Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2010, 05:58 AM   #91
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Ok, here I have one firmware feature I don't immediately dismiss:

The option to develop the JPG to the right, whatever be the degree of underexposure, with highlight compression as applied in D-Range mode.
The wording of that would suggest that you feel all of the other features suggested are worthless. Is that what you meant to imply?
Just asking.

11-12-2010, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Some more :

A. Add a new option to C14 : Superimpose AF Area:
1. On
2. Off
3. On selection only.

This mode would display the currently selected AF point in the viewfinder when you move it around, but not when you trigger the AF.

B. Adapt the flash to the current ambient level in wireless controller mode
In low-light conditions, use a low-power sync flash so as not to register on the pic.
In sunlight, use a strong flash emission.

Currently, the sync flash in controller mode is stronger than the smallest amount possible, and so register quite easily in indoor, low-light situations

C. For manual lenses, use the focal length value for auto-iso handling
In Auto-iso mode, the camera should take into account the focal length value in order to handle auto-iso accordingly, so as to follow the same 1/FLx1.5 minimum shutter speed rule it applies with a recent lens.
Currently, it floors at 1/125 (in Normal auto-iso mode), for whatever focal length you have.
This would mean that the focal length should be asked even when SR is off.

D. In liveview, stop the SR when reviewing the shot
Currently, you can hear the SR still whirring while you review the shot just taken (auto-review, not Play).

E. Allow Movie mode on Preview Dial
One press switches to Movie mode, another goes back to stills mode.
If possible, keep the current stills mode for exposure control (with limits to the min shutter speed, of course):
- Green mode : it would behave just like the current movie mode in Auto aperture control.
- Av mode : you control aperture, ISO and EV comp. Auto-iso can be selected (would then behaves just like the current movie mode in Fixed aperture).
- Tv mode : you control speed, ISO and EV comp. Auto-ISO can be selected.
- M mode: you control Aperture, speed, ISO and EV comp (for green button). Auto-ISO cannot be selected.
- etc...
(I'd really dig this one!).

F. Allow Movie mode on Fx Button
One press switches to Movie mode, another goes back to stills mode.
Again, the current stills mode should be kept for exposure control.
(Cool too!).

G. Add a new option to C15 : AF-S setting:
1. Focus-priority
2. Release-priority
3. SR-priority

SR-priority would wait for both focus and SR to be ready.

Last edited by dlacouture; 11-12-2010 at 07:54 AM.
11-12-2010, 06:46 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
B. Adapt the flash to the current ambient level in wireless controller mode
In low-light conditions, use a low-power sync flash so as not to register on the pic.
In sunlight, use a strong flash emission.
Flash unit does have limited power. If you want to dim sunlight in the background, you may need more than one flash unit. Then you need to deal with Pentax's weird 1/180 synch speed. May be it's a nice-to-have feature, but no real need.

I need full control flash/light setting here, cannot depends on this feature in the camera. It's better to use ND filter(s) in combo with several flashes. Better with higher flash sync speed and lower iso than 80 (ie 25, 50 or lower)
11-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #94
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tcdk Quote
More then 999 interval shots. It's only 41 seconds if you convert the final result to a 24fps movie. (but still ten times better then my K20D)

SR priority. Just like AF-S with focus priority, but only shoot when the shaking has reached a level where the camera thinks it can handle it (with the current shutter speed). I like to do some fairly long exposures hand held, and sometimes the action of going from half press to full press has an impact. If I could full-press and the camera would wait for my hand to stop moving/shaking, I would probably get more usable shots. As it is now I usually do a series of 3-5 shots, hoping one of them are good. Probably need a 1-5 sensitivity setting or some people will never get a shot (my 100us$ P&S has this)
Shake Reduction priority??? Sorry...but I think it's nonsense.

I think it's better to discuss more universal options for ALL users which could be real,
not rather specific personal wishes...

11-12-2010, 07:40 AM   #95
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

I think it's better to discuss more universal options for ALL users which could be real,
not rather specific personal wishes...
Until you put it out there how on earth do you know? A SR confirmation bleep would be nice in those circumstances that you can't read the VF display.
11-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
This sounds like an issue that's rather too big to be turned into one line in a list of many things. I think it'd be better if this be dealt with on its own. Would you agree?
Any single item can be detailed to almost arbitrary level. This particular item is rather simple indeed.

"add an option to turn raw-level NR off or, make it kick in at a configurable ISO level."

I second this wish.

---------- Post added 11-12-10 at 05:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The wording of that would suggest that you feel all of the other features suggested are worthless. Is that what you meant to imply?
Just asking.
Parallax, why all the negativity? I don't get it...

I meant (and it was obvious) that now I made a proposal which I didn't immediately dismiss. Previously, I made three proposals which I dismissed for the purpose of this thread although they have been mine and I am convinced about their usefulness.
11-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Flash unit does have limited power. If you want to dim sunlight in the background, you may need more than one flash unit. Then you need to deal with Pentax's weird 1/180 synch speed. May be it's a nice-to-have feature, but no real need.

