Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 01:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-5 pros/cons

Pros:

Low light: This is a camera that takes great low light pictures, you can push the ISO up pretty high and still get great pictures. This was the biggest reason for me to upgrade. I had a hard time taking pictures of my kids in various performances with terrible lighting conditions. Obviously one needs a good lens. But with my old camera I had to throw too many away. This camera combined with the DA 50-135mm lens is one terrific package (see it on the video review: Videoclips about Pentax K-5 Digital Camera ) for such situations.

Weight/Size: this is the most compact camera at such a level that you will find.

Weather resistant: This is a weather resistant camera! Combine this with a weather resistant lens and you are all set.

Electronic Level: I thought this was a gimmick but after using it for a few days, I find it indispensable to take level photos.

User Selectable Focus points: these are standard in expensive cameras, nothing special if you have used such cameras before but for somone upgrading I quickly found out how convenient this was.

Shake reduction: Pentax unlike Nikon/Canon has shake reduction built into the camera, so any lens you put on it has shake reduction function.

Lenses: Pentax has small pancake lenses called limited lenses. Try these if you are new to Pentax. They are superb and great to walk around with without looking like a dork.

Cons: Expensive...

11-08-2010, 02:36 AM   #2
Inactive Account

With the K-5 i got the pause a bit taking the stairs up (D-SLR from k100d to K-7). I agree with you that camera buying (so does the lens) is a real blow in everyone's pocket, but since the K-5 suppresses the K-7 weaknesses i thought that i should at least now satisfied with ths gear. K20D/K-7 still my muscle in portraiture with controlled lighting so at least those two still have their duties. Alltho K-7 does not satisfy me in low ambient but then it's small size ergonomics/handling find its place in my bag most of the time.
K-5 now find its rightful place, gives me in good mood since the new found low ambient exposure ( with less/none computer processing).

...buaobao
11-08-2010, 02:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not expensive for the features. The only cons I see are amateur video on a pro level camera.
11-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #4
Inactive Account

En tiedä onko hyvää vai huonoa, mutta mikä oikeasti kiikastaa, kun ei K-5 tule.

Onko prosesorit loppunut sonyn tehtailta, eikä usia tule vai onko työtavat vanhoja.
Epäilen että joudutaan kesken kaiken vaihtamaan koko rosessori Ja muuttamaan

Mallin nimeä ”K-5 II”.

11-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I haven't given the price a second thought. Especially after I pulled This

out of This

The bi-directional level is a huge improvement over the K7. I no longer have to fiddle around with getting my tripod perfectly set up. Just get it close, view the level, and adjust the ball head until both read level. That's the only place I'll ever use it but maybe now, I'll use the tripod more.

I still think the K7 is a great camera but the K5 is leaps better. Nope. Not worried about the price at all.

Last edited by JeffJS; 11-08-2010 at 12:01 PM.
11-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Whoa!

Oh i think you put your signature on the wrong version of that photo.

Whoa. Thats amazing by the way.
11-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Pro: I think we all know these things ...

Cons: -thethering, small buffer; both are not important to me ;-)

11-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gubak Quote
Pros:

Cons: Expensive...
I don't think k-5 is priced so high that it can be called a 'con'. Afterall, the sensor is better than that of the 2500$ 5DII and 2400$ D700.

To add to the con list:
1. AF tracking

And then some people may add another con
2. Not a Nikon or Canon.
11-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Whoa!

Oh i think you put your signature on the wrong version of that photo.

Whoa. Thats amazing by the way.
The signature is on both, you just can't see it in the small sized photo. Click the photo for the full sized one.

11-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's nothing wrong with the cost in the abstract: it's only a problem in relationship to my bank account.

I understand that the media card door is the same as on the K-7 so I'd have to put that down as a con but it hardly out weighs all those pros.
11-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Afterall, the sensor is better than that of the 2500$ 5DII and 2400$ D700.
Oh please. Stop with the nonsense. It's a fine camera, but let's not get silly over it.

It has great dynamic range numbers, and maybe that drove up the overall score, but it's far below either camera in High ISO. and darn near dead even in color depth.

The only con that I can see is that the D7000 is pretty close to the K5, and is cheaper. It also comes with a better overall system available.

But it's a dead on winner for Pentax. I'm happy for them. This will really take the wind out of the sales of the guy at Hunts who told me "Pentax isn't what it used to be".

Last edited by AGWoodard; 11-08-2010 at 12:22 PM.
11-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by AGWoodard Quote
Oh please. Stop with the nonsense. It's a fine camera, but let's not get silly over it.

It has great dynamic range numbers, and maybe that drove up the overall score, but it's far below either camera in High ISO. and darn near dead even in color depth.

The only con that I can see is that the D7000 is pretty close to the K5, and is cheaper. It also comes with a better overall system available.

But it's a dead on winner for Pentax. I'm happy for them. This will really take the wind out of the sales of the guy at Hunts who told me "Pentax isn't what it used to be".
Its all about perspective, some may value Dynamic Range over lower ISO. Also the smaller body...