Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #31
Forum Member

I would really like to be able to set the quality of the JPEG embedded in PEF images. Right now the quality seems to be fixed at "very poor". A side effect of this is bad histogram combing for some shots.

- Phil

Last edited by boardhead; 11-09-2010 at 07:45 AM.
11-09-2010, 07:42 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
-- post deleted after end of project --

Last edited by falconeye; 11-20-2010 at 04:44 AM. Reason: no longer of any merit
11-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Great list Falk - I think the Fx button should really be opened up, would love to be able to assign it to turn on/off catch in focus as well as all the points you already listed (though having 5 name-able user settings does alleviate some of the Fx button's limited assignable attributes already).
11-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Great list Falk - I think the Fx button should really be opened up, would love to be able to assign it to turn on/off catch in focus as well as all the points you already listed (though having 5 name-able user settings does alleviate some of the Fx button's limited assignable attributes already).
Ok, this is a wishlist.

But I really think parts of the firmware need to be overhauled. Pentax follows the "one hand operates the camera" principle which is great. So, they didn't use much of the press button and simultaneously turn a dial philosophy. Currently, they only do so for the ISO and EV buttons. Some more buttons start a mode where the dials work too (MENU, INFO, PLAY).

It's not possible for every button position (for anatomic reasons). But to press a button and simultanesously turn a dial is a very powerful interface. E.g., Nikon uses it with a button located where Pentax has its focus mode selector to control the AF system (needs a 2nd hand but can be done while looking into the VF).

An obvious oversight is that the dial cannot change the burst mode after pressing the burst button. BTW, video should simply be a burst mode, with the various formats (24/25/30p) as submodes. This would allow to select it from within LV and map any burst mode (not just bracketing) to the Fx button.

All in all, wishlists are ok. But they have no impact compared to an accurate study of an improved interface with all details being sorted out.

11-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Falk, being a software engineer with my share of dumb GUI users, I'd love to work with you and others on a really detailed proposal to Pentax to improve the handling of the current bodies.

Amongst other "quirks" I've found (at least to me), one is that the ISO button has no real use in Av or Tv mode when Iso is set to a wheel, except to allow ISO+green Button to enable Auto-ISO, but it's kinda useless, as just pressing ISO could be made to have the same behavior in this case and would be easier to operate.

Same goes for Ev, BTW.

EDIT : even more, in this mode, I think that pressing the Green button alone enable Auto-iso, so ISO has really no use here, and thus there is nothing to change, really. I'll check later.
11-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Falk, being a software engineer with my share of dumb GUI users, I'd love to work with you and others on a really detailed proposal to Pentax to improve the handling of the current bodies.
I would welcome a worked out proposal. Unfortunately, I won't have the time to work on this myself. I can make comments when asked, though.

Something else are the little useful bits from the list above. After filtering, they may be a useful thing for Pentax to know about. But it cannot be a list of everything you can think about. Every commercial implementation must stop somewhere. So, after prefiltering, the list could be made a poll for the top seven.
11-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Falk, you are right in your criticism, but I didn't want to be the one to filter everyone's ideas, just because I started the thread. I'll have a further look at it tomorrow when I have some more time.

In any case, thanks for your comment.

11-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 for Tethering, FX button SR on/off, mirror lockup and lower ISO...

Mike
11-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #39

Sorry about my english, I'm a french speaker...

I might be wrong but I have the feeling that the AF assist (green little light) works only within the green mode.

I believe it should work within any mode and we could choose to enable it or not
11-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #40
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BEDON Quote
Sorry about my english, I'm a french speaker...

I might be wrong but I have the feeling that the AF assist (green little light) works only within the green mode.

I believe it should work within any mode and we could choose to enable it or not
AF Assist light is available in all modes in AF-S. And you can turn it off in the custom settings.
11-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #41
Veteran Member

ohhhh and +1 for the 2 focus distance idea...
11-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Found another one on DPReview : in SEL AF mode, revert to focus point selection on half-press.

This way, you always know how to enter the Fn mode : a long press on OK.

I found this sharing of the OK button a little awkward...
11-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #43
Pentaxian

A "User Menu" where one can assign frequently used menu items.
11-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
*Autorotation during playback (2x)
- not undebated
+ if there is a consensus
If this is an option, I don't see why we'd need consensus. The K-7 did it and I believe had the option to turn it off. I liked that a lot and miss it on the K-5.
11-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
A "User Menu" where one can assign frequently used menu items.
One of my favorite things about Nikon's menu system...