 1/250, "Fast" will raise it to 1/1000.

EDIT : of course this would mean letting the camera handle the aperture too (it will keep it quite wide open, but not to the max value)...
If you absolutely want to specify an aperture in a wildly changing situation, then you're out of luck!

Last edited by dlacouture; 12-15-2010 at 12:37 AM.
12-15-2010, 07:48 AM   #197
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Yes, that would need a redesign of TAv. I just set the speed to the minimum I need in TAv and let the ISO go where it may.
I don't see it as re-designing, but as an improvement. What happens in a scenario when you're in TAv, but there's too much light for the current shutter and aperture settings and AutoISO is already at minimum? The camera will start over-exposing... With no hard upper shutters speed limit however, camera can just bump up the shutter speed... stupid simple and nothing to worry about...
12-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #198
Veteran Member

Hummm, and playing with Auto-iso settings in Av mode doesn't help?

In its standard setting, it will settle for something around 1/2xFL. Mine selects a 1/100 floor for a 50mm.
Pushing Auto-iso to "Fast" will double this value.

So, shooting with a 200mm will result in a 1/800 minimum speed (will check this tonight). Ok, maybe you don't necessarily shoot with a 200mm for sports... But it could be a start!
12-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #199
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Hummm, and playing with Auto-iso settings in Av mode doesn't help?

In its standard setting, it will settle for something around 1/2xFL. Mine selects a 1/100 floor for a 50mm.
Pushing Auto-iso to "Fast" will double this value.

So, shooting with a 200mm will result in a 1/800 minimum speed (will check this tonight). Ok, maybe you don't necessarily shoot with a 200mm for sports... But it could be a start!
In all honesty I haven't had the K5 long enough to run auto-iso through sports yet and get a good grip on its logics... but for what it's worth, as such auto-iso works beautifully for my daily tasks... It's for sports that there is a little "particularity"... I use anything from a 10-17 to 300/4 for it b.t.w... So no matter which lens, i'm always trying to keep the shutter speed above or equal to the minimum "action-freezing" limit at 1/500th... Not an issue for inside shooters... there's rarely enough light anyways... but when you're outside, shooting at f5.6-f11 at base iso at 1/500th-1/4000th is just another part of your day...

12-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #200
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Does the K5 allow for changing of auto focus points like the K7 and K20, or is it like the K7 was before the first firmware upgrade? I have my K7 set to change auto focus points without hitting OK first and that would be my preference with the K5 as I change auto focus points a lot.
12-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #201
Forum Member

-More than 5 users....
-back of the remote software.
12-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #202
Inactive Account

I think Pentax really needs to take a look at this list, the K-5 is a beautiful camera with so much potential, it's just caged up. The D7000 and K-5 are close competitors simply because of that. If Pentax adopts the suggestions, it will eliminate the competition of the K-5 and the D7000. Though the D7000 has a 39-point AF system, if you really need that many points what are you really trying to take a picture of?
12-22-2010, 02:49 AM   #203

Would like to see more manual control options in movie mode (like I already wanted for the K-7.. see here petition)..

- shutter-speed settable
- settable ISO-range, including fixed ISO

And oh.. I doubt that ISO will go beyond 3200 in movie mode.. could this be increased to say 6400+ if possible?

12-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #204
Inactive Account

Not sure if this has been said yet, but how about the addition of custom timers?
some times I take videos by myself where I need up to 30 seconds to get set. Saves both battery life, memory, and the trouble of editing the recording.
12-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by R0CKSTAR 3N3RGY Quote
Not sure if this has been said yet, but how about the addition of custom timers?
some times I take videos by myself where I need up to 30 seconds to get set. Saves both battery life, memory, and the trouble of editing the recording.
Humm, I think a cheap radio trigger would handle this quite nicely, no? Except if your hands are busy, then it can be troublesome...
12-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #206
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Humm, I think a cheap radio trigger would handle this quite nicely, no? Except if your hands are busy, then it can be troublesome...
Hmm, hadn't thought of that, but my hands are usually pretty full for most of my solo work. Plus the distance between the camera and myself may be too great for the remote.
12-23-2010, 03:20 AM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by R0CKSTAR 3N3RGY Quote
Hmm, hadn't thought of that, but my hands are usually pretty full for most of my solo work. Plus the distance between the camera and myself may be too great for the remote.
One cheap remote I bought had a range of about 10 meters, with the antenna retracted (for discretion). Once extended, I guess it could go to 20m easily...
12-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #208

Honestly, there are some good suggestions in that list... but before improving we should strongly suggest that Pentax FIX what they can via firmware first.

The biggest such issue I find is the Live-View display. It is complete not accurate and the histogram is that of the display, so equally useless. The really need to fix this and to make sure that the display is Exposure-Priority (shows the simulated exposure) in all modes. Canon does this and Sony does this in the non-automatic modes. If Pentax wants its live-view to be genuinely useful, they should fix this as their top priority.

I do have other suggestions for improvements but I'd rather not distract them until the fix this

- Itai
12-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #209
Veteran Member

improve the coding of the pictures ... they seem generally bigger in size than the competition (huffman coding parameters differ I guess) ... this would additionally increase the buffer
12-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #210

I cant really understand, why there is no manual controll of ISO and Shutter Setting in Videomode. That cant be difficult to implement.

Plz - I bought an expensive DSLR camera, because I want to controll the settings - and not because the auto-setting controll me (and my footage). This is what 100Ä cameras do. There people want 1 single button, that solves all problems. My father wants a camera with 1 button, that does all by itself. But not a camera that costs 1200Ä. ONLY 1 Videomode, and then a automaticmode.... I could cry.

plz plz plz plz plz plz plz pentax

give us controll over ISO - shutter is not that important, just 1/2*x - shutter is normally a fix thing. But the ISO.... I need that really hardly.

Plz bringt it soon.