Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #76
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That is simply not possible with the current PRIME II processor.
I think so too...

11-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Most of the suggestions are probably impossible one way or another, but only Pentax would know. I'll leave the 60fps on the list for now. If you have definite proof it's not possible I'll take it off.
11-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #78
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Most of the suggestions are probably impossible one way or another, but only Pentax would know. I'll leave the 60fps on the list for now. If you have definite proof it's not possible I'll take it off.
will you send you suggestions to Pentax directly?

add my suggestion, please, about status screen
11-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
A "User Menu" where one can assign frequently used menu items.
I'm for that. And free up the unavailable menu options on the main menu - e.g. Cross Processing, Ext Bracket, Digital Filter, and HDR when you're shooring RAW. Use the menu slots for options that are available in RAW.

11-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I use fourth configurable character as first number: K5_0XXXX, then K5_1XXXX, K5_2XXXX and so on. Of course you have to manually change thet custom prefix every 10000 shots.
Yeah, tricky to do in the middle of a game! But not a bad idea.
11-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #81

Photos: Albums
I have heard you have to power down the camera and re-start to switch from grip battery to camera battery? If so, I want it fixed.
11-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
I have heard you have to power down the camera and re-start to switch from grip battery to camera battery? If so, I want it fixed.
I seriously doubt a firmware tweak could fix this.
11-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The first post has been updated.

11-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #84

Here are the ones i'm interested in, with my top requests in bold:

RAW
- true RAW histogram (3x)
- HDR images saved as RAW or TIFF

Movie Mode
- 1080p 24fps, 720p 24fps and 60fps (5x)
- AF during filming (3x)
- More manual control (4x)
- Allow the movie mode in the USER menu
- Allow movie recording in all modes (except X and B, of course), by a long press on LV.
- In movie mode, memorize two (or more) focus distances and allow instant change by pushing the AF button. (2x)
- HDR Video Mode

Flash
- HSS Flash ability (3x)
- Allow full P-TTL with manual lenses by firing the metering flash after the lens was stop-down (it works with m42s!).
- second curtain synch with manual lenses
- Ability to do trailing curtain sync with any flash / wireless trigger.

Buttons - Addition of SR on/off option to Fx button functionality. (5x)
- Addition of HDR Capture option to Fx button functionality. (3x)
- When viewing images, the RAW/Fx button or green button temporarily shows dark/bright areas or histogram. (3x)
- Two options for the Fx button for exposure bracketing.
- Ability to swap RAW/Fx and AF button functionality.
- Ability to assign the green button to instantly record a movie
- Top screen illumination activated by pressing the exposure compensation button (as on the K10D) (4x)
- In playback mode, holding the EC buttons shows detailed image information and a histogram.

Auto-Focus
- Do an automatic lens AF setting by comparing Contrast and Phase detect AF results. If the camera moved during the process, ditch the results...

Menu's and the like
- Ability to save an initial setting for User modes. Eg: If the mode is Tv, an initial shutter speed can be saved. (2x)
- USER menu where one can assign frequently used menu items. (3x)
- Option to enable autorotation during playback (that is separated from the option to record rotation data) (3x)
- Ability for the camera to count past 9999.
- Addition of white balance to the control panel
- An option to let the user pick 2 or 3 things that could be added to the Control panel.

Shooting options
- Option to set Continuous Shooting Lo speed (2x)
- Lower ISO (25, 50) (2x)
- the possibility of bracketing only the shutter speed when in M mode, leaving the aperture untouched. This is only possible at the moment with non-DA lenses that have aperture rings.
- Mirror lock-up for bracketing shots.
- Provide metering-line options to control the behavior of multi-segment metering (average, preserve-highlights, maximize-shadow-details).

Other
- Tethering (3x)
- Allow reset values to be specified for parameters reset at power-off.
- Additional option to turn off the status screen automatically after 3 or 10 seconds.
- Eye-Fi SD card compatibility

And my own:
- ISO 80 as part of default ISO range instead of extended (particularly because of the amazing DR at this setting!)
- low-battery freeze-up fixed
- ability to create and save a Dark Frame (shutter closed), which can then be used to do subtraction in PP.

Also, from johnbee:

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
However, I do think Pentax should have adjusted low level NR to come-on at/or around ISO5000 rather than ISO3200. Because I don't think it's doing any good at this level. If anything, they most likely initiated a common NR system in the K-5. However based on my own testing, the K-5 could benefit from a tweak imo. From what I can see, the ultimate would most likely look something like this: Low Level NR: OFF ISO80 - ISO4000 Low Level NR 1: ON ISO5000 - 10000 Low Level NR 2: ON ISO12800 - 25600 Low Level NR 3: ON ... ISO51200

Last edited by secateurs; 11-11-2010 at 08:05 PM.
11-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Ok, here I have one firmware feature I don't immediately dismiss:

The option to develop the JPG to the right, whatever be the degree of underexposure, with highlight compression as applied in D-Range mode.
11-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Also, from johnbee:[/B]
What's the problem exactly? You can set this manually, or is that something else?
11-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #87

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Quote Originally posted by secateurs Quote Also, from johnbee:[/B] What's the problem exactly? You can set this manually, or is that something else?
This is talking about in-camera NR that is applied to shots even when NR is set to OFF. This low-level NR is even being done to RAW files. JohnBee would be able to explain it better
11-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #88
Pentaxian

This is talking about in-camera NR that is applied to shots even when NR is set to OFF. This low-level NR is even being done to RAW files. JohnBee would be able to explain it better
Hi, someone just pointed-out this post to me now.

