Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K5 Viewfinder Question

It is great Pentax finally occupies a King of the Hill position with cameras--long time coming if you ask me. The ISO performance & DR output of the K5 would have been unbelievable when I bought my K20d, only 2.5 years ago. But my question for this thread revolves around the viewfinder.

I have read that the APS-c viewfinder, theoretically, could be made as good as one in a fF camera, but expense and demand have worked together, thus far, to stop that from happening. But for me, and I know for others too, it is the splendid viewfinder of FF which makes me want to own one.

For those of you who have a K5, and have used a K20, can you comment on the differences between each camera's viewfinder? My gut is the K5 is little improved over the K20, which, for APS-c, is actually excellent--but I am hoping for more in a viewfinder in APS-c. Thanks in advance.

11-08-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's the same OVF found in the K-7; which gives full 100% frame coverage and is essentially as good as you're going to see in an APS-C design. The advantage to FF OVF's are size (and therefore clarity for MF) and a more obvious in-focus impact inherent with thinner DOF wide-open on FF designs.
11-09-2010, 12:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Modest Mouse: You have confirmed my gut feelings--thanks--I thinkt he K20d has %98 coverage--no step up from k7 Yes, I understand the advantage FF offers in a viewfinder. I have read though, that APS-c viewfinders could be made as good---it would be expensive, but then the K5 is already getting up there. How much more would it cost to put an excellent viewfinder in the next Pentax body?

On a better note, I hear the Live View is very good on the K5. On the K20, it isn't something to write home about. So, it might be possible for more accurate manual focusing via the K5s Live View.
11-09-2010, 01:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you shoot close-ups and macro or require precise composition in-camera (especially at the edges of the frame), there is no substitute for a 100% viewfinder coverage offered by the K-5/K-7.
The K-20D/K10D has a field of view of 95% and trust me, that difference in viewfinder coverage does have a difference.

11-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
creampuff If you shoot close-ups and macro or require precise composition in-camera (especially at the edges of the frame), there is no substitute for a 100% viewfinder coverage offered by the K-5/K-7.
The K-20D/K10D has a field of view of 95% and trust me, that difference in viewfinder coverage does have a difference.
I appreciuate the help, frrm both of you guys. I do not doubt there is a viewfinder difference between the K20d and K5 which is appreciable, and I do lots of macro work. However, the difference, for me, is unfortunately not enough. My eyes are far from what they used to be, and I now use a 1.3 eyepiece magnifer and split prism. I would employ these tools with the K5, which would take the edges out of the viewfinder.

My hopes for the K5 were that it would improve upon the K7, via some of the new technology which is making manual focusing more precise these days in other cameras. I think we may be 2 or 3 years away from a specialized EVF, perhaps one which works with a viewfinder, & one which makes manual focusuing a joy again. I know there is a market for this. High ISO and DR are very important, but compositon & focsing are elementary.
11-10-2010, 05:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I now use a 1.3 eyepiece magnifer and split prism. I would employ these tools with the K5
I'm using the O-ME53 magnifier on the K-5 and can see the entire frame, although I have to move my eyes a bit if I want to read the status bar on the bottom. With the magnifier I have a 100% coverage and 1.1 magnification FF-sized viewfinder
11-10-2010, 05:36 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
I'm using the O-ME53 magnifier on the K-5 and can see the entire frame, although I have to move my eyes a bit if I want to read the status bar on the bottom. With the magnifier I have a 100% coverage and 1.1 magnification FF-sized viewfinder
Hi,what is the O-M53 magnifier and where would one obtain one of these? thanks.

11-10-2010, 06:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kryss Quote
Hi,what is the O-M53 magnifier and where would one obtain one of these? thanks.
You can get it here for example. I'm sure Google can give you more shops and info
11-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #9

I heard that k7/k5 can achieved 100% coverage because of the SR function. Anyone can provide more info on this?
11-10-2010, 08:32 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yipchunyu Quote
I heard that k7/k5 can achieved 100% coverage because of the SR function. Anyone can provide more info on this?
Well, it stands to reason that with the sensor moving around, you are going to miss 100% viewfinder, but then, with sensor based SR, you aren't taking the same picture as what you are seeing no matter what the viewfinder coverage is.
With SR off and the camera on a tripod, it is as close to 100% as I can tell.
This kind of stuff is a tempest in a teapot.