I need full control flash/light setting here, cannot depends on this feature in the camera. It's better to use ND filter(s) in combo with several flashes. Better with higher flash sync speed and lower iso than 80 (ie 25, 50 or lower)
I was not talking about having a more powerful on-board flash for Fill-in here, I was talking purely about the sync burst used in wireless controller mode.

In this mode, the on-board flash should not participate to the exposure (as is the case with other cameras such as the K20, or Kx), but with K7 & K5, Pentax upped this sync burst power, so much that it became visible when used in low-light, ambient-balancing situations.
I guess they did this to allow a better sync in full sun, but it's a real pain for indoor shots. You have to screen the on-board flash so it doesn't ruin the picture.

11-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #98

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Eh, so just because you have no use for it... it's nonsense?

I never missed the function before I got a p&s that has it (Casio EX-S10). I use it all the time there. Turning it on and and pressing the shutter, means the camera will not take a photo until you've hold it steady (you don't have to hold the shutter).

It's surprisingly useful.
11-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #99

On my 30 year old Ricoh XR-P on the motor drive it has hi/lo speed >2-5 >C_S_@-2_5 frames per sec. You would think that with the electronics to day you would be able to choose 2-4-6-8-10 F/S at your disposal, just my thought, you don't alway need 9 when 2 will do the high speed for car racing and 2 for the toddlers first walk.

11-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #100

More then 999 interval shots. It's only 41 seconds if you convert the final result to a 24fps movie. (but still ten times better then my K20D)
Good point. Seconded.

SR priority. Just like AF-S with focus priority, but only shoot when the shaking has reached a level where the camera thinks it can handle it (with the current shutter speed). I like to do some fairly long exposures hand held, and sometimes the action of going from half press to full press has an impact. If I could full-press and the camera would wait for my hand to stop moving/shaking, I would probably get more usable shots. As it is now I usually do a series of 3-5 shots, hoping one of them are good. Probably need a 1-5 sensitivity setting or some people will never get a shot (my 100us$ P&S has this)
Despite other's comments, i actually think this would be a great option to have. But it may only be helpful/useful if it has the 5 levels to choose from as suggested.

D. In liveview, stop the SR when reviewing the shot Currently, you can hear the SR still whirring while you review the shot just taken (auto-review, not Play).
I like it. Seconded. Could also improve battery life slightly.
11-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #101
Veteran Member

I have a simple firmware change that will not change to image quality but make archiving the images much easier.

I'd like to see the folder name be yy-mm-dd which still fits 8 characters or K5-yy-mm-dd.

I'd like to see the file name be yy-mm-dd-msec or K5-yy-mm-dd-msec.

We no longer live in an 8 character folder/file number from the DOS days. Let's enter the 21st century.

I'm totally against modifying the folder or file name on download to the computer as it does not adhere to the norm for archiving RAW type info. The RAW file on the computer should be exactly the same as in the camera.

Would help so much and such a small firmware change.

Naturally, I'd like true tethering and the items requested above.

RON C
11-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #102
Inactive Account

[langtitle=fr]The Sound[/langtitle]

Please... the sample rate 48000 hz
not 32000 hz
the sound is like an old tape

11-13-2010, 12:24 AM   #103

QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
We no longer live in an 8 character folder/file number from the DOS days. Let's enter the 21st century.

Microsoft has a lot of patents on all the "advanced" FAT stuff. Long file names are part of that and licensing it will add cost..
11-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #104

A. Add a new option to C14 : Superimpose AF Area:
1. On
2. Off
3. On selection only.

This mode would display the currently selected AF point in the viewfinder when you move it around, but not when you trigger the AF.
+1

C. For manual lenses, use the focal length value for auto-iso handling
In Auto-iso mode, the camera should take into account the focal length value in order to handle auto-iso accordingly, so as to follow the same 1/FLx1.5 minimum shutter speed rule it applies with a recent lens.
Currently, it floors at 1/125 (in Normal auto-iso mode), for whatever focal length you have.
This would mean that the focal length should be asked even when SR is off.
+1

D. In liveview, stop the SR when reviewing the shot
Currently, you can hear the SR still whirring while you review the shot just taken (auto-review, not Play).
Either I've misunderstood you or i don't agree. Having the SR on during a part of the quick preview (1s, 3s or 10s) is a good thing. The preview can start but you suddenly realise that you want another shot and then the SR doesn't need that time spooling up.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Good post btw.
11-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AntY Quote
Either I've misunderstood you or i don't agree. Having the SR on during a part of the quick preview (1s, 3s or 10s) is a good thing. The preview can start but you suddenly realise that you want another shot and then the SR doesn't need that time spooling up.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Good post btw.
Well, I'm pretty sure the time needed to go from quick preview to Liveview is greater than what SR actually needs to spool up.

Anyway, let's say that SR should be cut off if something is done while in quick preview, like zooming in or pressing info.