Low level NR is quite simply where the camera applies NR to curb of help control noise at higher sensitivities. And though we can turn: off NR in the camera, this would have no effect on this particular function(Low level NR).
The entire affair on the K-5, seems to start or take place at/or around ISO3200:
Prior to this, there appears to be no NR or adjustments present in RAW at all(non discernible at least) . And I used the term 'adjustments' here because there is good evidence to believe that Pentax also applies other processing in RAW at higher sensitivities(12800 - 51200: Tinge and banding corrections).

FTR. I think the ISO3200 low level NR comes at the detriment of detail for the K-5. Mainly because, there doesn't seem to be enough noise to warrant the filter at this level and detail inevitably takes a hit as a result.

Also, in conjunction with this, I'd say ISO6400 ends-up at the loosing end of the beneficiary table as well. Mainly because the NR strengths applied at this sensitivity seems to undermine the overall NR needed to control things. Which in turn comes at the cost of detail. An observation that can be seen by exposing for ISO6400 and shooting at base ISO(200) consequently. Then adjusting NR in both cases(manually and in camera) to compare values. The result which contrasts typical NR output is where local NR(non camera type) will produce consistently better output than the low level equivalent. A phenomenon, that can only be seen at this particular sensitivity.

ISO3200 on the other hand, looks far better with no low level NR at all. Which leads me to conclude that Pentax most likely designed the K-5 with a default noise control system over that of a fine-tuned system(my own opinion). Other than that, I found bi-passing NR to be very effective in increasing overall IQ on the K-5. So good in fact, that it is very hard to tell the difference between ISO3200 and ISO200 at 100%. ISO6400 is also excellent(almost as good as D700), though pixel definition from the K-5 is much more vulnerable to degradation than its FF RAW counterpart.

What's interesting in all of this, is that the D7K doesn't seem to apply NR like Pentax at all. Though without having access to low level NR samples, it is very difficult to substantiate anything with regard to NR in any meaningful way. However.. the D7K RAW files prove to have a much more destructive grain in contrast to the K-5 at high ISO's toe-to-toe(NR: off). Which becomes quite apparent at ISO12800 and beyond. However, in the D7K's defense, I'd say that it most likely will yeild greater detail at ISO3200 and 6400 than the K-5 due to its conservative RAW processing.

Hope this helps shed some light on things.

PS. I've been working on the low level NR case study for quite awhile now. And the entire project has turned into something that is far more demanding that I could have ever imagined. Partly due to my own learning curve and partly due to the number of unforeseen resultants that have come out of it. The short story is that everytime I walk away and return to study the files, I seem to uncover something new to add to the case study. However, the biggest drawback(without a doubt) has been the nature of the test images themselves. Which is where some wise ass(me) decided that US currency would prove to be the ultimate resolution test subject for our case study. Without ever knowing that Photoshop has a Bank Note Protection Scheme that inhibits any/and all scanning and editing of bank notes!

Therefore, as a result, we(dgaies and I) lost the ability to post process RAW's in ACR which forced us to run purely out of RPP and Photoshop.
However... even at that, without rhyme or reason and without warning, Photoshop will decide to terminate a process mid way through editing(arg!)

But... on a positive side, I also learned that 'IF' that happens.
It usually means that the integrity of the image is high enough to trigger Photoshop's bank note protection.
And I've had this happen on a few of the ISO3200 NR bi-pass images.
I'll let you make of that what you will

Thanks for reading...

Last edited by JohnBee; 11-11-2010 at 11:32 PM.
11-12-2010, 02:00 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This sounds like an issue that's rather too big to be turned into one line in a list of many things. I think it'd be better if this be dealt with on its own. Would you agree?
11-12-2010, 03:37 AM   #90

More then 999 interval shots. It's only 41 seconds if you convert the final result to a 24fps movie. (but still ten times better then my K20D)

SR priority. Just like AF-S with focus priority, but only shoot when the shaking has reached a level where the camera thinks it can handle it (with the current shutter speed). I like to do some fairly long exposures hand held, and sometimes the action of going from half press to full press has an impact. If I could full-press and the camera would wait for my hand to stop moving/shaking, I would probably get more usable shots. As it is now I usually do a series of 3-5 shots, hoping one of them are good. Probably need a 1-5 sensitivity setting or some people will never get a shot (my 100us$ P&S has this)