QuoteOriginally posted by BETLOG Quote
I get the feeling it really doesn't help for anything slower than about 1/3sec
Are you surprized by this?

02-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #227
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Are you surprized by this?
No.
It was reassuring to feel it, to know it's actually working. But the shutterspeeds at which I was able to notice it were long enough that there is no way my hand oscillations would have matched the frequency of the Shake Reduction for very long; so at some point it becomes counterproductive. It might be useful if the Shake Reduction remained dynamic for the entire shutter open period, recalculating to track preselected points; however it feels like it simply picks a frequency and direction before shutter open and continues vibrating at that frequency till it shuts again. Which would be ok for short periods of mirror and tripod jitter, not so great for less consistent hand vibrations over slightly longer periods.
Can anyone confirm? It does just blindly vibrate... right?

I get the feeling I should just drop this, but first I will propose the following just to gauge opinion.
Suggestion:
Button Customization -> RAW/FX Button OR AF Button ... (both options might be useful too)
-> (new option) Shake Reduction on/off -> 'cancel after one shot' sub-option
02-22-2011, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #228

eagle-eye focus

Hello,
2 months after the purchase of K-5 (and two weeks waiting for a new K-5, the first camera had stains on the matrix) came to my mind a new idea.
first talk about the origin:
1. I had bee making Interior pictures where I had to sharpen a fairly dark element (radiator) AF in LV could not make it so after the shot I had to switch to normal mode, or sharpen by hand (Sigma 10-20 f/3.5). Manual focus mode LV is a tragedy, you have to zoom image of at least x6 to make sure that the blurring achieved is minimal, ie that it is sharp.
2. solution: the mode of "eagle-eye focus"
Many of you will know that the eagles have a double lens eye. center of eye is tele lens
So how to use it in K-5?
LV where the whole image is full frame + circle inside with the 6-10x zoom to focus. such mode allows anytime control all parameters
Best Regards

Last edited by PiotrKrochmal; 02-23-2011 at 12:16 AM. Reason: some dust from system :)
02-22-2011, 05:46 AM   #229
Inactive Account

I havent kept myself up to date on all the K-5 quirks, but mine doesnt rotate the pictures in play mode. Only in instant preview mode....

Does everyone has this? No biggie for me, but i hope they fix it....

02-22-2011, 05:53 AM - 2 Likes   #230

An option to shoot stills in 16:9 aspect ratio for compatibility with video.
02-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #231
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lowlight Quote
An option to shoot stills in 16:9 aspect ratio for compatibility with video.
That is a good idea.
02-23-2011, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #232
Veteran Member

Some very good suggestions here. What I'd like to see is full customizability of the camera, think foobar2000 customizable (if you can think of it, you can do it). Maybe with three different settings to choose how much customization options to show in the menus, the current options could be called "basic" and then there would also be "advanced" and "full".

Now that probably isn't going to happen, so more specifically I'd like to see an option to automatically turn the SR off at speeds higher than a chosen number for a chosen focal length. And also free the buttons on the camera so that you can choose whatever function to whichever button, the AF button for example is useless for me as I don't use AF lenses.

02-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #233
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
Now that probably isn't going to happen, so more specifically I'd like to see an option to automatically turn the SR off at speeds higher than a chosen number for a chosen focal length. And also free the buttons on the camera so that you can choose whatever function to whichever button, the AF button for example is useless for me as I don't use AF lenses.
Well, if only they could make the AF button a "Catch-Focus" button when in Manual focus mode, it would be great (and it would work with all lenses, from m42 to DAL).
02-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always set my AF button to "cancel AF", that way I have an easy way to get the AF out of the way if I'm shooting through branches, etc., and I need to focus manually.
02-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #235

Mine is an AF request....

Allow the user to switch between Screw Drive and SDM on SDM capable lenses. But people have been asking for this for a long time now, before the K5.
02-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #236
Veteran Member

I had another idea, not sure if this can already be done but in my quick search of the manual i didn't find anything.

ISO bracketing in the same way as the normal shuttertime bracket works. Set the time and aperture and then fire off with 2-5 different ISO settings at different levels.
02-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #237

Photos: Albums
focus bracketing

I made this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/134089-firmware-request-...racketing.html because I couldn't find the firmware suggestions thread! My eyes tend to jump over sticky threads

Basically, focus bracketing. This would be good for getting in-focus shots when using ultra-large apertures and shooting in low light. It would also be great for exposure stacked macro shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Ideally the amount of focus shift would change with DOF. Narrow DOF, small focus shift. So smaller shift when close focussed and wide aperture setting.
02-25-2011, 06:39 AM   #238

SDM lenses can use the screw drive?

QuoteOriginally posted by Donkeypunch Quote
Mine is an AF request....

Allow the user to switch between Screw Drive and SDM on SDM capable lenses. But people have been asking for this for a long time now, before the K5.
I don't own any SDM lenses but I thought the issue here was SDM lenses lack the mechanism to allow them to use the screw drive--at least the Pentax ones do. I thought that was why they wouldn't work with my K100D.
02-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #239
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The review conducted by DPReview and a couple of other reviews have been critical that Pentax did not include a Video button similar to the LV button. This should be an easy fix by allowing the FX button to be programmed to allow this feature for those who want it.
03-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #240
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
make the AF button a "Catch-Focus" button when in Manual focus mode
+1

Want: Ability to manually set 'lens focal length' to higher than 800mm, specifically because Pentax make a 1000mm f11. Even if Shake Reduction is ineffectual I want to retain the correct focal length exif data.