Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 04:51 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Setting up a new K5...

Well my shipping info came today! Should be here in a day or two. The question is, for those K5 (and even K7) owners, how have you set up your camera? What custom modes have you created and why? What noise reduction setting will you dial in for your "regular" shooting? Etc, Etc. I think that makes the point. There are so many feature which will be new to me that any advice will help to limit the fumbling around for the first few days and help me get to taking pics! Thanks in advance...

11-09-2010, 07:14 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you'll have to tailor them to your needs- I'm leaving most of the AF/NR settings on auto, but lowering the auto iso range to 100-400. Also, I've fiddled with the custom image settings to increase sharpness by one and both saturation and contrast by two.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-09-2010, 07:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

First thing you do on any new Pentax body is go into the custom functions and set "Allow aperture ring" to 2. This needs to be the default already!
11-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
First thing you do on any new Pentax body is go into the custom functions and set "Allow aperture ring" to 2. This needs to be the default already!
Most definitely!

I was thinking about starting a thread regarding the user modes - perhaps this would be a good place to have suggestions for the 5 user definable modes. I've never really bothered with them in the past, but having 5 slots that can be re-named has piqued my interest.

I decided to go with the following:

1. Low ISO (80-200), NR on set to Av mode.

2. Hi ISO (80-25600), NR auto and set to Tv mode.

3. Catch in focus (ISO 80-6400), NR Auto and set to TAv mode.

4. Cross process (80-6400), NR auto and Program mode.

5. Black and white (80-6400) NR auto and Program mode.

Let's hear some other suggestions!

11-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think you'll have to tailor them to your needs- I'm leaving most of the AF/NR settings on auto, but lowering the auto iso range to 100-400. Also, I've fiddled with the custom image settings to increase sharpness by one and both saturation and contrast by two.
I am sure that as time goes on, I will find the sweet spot for the different settings as they apply to me, but I have always found it helpful to have a "jumping off point" rather than to start from scratch. I like the idea of limiting auto iso to that range. In what modes does auto iso engage (I know its a basic question)? When switching modes (tv-av for instance) do your settings automatically carry over? Thanks!
11-09-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Scottie137 Quote
I am sure that as time goes on, I will find the sweet spot for the different settings as they apply to me, but I have always found it helpful to have a "jumping off point" rather than to start from scratch. I like the idea of limiting auto iso to that range. In what modes does auto iso engage (I know its a basic question)? When switching modes (tv-av for instance) do your settings automatically carry over? Thanks!
Auto ISO will remain the same (assuming you have it turned on!) in P, Av and Tv - Sv is ISO mode, so it is selected with the dial, TAv is a semi manual mode with the user adjusting aperture and shutter and the camera selecting ISO (I think it will use the same setting you have for auto as well though). M mode is fixed ISO.

The settings will obviously get tuned to your liking as you go along and get used to the camera - it would be great to get other's input here too as everyone has a different perspective!
11-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
1. Low ISO (80-200), NR on set to Av mode.
Why do you have NR on at these low ISOs? I don't have my K-5 yet, but wouldn't think it would be needed.

11-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was thinking about starting a thread regarding the user modes - perhaps this would be a good place to have suggestions for the 5 user definable modes. Let's hear some other suggestions!
1. Tripod mode
SR off, 2 sec. mirror up delay, ISO80, Av

2. Flash mode
SR off, ISO 400, Av

3. Wife mode
P-mode with E-dials turned off, auto-iso, AF enabled on shutter release. Basically the same as green-mode, but with raw-files instead of jpg-files.
11-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JamieP Quote
Why do you have NR on at these low ISOs? I don't have my K-5 yet, but wouldn't think it would be needed.
Good question now that you mention it! Kind of moot since I have NR set to off in the custom settings for those ISO levels anyway I think I confused myself with DFS on this one.
11-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Wife mode, great idea (seriously!) - except maybe in the first slot in case she can't find it...!
11-09-2010, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #11

Wife mode, great idea (seriously!) - except maybe in the first slot in case she can't find it...!
really guys? can we get any more chauvinistic? Evolution has happened...at least to some of us
11-09-2010, 09:24 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
really guys? can we get any more chauvinistic? Evolution has happened...at least to some of us
What's chauvinistic about it? My wife has little interest in taking up photography as a hobby for herself and anything I can do to make it easier for her to use the camera (for the few times she picks it up)she would welcome. I imagine a female photographer might label it husband mode (if she had a husband who found the camera challenging). He didn't say helpless female mode or silly girl mode....
11-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I was going to comment about calling it spouse mode rather than wife mode, but didn't think it would be a big deal....guess I was wrong? Agree with Scottie here - if you have a significant other who couldn't care less/doesn't know their way around an advanced DSLR's features, setting up something even more convenient than the green slot on the mode dial would be great. sure the Green mode works, but the above minor tweaks add to it when you change things such as focus with the AF button and disable focus with the shutter.
11-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How about "novice mode"
11-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'd also spend the time using AF correction on all your lenses. You want to make sure that you are getting the absolute best performance from each lens on this body, so use what was given to you.

- Jason